The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Double standard for ugly men and attractive men?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Stasiaxx
OP how many "ugly" men have you seen with good looking women, and how any "ugly" women have you seen with god looking men?

There are loads of couples where one is deemed to be slightly better looking than the other.

But, back to the main point, how is this relevant? I'm not talking about relationships, I'm talking about brief interactions between strangers. Generally, people that stare at each other don't go on to have sex and have a relationship.
Who cares? Creepiness is obviously relative to the individual thus it's not surprise that less ugly men don't get called creepy for doing the exact same thing as a ugly man. But, from my personal observations, ugly men tend to be really really **** at flirting so maybe that's the reason thus for this to be true we would have to give both of them the exact same lines and test it out. Also, dress code can also effect creepiness.
I think the reason for the difference is the reaction of women to the behaviour, not the behaviour itself.
Reply 23
Original post by Newbie123
There are loads of couples where one is deemed to be slightly better looking than the other.

But, back to the main point, how is this relevant? I'm not talking about relationships, I'm talking about brief interactions between strangers. Generally, people that stare at each other don't go on to have sex and have a relationship.

You seem very obsessed with looks the men in the thread about footballers weren't that hard on the eyes. There is a lot more to life than how people look. On the lothario/creep point Eddie Cibrian used to be my ultimate crush but because of him cheating throughout the whole of his last marriage he is no longer "the most perfect looking man" to me. Wayne Rooney has cheated on his wife many times. I don't think either of these men are "creeps" but I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with either of them.

A man that would be considered to be a creep/pervert amongst my group of friends is a man that will not leave someone alone once they have refused his advances. There are attractive men who do this.

When a guy approaches me or i strike up a conversation with someone "ugly" i don't think this guy must be a creep/pervert. There's actually a guy who i think is really cute(he has a gf) because i know him, but my friends don't see it. All my friends have had crushes like this. If this was every woman's first thought "ugly" men wouldn't be in relationships,because most women don't date perverts/creeps.

I think this is to be expected in your case, like attracts like. You seem to very harsh with looks, and i assume you go for the most attractive women first. I hope that I answered every question in your OP using personal experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
I'm sure it's worse for ugly men than for attractive men, but I had to be ugly I'd far rather be a guy. Yes, it's harder to get laid; but men aren't judged by their appearences to the same extent, aren't pressured into having negative "body image", and it's cliched but true that more ugly men have relationships with attractive women than vice versa. An ugly guy can to a large extent compensate with charm and confidence; much less so for women.
Reply 25
You seem very obsessed with looks the men in the thread about footballers weren't that hard on the eyes. There is a lot more to life than how people look. On the lothario/creep point Eddie Cibrian used to be my ultimate crush but because of him cheating throughout the whole of his last marriage he is no longer "the most perfect looking man" to me. Wayne Rooney has cheated on his wife many times. I don't think either of these men are "creeps" but I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with either of them.

A man that would be considered to be a creep/pervert amongst my group of friends is a man that will not leave someone alone once they have refused his advances. There are attractive men who do this.

When a guy approaches me or i strike up a conversation with someone "ugly" i don't think this guy must be a creep/pervert. There's actually a guy who i think is really cute(he has a gf) because i know him, but my friends don't see it. All my friends have had crushes like this. If this was every woman's first thought "ugly" men wouldn't be in relationships,because most women don't date perverts/creeps.

I think this is to be expected in your case, like attracts like. You seem to very harsh with looks, and i assume you go for the most attractive women first. I hope that I answered every question in your OP using personal experience.

I think you're missing the point, he's basically saying that an unattractive guy and handsome guy could come up to you and say the same things but you would most likely be flattered/find the handsome guy charming as he's good looking but wouldn't take the ugly guy seriously or take offence that he tried chatting you up. You somehow assumed this Eddie guy was amazing cos he's a good looking guy when he isn't amazing and sounds like a bit of a scum
Reply 26
Um duh, no one wants some gross povo in a white van leching over them.
Reply 27
Original post by ufo2012
Probably just to be expected...

If you were a chick would you want an ugly man in a trenchcoat having a 'perv' over you?

Or would you prefer to have a nice fantasy about a good looking guy?

Can guess most ladies response

What's wrong with trenchcoats?
Reply 28
Original post by hiding12
I think you're missing the point, he's basically saying that an unattractive guy and handsome guy could come up to you and say the same things but you would most likely be flattered/find the handsome guy charming as he's good looking but wouldn't take the ugly guy seriously or take offence that he tried chatting you up. You somehow assumed this Eddie guy was amazing cos he's a good looking guy when he isn't amazing and sounds like a bit of a scum

No, I responded to all the points in the OP. I think you are misunderstanding what i said.
1. I wouldn't be offended if an "ugly" man approached me. I and all of my friends have all had crushes on men that only they understand, they usually have girlfriends anyway.

2. I never assumed Eddie was an amazing guy.I said that I thought he was the most perfect looking man, since learning about his personal life I don't; this is not because he is any less attractive. I am demonstrating how a man's character can make him very unattractive in some women's eyes. ie. That personality is important for women.(I didn't know anything about his family life until it was in the news.Men have plenty of "pin ups" whom they know nothing about).

Summary: All my friends have had crushes on "ugly" men with good character/personalities and described them as hot. Personality is very important, for me it doesn't matter if you are the best looking guy if your a **** I will not go there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
No, I responded to all the points in the OP. I think you are misunderstanding what i said.
1. I wouldn't be offended if an "ugly" man approached me. I and all of my friends have all had crushes on men that only they understand, they usually have girlfriends anyway.

2. I never assumed Eddie was an amazing guy.I said that I thought he was the most perfect looking man, since learning about his personal life I don't; this is not because he is any less attractive. I am demonstrating how a man's character can make him very unattractive in some women's eyes. ie. That personality is important for women.(I didn't know anything about his family life until it was in the news.Men have plenty of "pin ups" whom they know nothing about).

Summary: All my friends have had crushes on "ugly" men with good character/personalities and described them as hot. Personality is very important, for me it doesn't matter if you are the best looking guy if your a **** I will not go there.

obv personality is important, I think the OP is referring to initial meetings, i.e you don't know the person
Reply 30
If an ugly man is flirtatious, or explicitly expresses any interest in any female, he is almost immediately labelled as a "pervert"/"creep".

If an attractive man is flirtatious, or even adulterous, he is considered to be a "ladies' man"/"player"/"lothario" - all of which have significantly more positive connotations than "perv".

Both types of people are effectively the same, and yet people, mostly unknowingly, treat them significantly differently - even people who claim that they don't "judge a book by its cover" are more likely to call an ugly man a "pervert" before they do the same to an attractive man.

Is this sad? Or to be expected - as it's natural to judge ugly people more harshly?

Its the same with women. If a hot girl sleeps around, people think she is a femme fatale/liberated modern female. If an ugly girl sleeps around people think she is a filfy slaag.
Everyone is inherently shallow, no surprise really. It's life, doesn't mean it's right but tell how we're gonna counter the issue since men do it too.
Reply 32
Original post by py0alb
Its the same with women. If a hot girl sleeps around, people think she is a femme fatale/liberated modern female. If an ugly girl sleeps around people think she is a filfy slaag.

No, even fit girls get labelled "sket" OWTTE very quickly.
If an ugly man is flirtatious, or explicitly expresses any interest in any female, he is almost immediately labelled as a "pervert"/"creep".

If an attractive man is flirtatious, or even adulterous, he is considered to be a "ladies' man"/"player"/"lothario" - all of which have significantly more positive connotations than "perv".

Both types of people are effectively the same, and yet people, mostly unknowingly, treat them significantly differently - even people who claim that they don't "judge a book by its cover" are more likely to call an ugly man a "pervert" before they do the same to an attractive man.

Is this sad? Or to be expected - as it's natural to judge ugly people more harshly?

Even if it's not fair or ideal, it clearly is natural as it seems almost universal. It's not surprising either, given the way millions of years of evolution have programmed us to be so sexually driven, and physical appearance usually seems to be the most significant factor in ****ing. People are gonna be nicer to people they want to ****, that's just how it is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Human Nature.

I suppose the media/culture is to blame to an extent.
Reply 35

One of the tragedies of life
Reply 36

I don't really think that is the case, lots of men who are very successful with women are ugly or no better than average looking really. I think it all comes down to how they guy acts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
obviously there will be double standards. since 1 is ugly and the other is good looking to the girl.

Latest

Trending

Trending