Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im 14 and lookin 4 a part time job,should i wait till im 16 to be looking for a job :confused: or keep my options open and try and find oe now?I dont want to be washing cars or walking dogs, so is there anything else i can do without breaking the law,and how do i apply!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    a lot of places wont take you on until you have an NI number, get a paper round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley16)
    Hi, im 14 and lookin 4 a part time job,should i wait till im 16 to be looking for a job :confused: or keep my options open and try and find oe now?I dont want to be washing cars or walking dogs, so is there anything else i can do without breaking the law,and how do i apply!? :confused:
    best bet is at 16, when u do work expierience, show em how good u are then ask them, they might take you up thats wht they did for me. easy way of gettin a job. People older than me are like man howd u get a job. I frankly hate going to work, but there money involved.

ReputationRep:
    Sainsbury's take you at 15 as long as you're in year 11

ReputationRep:
    i do some paper rounds on a sunday mornin and get £15. not much but its sumit. get to the shop for 6 and get home at [email protected] and go bk to bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Sainsbury's take you at 15 as long as you're in year 11
    Do they?

I thought it was 16..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Go into local restaurants and shops (avoid chain stores) and ask whether they have any need for a part time worker. You may or may not be lucky. A lot of places have a policy for not taking on under 16s but smaller establishments might take you on.

Failing that you could get a paper round or try and do some babysitting work.

ReputationRep:
    Be a football referee for under 9/10/11 like me, 20 quid for 2 hours work aint bad
    You need your badge first though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yOUR_dESTINY)
    Be a football referee for under 9/10/11 like me, 20 quid for 2 hours work aint bad
    You need your badge first though.
    or if you and football dont get along, just do the damn car washing. if you live in a generally nice area you can make anything up to £40 for a days work if you're fast and polite. worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    hotels / tourist shops / cafes usually take under 16s (cash in hand - no records). I don't condone this, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have any relatives who have family businesses or small shops? Maybe you could work there for a bit. I have been working in my parent's and uncle's shops for like 7 years now. I only get paid £30 a week but it's enough for me and not stressful like a proper real job.

ReputationRep:

14! why do you want a job?

ReputationRep:
    Um...you can only do none contract stuff. As someone said, its cash and that. You cannot work on till's or anything before you are 16. And you need NI to get a contract job.

ReputationRep:
    I did the paper round option, just to get some extra cash. Unless it is for family, no job that you get before you are 16 is going to be fun! It's sweeping up in hairdressers, walking dogs, cleaning. Don't know about other people but I wouldn't have wanted to work any more than a few hours a week during GCSE's anyway.

ReputationRep:
    where about do u live to do that referee ?? how old do u have to be ?

because im 14 and i need the money ! and i live in derby in chaddesden and theres no jobs which will take me because im not 15 :mad:

ReputationRep:
    hi im a ref therese no work yet but you can take a 4 week course that will cost about 15 pounds if you need numbers ither e-mail me at [email protected]
    [email protected]
    or call me on 07863269422 if you call me call me beetween 7-00 and 8-00 and night thats the best time because i can grt the right info
    refing will start again about 19 august so call me or e-mail me and ill give you ur county number so you can call them and get more info

you can always become a cricket umpire im not becase thts boring

ReputationRep:
    i had a pert time job over the summer and being only fourteen and as it was my first job, i was only getting paid £12 a day for seven hours straight ofwork, i didnt realise how bad that was until i had many poeple tell me, anyway as it is winter and there is no more need for icecream i am in a search for anothre job, iknow i am slightly more likely to get one as i have already had one but i am not too sure where i can look, any ideas???

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Hiya every1, ive just read all ur posts and Im also looking for a job. I have tried a paper round, that wasnt 4 me! My mum registered to do avon but I do almost all of the work so i get the pay but that is never a steady rate. I would do any type of work experience as I want to get as much knowledge and experience of all jobs - although my main interest is in Media! I'd, obviously, love to earn money but that isn't important so I will also eagerly take up any offers of work experience ANY weekend and thursdays and fridays after 2.30 (that includes travelling) for no pay.

If anybody has any work experience offers, in the Greater Manchester and Manchester area, (especially in media) please send me an email ([email protected]) and I will be in contact as soon as I see it. I will make the tea and coffee if you want (anything!!!) and Im very socialable so we will get along great!

Thank You! xXx Lucy xXx

ReputationRep:
    I got a job at 14 working in a Newsagents. I was paid £1.75 an hour to begin with, which increased to £2 an hour when I was 15 and then £2.50 an hour at 16. I did the exact same job as the adults, infact I did more physical work, but was still paid 1/3 of their wage.

Just be careful what you let yourself in for, there's no minimum wage for under 18's, so people can pay you whatever the Hell they like.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.