Advice for prospective Medic - not me, my bro :)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Icarus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Manchester is a very good med school; I have at least 20 people in my hall taking medicine or biological sciences, and they do get on like one big family; the social events are plentiful, especially compared to other courses.

A flatmate got 4As in his college, but as is standard procedure still had to go through an interview.
Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
we don't even know his results yet ... lol
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Icarus)
Manchester is a very good med school; I have at least 20 people in my hall taking medicine or biological sciences, and they do get on like one big family; the social events are plentiful, especially compared to other courses.

A flatmate got 4As in his college, but as is standard procedure still had to go through an interview.
Yeh.. the interview can be quite an inconvenience, especially since we live so far away from the UK. Sometimes they do come over to Singapore/KL though.. so maybe he can go to those. I dont know why he doesn't seem to care about Uni at this stage... weird guy.
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because he's taking 6 A Levels and really needs a good break?
Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
probably because he is in Y11! I don't know of anyone who was even thinking of Uni in Y11, autumn term of AS is when we really began.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Butterfly)
probably because he is in Y11! I don't know of anyone who was even thinking of Uni in Y11, autumn term of AS is when we really began.
I remember thinking...i have loads of time till any decisions have to be made....but to be fair...the time passes really quickly cos you're so busy with exams...

G
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, didn't read that. He's got plenty of time to think about it. I wasn't seriously looking at the unis until the summer before the start of the second college year.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he doesnt need to worry. you can halve your results and give them to him. i once considered taking med but decided i wasnt giving enough.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And nothing's wrong with taking 6 subjects for the challenge. I took 6 as well, quite similar to your brothers. Chem Bio double maths lit and history and it was easy for me. I was no star student in GCSE and quite the opposite in fact. Plus apart from Chem and Bio, you and your brother are doing the exact same subjects so you could always help out.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Yeh.. the interview can be quite an inconvenience, especially since we live so far away from the UK. Sometimes they do come over to Singapore/KL though.. so maybe he can go to those. I dont know why he doesn't seem to care about Uni at this stage... weird guy.
Will all these unis still interview overseas candidates??

G
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Will all these unis still interview overseas candidates??

G
From what I've read, it is compulsary.
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
From what I've read, it is compulsary.
Really?!?! I reckon that's crazy...does that mean people from overseas would have to pay for 4 return journeys to the UK for these interviews...or do they give some kind of travel subsidy??

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Really?!?! I reckon that's crazy...does that mean people from overseas would have to pay for 4 return journeys to the UK for these interviews...or do they give some kind of travel subsidy??

G
Lolz.. yes we have to pay. It's quite a bum really.. but nevermind..
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lolz.. yes we have to pay. It's quite a bum really.. but nevermind..
That's terrible!!! Don't worry...when you're a lawyer...you can sue them for expenses or something...and a great lawyer you'll be too!!!

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
That's terrible!!! Don't worry...when you're a lawyer...you can sue them for expenses or something...and a great lawyer you'll be too!!!

G
Nah..

I'm just gonna employ the help of my twin. See, I do have quite smart people in my family. He's gonna be a great lawyer.. Cambridge graduate, so I'm not worrying about him!

ROTFLOL.... ahahahaha.. *holds side in pain*...
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nah..

I'm just gonna employ the help of my twin. See, I do have quite smart people in my family. He's gonna be a great lawyer.. Cambridge graduate, so I'm not worrying about him!

ROTFLOL.... ahahahaha.. *holds side in pain*...
It's ok....me and my twin will team up methinks.....unstoppable!!!!

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
It's ok....me and my twin will team up methinks.....unstoppable!!!!

G
With your cats, dogs, snails and sheep maybe?
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
With your cats, dogs, snails and sheep maybe?
Hmmmmm....yes....yes......they are MINE!!!

G
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Hmmmmm....yes....yes......they are MINE!!!

G
*snorts*... okay we're way off topic...I WANT CAKE
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*snorts*... okay we're way off topic...I WANT CAKE
Haha!! Only slightly off topic....animals are part of biology whch is kinda o do with medicine....oh dear...i've ruined your thread.....

Remember...you can have your cake...but i'll eat it!

G
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (2)
12.5%
Confident (5)
31.25%
Indifferent (0)
0%
Unsure (6)
37.5%
Worried (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads