Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My bro is just making his subject choices for A levels.. he's in his GCSE year and predicted all A*s (but he couldn't really care less).. so I'm the worried one fussing about the appropriate subject combination for him.

So far, he's quite keen on taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Economics and English Lit. The thing is that, our favourite History teacher is persuading him to take History, though I'm quite concerned about the workload he's gonna have to manage. 6 subjects is quite a burden, and I'm speaking from experience because I'm doing 6 myself though my 6th is General Studies which is not counted.

I'm just wondering if his subject combi is appropriate, and what medical schools should he aim for if he gets all As. He does not want to go to Oxbridge (he got really discouraged by my rejection) and we're not very well informed about the strengths of other unis.

Any comments would be appreicated. xoxo

ReputationRep:
    is this A levels or IB or what?

I can't understand how people can do 6 A Levels and still have time left for all the other extra curricular things you need to do to get into medicine. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    is this A levels or IB or what?

I can't understand how people can do 6 A Levels and still have time left for all the other extra curricular things you need to do to get into medicine. :confused:
    Yes A Levels.

I did 6 A Levels.. sigh.. 6 is a heavy workload but manageable. 2-3 hours a day of solid work and I can complete most of it. Also 2-3 hours a day of extra curricular activities. Maybe coz' my bro and I are in a controlled repressive boarding school which manages our time for us. I'm not a very sporty person apart from swimming, but my bro is on the rugby, atheletics, football and sailing teams.. so he's got quite a handful. I am always amazed at his ability to do so much.

ReputationRep:
    if I may ask .. why ? Is it necessary ? 2-3 hours per day wouldn't leave me with enough time for everything else !

ReputationRep:
    if I may ask .. why ? Is it necessary ? 2-3 hours per day wouldn't leave me with enough time for everything else !
    We have 'study time' in boarding school. So yeh.. it's a sad life with not much else to do.

ReputationRep:
    6 sounds rather a lot to be honest. Medschool offers will be based on 3 subjects only. They couldn't care less how many others you do.

ReputationRep:
    If at boarding school, how can he do volunteering and similar things ? Med schools want this, and on a regular basis for a long period of time. It's not really something he can just do in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    doing 6 won't increase his chances of being offered a place,a s far as I'm aware. and why should it ?!

ReputationRep:
    If at boarding school, how can he do volunteering and similar things ? Med schools want this, and on a regular basis for a long period of time. It's not really something he can just do in the holidays.
    The school arranges it. And we go home on weekends. My dad's a doctor so my bro has been volunteering every week since he was 11.

ReputationRep:
    doing 6 won't increase his chances of being offered a place,a s far as I'm aware. and why should it ?!
    Coz' it's standard to do 5 in our school, but the Maths teacher is convinced that he can easily get an A for F Maths.. so without having extra classes, there's a special class that do Maths and F Maths as one subject. They just work extra fast.

ReputationRep:
    school arranges it, I'd rather get off my arse and do something for myself.

ReputationRep:
    I think he should organise something independent of your fathers job - He needs to show some 'self initiative' and make it clear he wants a career in medicine, rather than doing it because med is in the family. Most hospitals don't allow under 16's to volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    I think he should organise something independent of your fathers job - He needs to show some 'self initiative' and make it clear he wants a career in medicine, rather than doing it because med is in the family. Most hospitals don't allow under 16's to volunteer.
    Nono.. my dad's friends who work in hospitals have allowed him to volunteer.. and my bro used to work in Interact Club (some community service thing for students under the Rotary Club). We don't have rules about age limits in hospitals in this part of the world.

He never wanted to do medicine.. just did the volunteering because it's just something my family encourages. Only last year did he choose medicine after my dad being extremely discouraging (kept telling him about the workload and stress etc...) so I'm quite convinced he's really dedicated.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough.
    So any good med schools?

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean ? IMO all the med schools are good. You know that his combination of A Levels will be sufficient, I think that's what the thread was initially all about ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh.. the only prob is that med schools all require interviews and that's 4 trips to the UK if they choose to hold their interviews at different times! Poor fellow.

My friends are applying to places like Southampton and Liverpool. But most took triple sciences + double maths. Physics isn't necessary right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    So any good med schools?
    Judging from the medics in my school some good med schools r:
    -Oxford
    -Cambridge
    -UCL
    -Imperial
    -Kings
    -Glasgow
    -Edinburgh
    -Bristol
    -Newcastle
    -Nottingham

to be honest it doesnt really matter where u get your degree. Just getting into medicine is an acheivment in itself. But with your brothers outstanding results - he should really get into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    right.

where exactly are you then ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    So any good med schools?
    In the UK...Imperial, UCL, Kings (all in London though...so you might consider cost)....southampton, ediburgh v. good...but in Scotland...so might not want that.

Newcastle is also very good for medicine as well as manchester

G

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.