The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naman
Hi guys, i recently passed my test and i was taught to use the handbrake whenever i stopped at a red light or something. i am now going to get my own car and i feel that it is too much effort every time to use the hb. can i not use the footbrake without rolling back? i mean by holding the clutch up to the biting point and then pressing/ releasing the footbrake as required? thanks

Personally I never use my handbrake at traffic light with the exception of being on a particularly steep hill. You can indeed use your footbrake without rolling back. I find that If I have one foot on the brake and the other on the clutch just under the bit, then I can move away a lot faster than if I were to put the handbrake on. I thinks it's a personal choice.
Reply 21
I always use the handbrake. It might require a little effort but it'll make the situation a lot better for you if someone goes into the back of you at the traffic lights.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by naman
Hi guys, i recently passed my test and i was taught to use the handbrake whenever i stopped at a red light or something. i am now going to get my own car and i feel that it is too much effort every time to use the hb. can i not use the footbrake without rolling back? i mean by holding the clutch up to the biting point and then pressing/ releasing the footbrake as required? thanks

I only use brake if I would roll forward. If I would roll backwards I use the clutch to keep the car still. You don't roll backward at all then when you decide to go
My instructor told me to use the handbrake if I'm stopped for more than 3 seconds. If i'm waiting for traffic lights and I'm on a level bit of road I just use the footbrake. However if I'm waiting for an uber long time in traffic/on a steep incline I will use the handbrake and take the car out of gear.
Original post by sarahthegemini
It's hardly 'too much effort' to use the hand break tbh. If you have good clutch control though, then don't bother.

EDIT: Some of these responses are just :lolwut: Who on Earth would get annoyed by the "glare of the break lights" Just WTF.

At night, if you are driving through an area which isn't lit with street lights (or only small villages are lit by street lamps), the stronger light of brake lights for a long time can mean it takes longer for your eyes to adjust when you leave the lit area.

Not to mention that some brake lights are fairly bright, which can be annoying / dazzling in a dark area.

Original post by Kim-x
I always use the handbrake. It might require a little effort but it'll make the situation a lot better for you if someone goes into the back of you at the traffic lights.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This. I was told, if you are hit from behind, then if you are on the foot brake, the jerk is more likely to displace your foot, meaning the brakes come off, meaning you go into the person in front. If you have the handbrake on, then it will stay on ofcourse.
Reply 25
It depends on the length of time you're likely to be there, the incline of the road, etc.

I was always told that, in the test, they like you to use the handbrake, which is why instructors teach their pupils to do that.
Reply 26
In the BMW I just keep my foot on the brake pedal.

In the Fiat, if I'm stopped for any length of time then I use the parking brake as keeping my foot on the brake pedal shuts off the engine as well as the air conditioner.
Reply 27
Original post by justravi
Holding your brake with the brake lights on shouldn't annoy the person behind, almost everyone in an automatic will have brake lights on during a stop.

WHY?

All of those who do the advanced do not do that or they would fail so why should it be different for all other auto drivers?

Leave in D or whatever gear is chosen and apply hadbrake - its easy

If the handbrake does not stop it going forward then take it for repair because it should
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
When people say to use the handbrake as using brakes will wear out the clutch, if I'm at a traffic light, put the clutch down, straight into gear 1, put the handbrake up, I'll still need to hold the clutch on the biting point, therefore doesn't the clutch still get worn out?
Reply 29
Personal preference really. It is safer to use the handbrake but it depends on the driver.
Reply 30
Original post by iPhone
When people say to use the handbrake as using brakes will wear out the clutch, if I'm at a traffic light, put the clutch down, straight into gear 1, put the handbrake up, I'll still need to hold the clutch on the biting point, therefore doesn't the clutch still get worn out?

leave clutch pedal down until you actually need the biting point or better still, leave it out of gear and then select gear as lights start to change

This is what I do every time.... even at the front of the red light queue ...
Wait till red goes to red & amber then, at the same time, put into first and check left mirror, then at the same time, release handbrake and check right mirror - now setting off half a second after the light changed to green

Oh, and whilst I was waiting I have both hands and feet off all the controls so I am relaxed - not advised for the DSA cos they do not like that !! - but Advanced driving does
Reply 31
Original post by iPhone

Why? There is no need to be at the biting point while waiting at traffic lights, regardless of what braking you're using.
I usually put the handbrake on whenever I stop at lights, just out of habit. It saved me yesterday when some idiot hit the backof my car and drove off, if I didnt have my handbrake on I would have hit the car in front and had to take the blame because the guy that caused it never stopped
Reply 33
I use handbreak, lets my feet relax for a bit
Either foot on brake or hand brake. Moreso because if someone rear ends you you'll nudge forwards.

Footbrake is advised as statistically autos are in less rear shunts due to the need to have the brake lights lit when stopped.. Only makes sense to apply the same logic to a manual. Obviously its also good to ha a rest off the pedals altogether at times so use the hb instead, its all about timing and perception..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by MissLightyear
I usually put the handbrake on whenever I stop at lights, just out of habit. It saved me yesterday when some idiot hit the backof my car and drove off, if I didnt have my handbrake on I would have hit the car in front and had to take the blame because the guy that caused it never stopped

As the vehicle behind you was not stopped did you also have your brake lights on as an extra warning?
Original post by ROG.

As the vehicle behind you was not stopped did you also have your brake lights on as an extra warning?

It was at a roundabout, I'd been waiting a good 30 seconds (town centre at peak time) so there was no need to leave them on.
Reply 37
Original post by MissLightyear
It was at a roundabout, I'd been waiting a good 30 seconds (town centre at peak time) so there was no need to leave them on.

Lesson for the future ...... if the last in the queue then leave them on as well as the handbrake - unless you are keeping your foot covering the brake pedal and a contant watch in your rear view so you can activate them when another comes into view

Its one of the issues covered in the AD training but may not be covered in the DSA training .... not sure
Original post by ROG.
Lesson for the future ...... if the last in the queue then leave them on as well as the handbrake - unless you are keeping your foot covering the brake pedal and a contant watch in your rear view so you can activate them when another comes into view

Its one of the issues covered in the AD training but may not be covered in the DSA training .... not sure

Common sense would say the car coming from behind should be aware that there may be a car there, youre taught to prepare for that sort of thing. I'll definitely do it in the future though, dont want to lose my car because of an idiot.
Reply 39
One piece of advice I heard was assume everyone else out there is an idiot. That way you're prepared for the ones that really are.

Having the clutch at biting point is going to wear it out so that's not recommended for long periods. In simple terms the clutch is made up of two disks, One connected to the engine and one to the wheels. When the clutch is pushed in these disks are separate (so the engine keeps running but the wheels are stopped). When driving normally they're fully connected to the engine is connected directly to the wheels. When you're at biting point the two disks are just starting to come together but will be running at different speeds, This will generate heat in the clutch and overtime will wear it out. (This is a very simplified view - Ignoring the gear box and other things). Holding on the clutch is liable to make you more susceptible to accidents - What if your foot slips slightly or someone else knocks you.

In terms of using the foot brake or hand brake most people around here seem to use the foot brake most of the time. I tend to do the same at most traffic lights unless I know I'll be there a while. I will use the hand brake on steep hills (means I can ensure I've got the biting point before releasing the break rather than risking stalling or rolling backwards). I'll also use the handbrake if I'm stopped for longer or I want to give my braking foot a rest (a lot of journeys around here can average at least 3 sets of lights per mile)