Turn on thread page Beta

Advice for prospective Medic - not me, my bro :) watch

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is a very good med school; I have at least 20 people in my hall taking medicine or biological sciences, and they do get on like one big family; the social events are plentiful, especially compared to other courses.

A flatmate got 4As in his college, but as is standard procedure still had to go through an interview.

ReputationRep:
    we don't even know his results yet ... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)
    Manchester is a very good med school; I have at least 20 people in my hall taking medicine or biological sciences, and they do get on like one big family; the social events are plentiful, especially compared to other courses.

A flatmate got 4As in his college, but as is standard procedure still had to go through an interview.
    Yeh.. the interview can be quite an inconvenience, especially since we live so far away from the UK. Sometimes they do come over to Singapore/KL though.. so maybe he can go to those. I dont know why he doesn't seem to care about Uni at this stage... weird guy.

ReputationRep:
    Because he's taking 6 A Levels and really needs a good break?

ReputationRep:
    probably because he is in Y11! I don't know of anyone who was even thinking of Uni in Y11, autumn term of AS is when we really began.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    probably because he is in Y11! I don't know of anyone who was even thinking of Uni in Y11, autumn term of AS is when we really began.
    I remember thinking...i have loads of time till any decisions have to be made....but to be fair...the time passes really quickly cos you're so busy with exams...

G

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, didn't read that. He's got plenty of time to think about it. I wasn't seriously looking at the unis until the summer before the start of the second college year.

ReputationRep:
    he doesnt need to worry. you can halve your results and give them to him. i once considered taking med but decided i wasnt giving enough.

ReputationRep:
    And nothing's wrong with taking 6 subjects for the challenge. I took 6 as well, quite similar to your brothers. Chem Bio double maths lit and history and it was easy for me. I was no star student in GCSE and quite the opposite in fact. Plus apart from Chem and Bio, you and your brother are doing the exact same subjects so you could always help out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Yeh.. the interview can be quite an inconvenience, especially since we live so far away from the UK. Sometimes they do come over to Singapore/KL though.. so maybe he can go to those. I dont know why he doesn't seem to care about Uni at this stage... weird guy.
    Will all these unis still interview overseas candidates??

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Will all these unis still interview overseas candidates??

G
    From what I've read, it is compulsary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    From what I've read, it is compulsary.
    Really?!?! I reckon that's crazy...does that mean people from overseas would have to pay for 4 return journeys to the UK for these interviews...or do they give some kind of travel subsidy??

G

ReputationRep:
    Really?!?! I reckon that's crazy...does that mean people from overseas would have to pay for 4 return journeys to the UK for these interviews...or do they give some kind of travel subsidy??

G
    Lolz.. yes we have to pay. It's quite a bum really.. but nevermind..

ReputationRep:
    Lolz.. yes we have to pay. It's quite a bum really.. but nevermind..
    That's terrible!!! Don't worry...when you're a lawyer...you can sue them for expenses or something...and a great lawyer you'll be too!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible!!! Don't worry...when you're a lawyer...you can sue them for expenses or something...and a great lawyer you'll be too!!!

G
    Nah..

I'm just gonna employ the help of my twin. See, I do have quite smart people in my family. He's gonna be a great lawyer.. Cambridge graduate, so I'm not worrying about him!

ROTFLOL.... ahahahaha.. *holds side in pain*...

ReputationRep:
    Nah..

I'm just gonna employ the help of my twin. See, I do have quite smart people in my family. He's gonna be a great lawyer.. Cambridge graduate, so I'm not worrying about him!

ROTFLOL.... ahahahaha.. *holds side in pain*...
    It's ok....me and my twin will team up methinks.....unstoppable!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    It's ok....me and my twin will team up methinks.....unstoppable!!!!

G
    With your cats, dogs, snails and sheep maybe?

ReputationRep:
    With your cats, dogs, snails and sheep maybe?
    Hmmmmm....yes....yes......they are MINE!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm....yes....yes......they are MINE!!!

G
    *snorts*... okay we're way off topic...I WANT CAKE

ReputationRep:
    *snorts*... okay we're way off topic...I WANT CAKE
    Haha!! Only slightly off topic....animals are part of biology whch is kinda o do with medicine....oh dear...i've ruined your thread.....

Remember...you can have your cake...but i'll eat it!

G

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.