Has anyone received their Imperial Accom form?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jojoba86)
True, but I want a decent laptop anyway, for portability purposes it should be usefull for me. Plus asking for a laptop will probably get me a better laptop than asking for various computer upgrades . I can always upgrade my ageing desktop at a later date.
Yeah I came over to the US with no computer, and bought a laptop here, so I can use it back home and at Imperial. I figure a laptop's better than a desktop because 1) it's portable and easy to set up (few wires!) 2) it's convenient to watch DVDs on 3) it looks cool
Plus the one I bought (Compaq Presario 3045us) has a screen bigger than my old monitor :cool: (16" vs. 15"), and is powerful enough to play Simcity 4
koolboarder
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chaoscomplex)
Remember for the price of a new laptop, you can buy a decent desktop and a TFT (flat) monitor, and get more power. And a bigger keyboard, screen etc.

US layout? Then you need to press Alt (or AltGr, I can't remember) and type '0', '1', '6', '3' on the number pad. Or maybe just 1,6,3.

If you set your layout to UK, then it's Shift-3 (where you have a # IIRC) but then shift-2 becomes " and shift-' becomes @, and \ | # ~ ¬ move places.

Thanks alot dude!! Now i can have all the ££££££££££££££££ ££££££££££££££££ £££ I wished for!!
Poseidon
Report 16 years ago
Still haven't.
Anyway I am likely to live in my aunt's for the first year ( 'cause I don not really know about London, even if i have been there several times )
Chris L
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Got a letter from IC this morning confirming my acceptance with a copy of the college regulations and saying that -

"The Accomodation Office will send you information about Halls of Residence in May, but if you do not recieve details then or have any queires, please contact the Student Accomodation Office directly by telephone 020 7594 9444, fax 020 7594 9440 or email [email protected], quoting College Identifier Number..."

They also include the details of college fees for 2004-2005 as well as a financial statement I have to send back.
Poseidon
Report 16 years ago
But if you are planning to live somewhere else, does it matter or is absolutely necessary that you should live in the Halls?
Jojoba86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you're living somewhere else you won't have to worry about any accommodation forms, you probably have to tell them your living arrangements (or term-time address at least) though. But why don't you want to live in halls? On the open day the student there said that halls are a great thing, for making friends easing you into Imperial life. This would probably be echoed with most people you talk to, so maybe it's worth you reconsidering?

I also got the same letter Chris L mentioned.
Poseidon
Report 16 years ago
'Cause I am French therefore I do not really know about England even if I have been there several times before.
Then I am planning to live in my auntie's house at least for the first year.
Chris L
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have been recommended by everyone to stay in halls the first year, including my two older sisters than stayed in halls for the first year and my cousin that didn't to stay in halls in the first year. It means that fitting in and meeting new people is ALOT easier, also you don't have to make as much effort getting a social life as there are always people in your halls that you can hang out with whether you've got nothing better to do. Althought it can depend on whether you can afford it. I can see why you’re reluctant to stay in halls for your first year but I would probably do it the other way around, stay in halls first year and then move out and stay at your aunties, thought I would be a bit of a killer sometimes and depending where she lives might be might much more difficult to have a social life and get to IC easily (and cheaply).

Chris L
Poseidon
Report 16 years ago
My aunt lives in Tottenham, so i think it isn't really far from Imperial, is it?
Furthermore it seems to be expensive to live in the Halls, especially when you comme from a foreign country.
but as an information, could you please write the cost of living in the Halls, if you know about them.

Thanks

One more thing, what do Imperial mean when they ask me to get "BIEN OVERALL" in my french baccalaureate?
Jojoba86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Poseidon)
My aunt lives in Tottenham, so i think it isn't really far from Imperial, is it?
Furthermore it seems to be expensive to live in the Halls, especially when you comme from a foreign country.
but as an information, could you please write the cost of living in the Halls, if you know about them.

Thanks

One more thing, what do Imperial mean when they ask me to get "BIEN OVERALL" in my french baccalaureate?
My knowledge of London isn't great but I believe it would be about half an hour tube journey (two changes). Probably best ask your aunt (or ask her where the nearest tube/train station is). Why not try halls and if you don't like them move to your aunts? As far as I know you're allowed to do this. For prices check here http://www.imperial.ac.uk/hq/residences/halls.html. I don't know how you're planning to finance things, but it would be quite expensive.

I don't know what Imperial mean by that ('good overall' is as far as I can understand ), you could e-mail the admissions tutor for your subject to check.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Thanks

(Original post by http://www.ic.ac.uk/p1791.htm)
Costs
Our room charges are payable each term in advance. The rents for 2004-05 have not yet been set. To give you some indication, those for the 2002-03 session vary from approximately £41 a week (for a triple room) to £95 (for a single room). This includes charges for social amenities [At present, residences at the Wye campus do not include charges for social amenities or laundry in the rent], use of the washing machines1, an insurance premium, and meals where applicable. Students with disabilities in special accommodation are charged the single room rent for the hall. Please note that rents will increase for the 2004 session.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Depends entirely on which hall you get into. Prices range from about £50 (for triple room - not recommended, too much scope for personality clashes IMO, especially when you don't know the people you'll be with at all) up to about £120 for a single, ensuite room in Beit Hall.

I guess that 'good' corresponds to a certain grade or above and that you have to get this as your average for the whole qualification. Try asking your teachers and if you can't find an adequate answer, I would contact Imperial admissions and ask for clarification.

Regards,
koolboarder
Report 16 years ago
Just an update, I was told by the accommodation office today that they will "hopefully" start sending out application forms by mid-May..........
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by koolboarder)
Just an update, I was told by the accommodation office today that they will "hopefully" start sending out application forms by mid-May..........
Let's face it, we're not gonna get them till july are we...
koolboarder
Report 16 years ago
I just spoke to a senior who applied for college accommodation last year and now still living in one. He said last year the college sent forms to him and his friends a few weeks before school started in October!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by koolboarder)
Oh great....when i rang them last Tuesday they just said "May"......I bet if someone rings them in a couple of weeks, it'll be "June"! Ahhhhh I want a form lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (141)
24.27%
Better than expected (127)
21.86%
Worse than expected (313)
53.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed