The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Undry1
Saw a similar thread about law. Why do people want to do medicine?

Good money and high standing career? Nearly all the people i know who have gone to med school, 5 from my school are the 5 *most lacking in people skills* people ever, they were just science nerds hence 3 sciences and maths! God help the people they have to treat. Morons.
Reply 2
My sister is in the first year at Peninsula, and she is doing medicine because she wants to become a doctor. Thats the "well duh!" answer anyway :wink:

But she has always been really good at and enjoyed sciences. It's quite a rewarding job I guess - both in money and other ways. Oh yeah and she gets a shiny stethoscope!
Reply 3
There's nothing wrong with 3 sciences and maths. Medicine is perfect for some as it combines the intellectual challenge of science with emotional rewards. I'm surprised people lacking people skills managed to get in though.
Reply 4
r316
There's nothing wrong with 3 sciences and maths. Medicine is perfect for some as it combines the intellectual challenge of science with emotional rewards. I'm surprised people lacking people skills managed to get in though.

Yeah these people were already arrogant, and likely to get even mor ethat way through med school.
Reply 5
I applied to medical school this year but missed out as my grades weren't quite good enough. I want to do medicine because of experiences in my life of the medical environment, Through family illness and personal i saw that it was something i really wanted to do.
Reply 6
Because I like science and I like people. I think I'm good at dealing with people.
Reply 7
you could perhaps mention u have a deep interest in learning about diseases/its symptoms-- and being able to make a diagnosis/prescribe etc.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by r316
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah these people were already arrogant, and likely to get even mor ethat way through med school

what do u know??
Reply 8
but what would you tell a admissions tutor at an interview if he/she asked you "why this course (medicine)?"
Reply 9
r316

The interviews are suppose to distinguish who has the relevant people skills and who doesn't, though judging by a few of the medical students I've met, quite a few people manage to get through who seem distinctly lacking in this department.
Reply 10
Undry1
but what would you tell a admissions tutor at an interview if he/she asked you "why this course (medicine)?"

Your reply should be personal rather than regurgitating other people's ideas because everyone has their own different reasons. Perhaps you realised your aspiration to become a doctor when you did voluntary work or maybe when you saw a particular case during your work experience. You've really just got to think to yourself why you want to do medicine not why other people want to do it. Nevertheless the generic answers are normally:

1) the love of both science and people
2) through experiencing the medical profession usually through the illness of family/friends
3) the process of elimination - something along the lines of how you've always liked science but didn't want to go into research because of XYZ...
the reason i didnt want to do medicine was: because you only start getting good money from at least 10 years into the career =/ and that you have to work 50 to 60 hour weeks.... ( including emergency call outs )
Reply 12
Lucy
Your reply should be personal rather than regurgitating other people's ideas because everyone has their own different reasons. Perhaps you realised your aspiration to become a doctor when you did voluntary work or maybe when you saw a particular case during your work experience. You've really just got to think to yourself why you want to do medicine not why other people want to do it. Nevertheless the generic answers are normally:

1) the love of both science and people
2) through experiencing the medical profession usually through the illness of family/friends
3) the process of elimination - something along the lines of how you've always liked science but didn't want to go into research because of XYZ...

don't you suppose that research is an integral part of medicine? and i think you have read the 'getting into medicine' book rather well...its not a sarcastic comment just an observation!
Ladyluck
Good money and high standing career? Nearly all the people i know who have gone to med school, 5 from my school are the 5 *most lacking in people skills* people ever, they were just science nerds hence 3 sciences and maths! God help the people they have to treat. Morons.

haha i nkow what you mean.. imagine them telling you youve got cancer.. medicine often seems to attract overly clever people who are academic and thats it and see getting into medicine as the hardest thing you can do and therefore choose it on that basis alone
Reply 14
presebjenada
haha i nkow what you mean.. imagine them telling you youve got cancer.. medicine often seems to attract overly clever people who are academic and thats it and see getting into medicine as the hardest thing you can do and therefore choose it on that basis alone

But that's not all of us! There are a few I know with very poor people skills, but most of us genuinely want to be good doctors.

Fortunately I didn't get asked "Why medicine?" at either of my interviews, cos I couldn't think of a particularly interesting answer.
Reply 15
nodabooper
don't you suppose that research is an integral part of medicine?

Of course it is but on comparison becoming a doctor is hugely different to going into a profession of pure research.
Reply 16
Lucy
Of course it is but on comparison becoming a doctor is hugely different to going into a profession of pure research.

Do you think that practicing physicians do not have the temperament of pure research? I seem to know a couple of doctors who incorporate both of them in their professional life and are successful in both! I believe a doctor is someone who is keen on the human body and mind, and therefore has the knowledge and the ability to deal with it. Research is therefore an indispensable part of it and a doctor has to do some in order to understand their speciality in it entirety.
Reply 17
nodabooper
Do you think that practicing physicians do not have the temperament of pure research? I seem to know a couple of doctors who incorporate both of them in their professional life and are successful in both! I believe a doctor is someone who is keen on the human body and mind, and therefore has the knowledge and the ability to deal with it. Research is therefore an indispensable part of it and a doctor has to do some in order to understand their speciality in it entirety.

Yes, I am not disagreeing to you, I personally believe that a doctor's priority is that of the patient. You can not be a successful doctor by just having wanting to do pure research, there must be leeway in both directions.
i agree with nodabooper i think. doctors can still use their medical knowledge on research or without directly communicating with patients which is still very important. i mean pathologists don't get much patient contact right? ..

Latest