Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

is studying the ACCA/ACA/AAT exams by yourself worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    im currently working fulltime in retail and struggling to find a graduate financial job with a 2.2 degree and it's tough.

i was thinking of passing some exams to better increase my chances of getting a finance job but reading this:

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread....light=graduate

makes me wonder if it actually worth going through this route?

has anyone taken the exams without having a financial job? how did it work out in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Everything you do will increase your chances of getting a better job but nothing will guarantee it.

What sort of job are you looking for and what's your degree?

Important to keep in mind that AAT and ACA/ ACCA are two different types of qualifications. ACA and ACCA offer chartered status and is used by all the largest accountants (along with CA); you are either qualififed or partially qualified. AAT is more common within smaller accountancy firms and has multiple levels that can be completed.

ReputationRep:
    I am studying AAT, and I have back-up (my dad's firm). I am getting all the practical exposure I need from my family firm. However, I think, jobs and studying are two different things. You can study for accounting while holding a job in sales. These days, volunteering is also counted as experience.

Increase the chances of getting employed in accounting by being a professional certified accountant. If you are new to accounting, then start off with AAT and progress on to either ACCA or CIMA. One advice I have always given to anyone starting off an alternative career is: never let go off of you current job till you are a certified professional. This will keep your income inflow stable you can also learn at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Im studying for the C FAB qualification as a non-numerical undergrad. I think it will show commitment to career as a competency as well as possibly leading to exemptions. I spoke to a partner who said that one of their trainee goes on many science companies they audit as she has a bioscience degree.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 25, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.