The Student Room Group

Oxford Student Shadowing (March 3rd)

Hi,

I'm new around here, but I was just wondering if anyone will be attending the student shadowing at Oxford on Wednesday. It was originally at Lady Margaret Hall, but I believe it's been relocated to St John's.

I'll be attending, I'm 16 and from Greenhead College, Huddersfield (that's in Yorkshire for all you southern types :tongue:). I'm interested in doing CompSci.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that is going to be there :smile:

Rob
robjs
Hi,

I'm new around here, but I was just wondering if anyone will be attending the student shadowing at Oxford on Wednesday. It was originally at Lady Margaret Hall, but I believe it's been relocated to St John's.

I'll be attending, I'm 16 and from Greenhead College, Huddersfield (that's in Yorkshire for all you southern types :tongue:). I'm interested in doing CompSci.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that is going to be there :smile:

Rob

Hmm. My best friend went to a Shadowing Day at LMH on Tuesday (24th)? Thus, it was not relocated, it still existed. I went to an Informal Open Day at St Anne's yesterday, and I sadly can't skip too many days of school to visit Oxford :wink:
Reply 2
I went to Christ Church last year.
Reply 3
Ah, I see. I was told that it had been "moved" by my tutor on Friday.

deianra: Was the day useful for your friend who went? I'm looking forward to experiencing the lectures at Oxford. I'm planning to apply to Cambridge though.

fishpaste: What did you think of it?

Rob
robjs
Ah, I see. I was told that it had been "moved" by my tutor on Friday.

deianra: Was the day useful for your friend who went? I'm looking forward to experiencing the lectures at Oxford. I'm planning to apply to Cambridge though.

Rob

Well, my friend was shadowing Law and the girl didn't have any lectures or tutorials in the morning so they just sat there and had a nice chat. Also, she lives in Reading, like me, which is 20 minutes from Oxford and we had already been college hopping before, and knew mostly everything that was said on that day.

Still good experience though - just don't expect too much as shadowing only for 2 hours I think.
Reply 5
I was going to volunteer to be shadowed, but decided it would be quite boring for the person being the shadow - I can see how it would work in science subjects, but as an arts student I have a few lectures here and there, but spend most of my time on language work/reading for essays and then writing, which really wouldn't be that interesting to watch...!
Reply 6
robjs

Rob

It wasn't really as good as the Cambridge one. The people who run it are really nice. And the friends I made I still talk to now. It was a good view of Oxford though, first thing they made us do when we got there is swear the little initiation to the bodleian declaration (don't know what it's called) in front of everybody, it's something along the lines of "I will not set fire to the books." That was great.

The actual person I was shadowing was odd, she was extremely unhappy as a person, and did not want to be at Oxford at all. So perhaps not the best person for them to have represent Oxford. She was nice enough to introduce me to an engineering and computer science friend though, who took me to his lectures, and talked to me about various things. It was actually talking to him which put the nail in the coffin for my idea of doing a computer science degree.

I have to warn you the icebreakers on the first night are not for the faint hearted, not for the timid, then again, I'm timid, and it was good that I was forced into a less than comfortable situation for once.

You will have a blast though.

Latest

Trending

Trending