The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Digital Media Production 2012-2013

hi any one applying for MSc Digital Media Production in Oxford Brookes this September?
Reply 1
I have applied to Digital Media Production and got a conditional offer! I'm just waiting for my grades, so maybe in two weeks I'll have a final answer :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Congratulations Marb, I hope you will get an un-conditional offer letter soon. I got an un-conditional offer letter with in 3 days after i deposited £1000 fee. I also got the CAS letter. For now i am in a process of getting student visa. If you have any question then let me know. Also please do join Digital Media Production 2012-2013 Group on facebook
Reply 3
hi
ive recently graduated from oxford brookes uni with a distinction MSc Digital Media Production.

just so you know..the enrollment day will take 1 week! i did complain about this when i was elected for student rep...hopefully its changed for you guys now.

initially the work load is a piece of cake but trust me its quite stressful as you will be working on projects which overlap.

also BROOKES TV is biased over everything else which sux. I didnt like BTV module..it was stressful and just cack and it consumed most of the course.

If anything 3D classes were the best with john twycross.
as the then rep, i did complain and mention that there needs to be more 3D classes and less brookes tv classes.

again, i hope that this changed since i left...after my complaining.

oh yes one more thing..the biggest waste of time are the lectures held every monday * it might have changed*...lectures which basically were about engineering!!! nothing to do with DMP!

again, i did complain...and i hope they took this into consideration..esp after paying all that money to do the course!

at teh very end of the course, you have to submit a 12k-15k thesis, and then you do a presentation to your peers and tutors.

My presentation lasted 10 mins and was about the 3D project i created. i did a show reel..and talked about it and showed it at the very end.

my thesis was about the show reel also.

its not really that scary....throughout the entire year you are encouraged to work in groups, and mixing with everyone in your class.

you will at some point be running around Oxford with a camera and mic to get vox pops from the general public...for one of the TV modules.

trust me, its quite hard to do!!

oh yeah- if you drive, you can buy a parking permit and keep your car in the main carpark at wheatly. its about £80 for the year and you get a swipe card.

also the labs are open 24/7 and you can stay as long as you want! i did a few 3am stints....and to do that you have to buy a £5 access key card.

good luck
Reply 4
Hi wrigleatode
Thank you so much for such a great information, and as a new students of Digital Media Production i hope that OBU will make more improvement in this program and take initiative on the suggestion you made. As an international student i have much hope on this program so that i learn a lot and then implement it in my chosen field.
1. I want to know if there is any course books for the modules or we have to follow random book?
2. After your great discussion i am sure that i will learn more practical then theoretical, but need to know whether we will buy our own cameras or university will provide us all the equipment?
3. Also if you guide us what will be the modules of Digital Media production? Are they same as mentioned on the program website or there will be some additional or elective modules?
I really appreciate all your cooperation and help.
Thank you
Reply 5
Hi Wrigleatode your brief summary is a great summary of the course thank you for sharing, very useful! I asked everybody about how to get the 24x7 access to the computer pool and nobody could describe it to me, and your post here described it very simply and objectively! Thanks! Good luck with your job hunting after the course, i assume it will be easy to find something either in gaming or mobile, or web design. Kind regards, Tina

Original post by wrigleatode
hi
ive recently graduated from oxford brookes uni with a distinction MSc Digital Media Production.

just so you know..the enrollment day will take 1 week! i did complain about this when i was elected for student rep...hopefully its changed for you guys now.

initially the work load is a piece of cake but trust me its quite stressful as you will be working on projects which overlap.

also BROOKES TV is biased over everything else which sux. I didnt like BTV module..it was stressful and just cack and it consumed most of the course.

as the then rep, i did complain and mention that there needs to be more 3D classes and less brookes tv classes.

oh yes one more thing..the biggest waste of time are the lectures held every monday * it might have changed*...lectures which basically were about engineering!!! nothing to do with DMP!

again, i did complain...and i hope they took this into consideration..esp after paying all that money to do the course!

at teh very end of the course, you have to submit a 12k-15k thesis, and then you do a presentation to your peers and tutors.

My presentation lasted 10 mins and was about the 3D project i created. i did a show reel..and talked about it and showed it at the very end.

its not really that scary....throughout the entire year you are encouraged to work in groups, and mixing with everyone in your class.

you will at some point be running around Oxford with a camera and mic to get vox pops from the general public...for one of the TV modules.

oh yeah- if you drive, you can buy a parking permit and keep your car in the main carpark at wheatly. its about £80 for the year and you get a swipe card.

also the labs are open 24/7 and you can stay as long as you want! i did a few 3am stints....and to do that you have to buy a £5 access key card.

good luck
Reply 6
by the way, i am doing the MSc DMP fresher in 2012... cheers!
Hi that was a really useful recap for the course in 2012/3.
I am thinking of applying to do the digital media production msc at Brookes this September 2018 and wonder whether the problems with it (eg too much tv module) have changed

Are there any recent graduates out there who can review the course?

Many thanks in advance
Em

QUOTE=wrigleatode;39331398]hi

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending