The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Also on the overseas tuition of UK schools, the difference from domestic fees is the greatest!! I meant compared to the schools in US, Canada, etc........do residents pay that much tax?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Nope, the UK unis are just under-funded :smile:. Probably UK residents pay more tax than US, we have more state funded stuff, e.g. NHS. I don't know how much you know about the whole fees debate at the moment, but they're basically putting fees up to £3,000 a year (variable) for English/Welsh/N. Irish (?) students. The Scottish universities have no fees for Scottish students!
Jojoba86
Nope, the UK unis are just under-funded :smile:. Probably UK residents pay more tax than US, we have more state funded stuff, e.g. NHS. I don't know how much you know about the whole fees debate at the moment, but they're basically putting fees up to £3,000 a year (variable) for English/Welsh/N. Irish (?) students. The Scottish universities have no fees for Scottish students!

Overseas ppl pay an additional £10,000 on top of that £3,000 per year!!! Btw, correct me if i am wrong, both cambridge and oxford are public schools?

Btw, where is that "£" sign on my keyboard?? Haha
Reply 23
koolboarder
Overseas ppl pay an additional £10,000 on top of that £3,000 per year!!! Btw, correct me if i am wrong, both cambridge and oxford are public schools?

public=state funded to you? or public=old school private? People here used public=old school private, whereas in the US and other places they use public=state funded.
Anyway oxbridge are not private, they're in the hands of the government, as with all British Univs, apart from Univ of Buckingham.
BossLady
public=state funded to you? or public=old school private? People here used public=old school private, whereas in the US and other places they use public=state funded.
Anyway oxbridge are not private, they're in the hands of the government, as with all British Univs, apart from Univ of Buckingham.

Icic..then i was thinking of the term state funded........

Now back to the initial ques, has anyone received their Accom forms?
Buckingham...one word: Why?!??!
Reply 26
koolboarder
REally depends on what kinda roommate you get, I had fun with my last roomie, but I knew him as a friend beforehand though.........
yes, my friend who's there now studying bio has a roommate from hong kong, and he would stay up in the night talking/laughing loudly in hongkongese, which was rather annoying for him. i advised him to tell him to shutup, he did, he did, and now they get on better.
Reply 27
edders
yes, my friend who's there now studying bio has a roommate from hong kong, and he would stay up in the night talking/laughing loudly in hongkongese,

*cantonese* :tongue: thats very inconsiderate of him btw! :eek: i think id rather have my own room...my sis is at ic at the mo and had her own room in the 1st year, but its bloody small!
I don't think I could stand sharing a room. I tend to wander round in my undrwear and stay up all night posting multiple times on student forums, so I think I would just piss my roomate off.
Reply 29
hildabeast
... stay up all night posting multiple times on student forums, so I think I would just piss my roomate off.

usually i wont turn off the light until 2 am (during holidays, it is on over night), and my CD player is turned on as long as i am in the hall~~
Reply 30
koolboarder

see, we are actually funding the UK universities :rolleyes:
When it comes to living together, everyone has a really weird habit or two. My ex-doormate's a trumpet music major who's a dead sleeper. His alarm used to went on for hours (No, knocking on his door, he cannot hear :eek: ). EVerone woke up for his morning alarm except himself. I almost asked him not to lock his door, so i can slap him in the face each morning to wake him up.

But turn out that his alarm battery went out and he didn't know.
Reply 32
koolboarder
EVerone woke up for his morning alarm except himself.
There's a person in my corridor at uni like that :mad: I have NO idea how he can sleep through it! normally I'm up, dressed and leaving the building while the alarm is still beeping!
Reply 33
Right....just rang up the accomodation office people! It seems the accom forms will now be sent in May.
Whoever recieves it first....do tell us!
Does anyone know how they allocate the rooms? Because I really want Beit hall, it's the only one wth 34 weeks rent...
Reply 35
Mysticmin
Does anyone know how they allocate the rooms? Because I really want Beit hall, it's the only one wth 34 weeks rent...

I really want Beit Hall too...!!!
Reply 36
Mysticmin
Yeah, Beit looks great! I think it's done slightly randomly, based on some limited preferences you can specify on the form. What's so good about 34 week rent though? The rest seem to be 38 week, and are much cheaper per week, and work out little different overall. Ok, so if you're not around in the holidays you get more for your money but there's certainley no money advanatage.
Jojoba86
Yeah, Beit looks great! I think it's done slightly randomly, based on some limited preferences you can specify on the form. What's so good about 34 week rent though? The rest seem to be 38 week, and are much cheaper per week, and work out little different overall. Ok, so if you're not around in the holidays you get more for your money but there's certainley no money advanatage.

Slight difference but it could come in handy when it comes to the point of buying my next drink or buying food :smile:
Reply 38
Jojoba86
I think all the rooms have broadband, although I've heard varying stories about how good it is. I'll probably go with a new laptop, as my desktop is old and I doubt I can convince my parents to upgrade it, where as I probably could get a new laptop!

I'm definately not keen on the idea of sharing, it might be good some of the time but I think I'd like my own space.

Remember for the price of a new laptop, you can buy a decent desktop and a TFT (flat) monitor, and get more power. And a bigger keyboard, screen etc.

koolboarder
Btw, where is that "£" sign on my keyboard??

US layout? Then you need to press Alt (or AltGr, I can't remember) and type '0', '1', '6', '3' on the number pad. Or maybe just 1,6,3.

If you set your layout to UK, then it's Shift-3 (where you have a # IIRC) but then shift-2 becomes " and shift-' becomes @, and \ | # ~ ¬ move places.
Reply 39
Remember for the price of a new laptop, you can buy a decent desktop and a TFT (flat) monitor, and get more power. And a bigger keyboard, screen etc.
True, but I want a decent laptop anyway, for portability purposes it should be usefull for me. Plus asking for a laptop will probably get me a better laptop than asking for various computer upgrades :biggrin:. I can always upgrade my ageing desktop at a later date.

Latest

Trending

Trending