?
Report 6 years ago
can someone upload the paper?
Anon 17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If no one's done it by the time I've finished my M2 mock I'll scan the paper in.
actuarialmaestro:p
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
****.. **** ****.... think I have probably failed it... only 1 complete solution..2 partial solutions and other fragmentary answers..... really worried now...
alvina9894
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The paper was really hard. Got two full solutions and one question towards the end, one question with part one done... anyone got a solution to question 13?
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
See attached
Attached files
Thing8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
one full solution, three to the last part
JoshC.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, that was a bloodbath, wasn't it?

I didn't get one full solution, which annoyed me and really knocked my confidence. I nearly got the differential equation (Q8?) but my mind blanked on how to do a pretty standard integral.. Almost got te integration one too (Q5?), but got bogged down in algebra.

Q1 and Q4 I got half answers; I kept making stupid errors like (p^2)p=p^2 on one of them. Also made an attempt on Q2 - should've started it earlier, as I was getting somewhere but started it too late. . Also upset at the lack of a trig question.

I think if I get a 2 I'll be lucky. I'm disappointed in myself for not doing as well as I should've, but at least it's a learning curve. Hopefully this has prepared me mentally for STEP II..
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did anyone fully do question 1? I got the first part, and then showed that the min of the sum of the distances of P and Q was whatever thjey said. But when it came to doing the same with the distances between P and Q, i couldn't get a value of m out of the dy/dx=0 to put back in the distance equation.

I then tried question 2 and failed- i managed the graph and its stationary points i think, confused my self (stupidly) about the stating part, then found the two values of a for which dy/dx=0 and d2y/dx2=0 but then decided to cut my losses and move on.

I then attempted the integration question, got the first of the three integrals and then got stuck.

Then i moved onto the differential equation question (q8?) showed the transformation worked, got a solution to the diff equation but couldn't put it into the form they wanted so i moved on and tried the same substitution for the last part which worked but since it just asked for a general solution (no particular form) i just left it in my messy form.

Then i tried the cool question about dropping the stone in the well- the scary looking show that was actually fairly easy i thought. Then had to rearrange to show D=... started it but it would have been a tedious process of squaring and moving all radicals to one side and repeating and getting it in their exact form would have been time consuming and i was running out of time. Then attempted the last part which was the estimation of the well depth which went fine.

Just before time was up i made a superficial start at the mechanics question just before that (not worth more than 1-3 marks imo).

Expecting 50-60 marks which isn't really safe enough for a 2 .

What about you guys? How did you find it?
shanban
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It feels like it was days ago and I don't remember much of my answers, I think I just about got 1 full solution, and 3 decent attempts (all but the last part of the q) and then a couple of just random starts...aiming for a 2 but actually doubt I've got it did anyone get something along the lines of b>9, -13<b<9 etc for q2?
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
DEFINITELY found it harder than the last few years... I ended up with 1 full solution, 3 solutions about half to two-thirds complete and then did the very start of 2 other questions. Hopefully nice low boundaries .
TheJ0ker
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
3 full solutions, one which was probably ~18/20 and one which I got about 3 quarters the way through due to time constraints.

What to people think the grade boundaries will be like?

I will do model (to the best of my ability) answers to Q1, Q4 and Q8 if people want, also maybe Q9 if I can find out where I made an algebraic slip up and Q3 if I can be bothered to finish it.
Wahrheit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by In One Ear)
Did anyone fully do question 1? I got the first part, and then showed that the min of the sum of the distances of P and Q was whatever thjey said. But when it came to doing the same with the distances between P and Q, i couldn't get a value of m out of the dy/dx=0 to put back in the distance equation.

I then tried question 2 and failed- i managed the graph and its stationary points i think, confused my self (stupidly) about the stating part, then found the two values of a for which dy/dx=0 and d2y/dx2=0 but then decided to cut my losses and move on.

I then attempted the integration question, got the first of the three integrals and then got stuck.

Then i moved onto the differential equation question (q8?) showed the transformation worked, got a solution to the diff equation but couldn't put it into the form they wanted so i moved on and tried the same substitution for the last part which worked but since it just asked for a general solution (no particular form) i just left it in my messy form.

Then i tried the cool question about dropping the stone in the well- the scary looking show that was actually fairly easy i thought. Then had to rearrange to show D=... started it but it would have been a tedious process of squaring and moving all radicals to one side and repeating and getting it in their exact form would have been time consuming and i was running out of time. Then attempted the last part which was the estimation of the well depth which went fine.

Just before time was up i made a superficial start at the mechanics question just before that (not worth more than 1-3 marks imo).

Expecting 50-60 marks which isn't really safe enough for a 2 .

What about you guys? How did you find it?
50-60 should be safe for a 2, I'm expecting the 1 boundary to be mid 60s to be honest...
alvina9894
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is the last part of Q1 (a^2/3 + b^2/3)^3/2 ? Anyone got the same thing?
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone tell me how to do the integral of cos(2x)ln((cosx))? I still haven't figured it out.
shanban
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hoping the boundary for a 2 will be between 40 and 50! Unlikely, I know
Wahrheit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by james22)
Can anyone tell me how to do the integral of cos(2x)ln((cosx))? I still haven't figured it out.
Just use parts .
tizza1394
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone got ideas on boundaries?
xxxxkrishyxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wahrheit)
Just use parts .
Omg, I'm such an idiot, that didn't even occur to me in the exam, I was trying to find a suitable substitution >;(
Lois:)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by james22)
I went straight into by parts, then sin^2 came out nicely, just needed sorting out with cos2x etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did you find the exam?