The Student Room Group

Living in Peckham, yay or nay?

So me and a few friends have been looking for a house for next year and have found a couple in SE15, in the Peckham area. From the pictures online they seem like pretty nice houses and have all been recently refurbished, my only worry is the area they're situated in though, as I have heard nothing but bad things about Peckham with it's allegedly high crime rates etc. We went to visit the general area and I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a lot worse, but I'd just like to hear opinions from people who have lived there/know people who live there. We only had a brief look around so perhaps we missed some of the rougher areas? Or maybe it's worse at night? Or am I just worrying for no reason?
Reply 1
Whatever goes in Peckham comes out in a box.
Reply 2
Why not, it's nowhere near as bad as some people stereotype it to be.
Reply 3
Which area in Peckham is it? eg road/street etc.
It's not as bad as people make out
Reply 4
Original post by noisy06
Whatever goes in Peckham comes out in a box.

Then don't come out, simples.
Reply 5
Original post by mackshie
Which area in Peckham is it? eg road/street etc.
It's not as bad as people make out

Elcot Avenue, Fenham Road and Lanvanor Road. According to Google maps they're all reasonably close together, if you know anything about any of them areas?
Reply 6
Original post by Newbie123
Why not, it's nowhere near as bad as some people stereotype it to be.

OK thanks for your reply. Do you know whereabouts most of the areas to avoid are by any chance?
yeah it really isnt as bad as its made out to be. but i guess you would have to live there to understand...i think its come along way and now you get plenty of different people from many backgrounds living there.
Reply 8
yay or nay?

I think you forgot gay
Reply 9
My friends make jokes about how bad/ghetto/rough it is.. lol don't want to find out for myself tbh
Reply 10
Whatever anybody says, living in London is relatively simple, keep your head down and mind your own business and basic common sense (don't travel by yourself late at night) and you'll be fine where ever you live. So I'd say Yay.
Original post by Setrith
OK thanks for your reply. Do you know whereabouts most of the areas to avoid are by any chance?

There aren't any like areas that you cannot walk through or anything like that, and tbh, if you just go about your own business, people will leave you alone - just like in any other place in London.

If you're really interested in analysing which parts are safer/more dangerous, here:

http://maps.met.police.uk/access.php?area=00BEGQ&sort=rate
Reply 12
despite what you see on the news and in films likekidulthood it isnt that bad my friends brother has lived there for a few years now and nothing bads happened to him, a couple of gun shot wounds but nothing major ya know ..
but in all seriousness its fine, just stay away from the estates :tongue:
Reply 13
Nay nay nay nay nay nay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 14
Original post by Setrith
Elcot Avenue, Fenham Road and Lanvanor Road. According to Google maps they're all reasonably close together, if you know anything about any of them areas?

Errm, well I'm from Peckham, and my friend and cousin used to live around first two areas. It's fine in the day but I personally wouldn't want to be out by myself too late at night around there. I'd probably feel different if I lived around there however, since it may change my perception. I'm aware that some people may not feel safe in my area of Peckham, but to me it's alright. But it feels a little more comfortable now that they have knocked down the huge estate that was near there.(Elcot Avenue and Fenham Road)

Lanvanor Road however, I would feel a lot more comfortable around there, day or night. It's in Nunhead as well, which I think is a nice little area.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by jLou711
My friends make jokes about how bad/ghetto/rough it is.. lol don't want to find out for myself tbh

Exactly this.

Quick Reply

Latest