The Student Room Group

"Teachers should not give sweets and chocolates as a reward"

Scroll to see replies

I don't see anything wrong with rewarding good work...

It gives positive attention to those who do work, encouraging them to carry on, and letting them know it's appreciated- in class, attention so often falls upon those who're misbehaving, it's nice to recognise those who do behave and try- and a bit of encouragement can go a long way to life-long motivation.

I remember having a system in Infant School, whereby every class had a number of bricks they could earn a day- you gained one for each 'thing' on the list, like lunchtime behaviour, so all classes had a fair opportunity to gain the numbers of bricks. At the end of the week, the class with the most bricks overall would win, and they could choose a fun reward- a turn on the adventure playground, a day in non-uniform, a new book for the class, we even got a wormery once [we asked for a class pet!]... it encouraged the class to work together, and was far more long lasting than sweets.

We also had a table system in Year 2, whereby the best table won a little plastic animal- probably more expensive in the long run than sweets, but excellent nonetheless- you gained something you could keep and collect, and picking the coolest, brightly coloured animals was such a reward!

We had the 'Gold Book' too, where a student from each class was recognised weekly, and given a certificate...

In year 4, we were given stickers, with words such as "wow" on, for good work- in the book, and it genuinely encouraged us to try our best, to earn the stickers- they were given when you'd done work to a standard that was excellent for you, and you'd done your best. It was portrayed as an honour to get one, and a word would be picked to match your work... I remember the excitement of opening your book to find one!

We also had a behaviour thing in Junior school, where the best behaved class member was allowed to take home over the weekend, and have with them during the week, a specific cuddly toy- and the recognition was brilliant.

I think it comes down, in part, to children of an age needing recognition of their work- as a 15 year old, I recognise, good work gets good grades, and will get me a good Uni course, etc- but at the age or 8, you don't comprehend that...

I'm sure people can remember being rewarded for things, and encouraged, and I believe that's what leads to motivation later on- knowing deep down, that there is a point to working hard!

Sweets, of course, have been used- the memorable case of the teacher who used a system whereby if you got through the afternoon without making her lose it, you were given a minstrel- that's not good, because you should be expected to behave to a degree...

I don't agree with using sweets as bribery, or bribing students to behave...

I believe longer lasting rewards are better than sweets, they may be cheap, but it creates, in part, unhealthy associations with food, to begin with...

But I totally agree with the concept of rewarding students.

And as for stickers? There's a reason those in my French class through Year 10 & 11 learnt their vocabulary every few weeks, namely the stickers you got for getting full marks on the test! :P
Reply 61
Original post by Ocassus
It's called positive reinforcement, it works on most animals including humans. It is rooted in a primitive part of our psyche and is far stronger than the higher developed areas of the brain. It will ALWAYS be an effective teaching technique.

rooted in a primitive part of our psyche... so is pooping in the corner.

It is not a 'teaching technique' it is indulgence of misbehavior, over use of the carrot in an age where the stick is all but banned.

It is nothing more than laziness from educators who either cannot or cannot be bothered to construct a lesson that is both engaging and informative or are too non confrontational to tell an unruly child to shut up or get out.

All these quick rewards do is affirm in a child's mind that good behaviour deserves reward and then what happens at another point when instant reward is not produced?
Original post by Donald Duck
It's not the few sweets, it is the association of eating as a reward which does. (My aunt blames this for making her fat, though she changed due to therapeutic sessions)

Parents do it to their children all the time - If we're making that statement, it's not fair that we penalise just teachers.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
The upper sixth go mad for bubbles, because they know that their time for that kind of thing will be officially over when they leave school and they want to recapture their childhood one last time.

That is, until they reach uni, realise that they all want to be act like juvenile kids and that there isn't even anyone telling them not to :P
Original post by Ocassus
Aha, familiar with the skinner box experiment are we? :beard:

I am familiar with the skinner box experiment but I was referring to this talk http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VwNY_-FiwYU

I found it very interesting the way video games were portrayed as positive due to the rapid and uncertain reward structure.

Also I believe that Dan Arriely in his book The Upside of Irrationality referred to the Skinner Box experiment with rat pellets when looking at contrafreeloading.
Original post by im so academic
What "uni" was this?

Keble College, Oxford.
Original post by CLS94
That is, until they reach uni, realise that they all want to be act like juvenile kids and that there isn't even anyone telling them not to :P

Yeah, true. No longer my problem!
Reply 67
It annoys me when they only give you one. :O
No wonder british kids are getting fat.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
We've been advised not to give out sweets so that the kids aren't overdosing on sugar and being hyperactive. I still do regardless, but I have more of a tendency to give out more permanent things, mainly from Tesco's party bag fillers aisle. I keep a stash of non food items anyway, for the kids who can't eat the gelatine in Haribo and Percy Pigs. The older the kid, the more juvenile the item. The upper sixth go mad for bubbles, because they know that their time for that kind of thing will be officially over when they leave school and they want to recapture their childhood one last time.

You're never too old for bubbles!! :bubbles:
Reply 70
Oh this is beyond a joke. Our Eng lit. class had a double one day every week and we were given the odd chocolate biscuit or flapjack... and I can safely say we don't need double doors for the class.

If someone wants to get fat, they will regardless you don't honestly think the odd mini-egg is going to pile on four stone!?

Kids eat sweets when they want, on the way home irrespective of health warnings

>.> I say bring on the fudgeeeeee :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by Shanij
The problem is, some parents feel that it ISN'T their child's fault and is the teachers.

If they've let the school know, and the teachers been told, then I understand.
If not, then they can't really be blamed :smile:
All this is nonsense about obesity and hyperactivity, really. A strawberry creme once a week is going to hurt nobody. Everything in moderation.

I do a fair but of delivering training in my Students' Union and sweets are just part of the package. They need not just be a reward, but it's a way of keeping students' attention but also getting their minds thinking.

The same reason reason I use brightly coloured marker pens with fruit scents, leave stress balls and juggling bits and pieces on the table, and mix it up with engaging activities rather than a lesson of note-taking and answering questions. Games are a particularly useful activity which are well under-valued.

Learning should be a fun experience; if that means giving away a few sweets, then sure :smile:
It makes sense in a way, giving rewards for hard work.

When you are an adult, you work and are rewarded with money so children will get used to having to earn rewards.

Wouldn't use sweets as a reward all the time though, an earlier poster had a great idea about giving them small items that they can keep for a long time.
Reply 74
In our German class, we played a game called German Baseball, and whoever one a game got sweets. It worked, we all learned German really well, but I took French instead.
Awaiting Jamie Oliver to spam this thread...
Original post by DarkWhite
You're never too old for bubbles!! :bubbles:

That has certainly been my experience. Allow me to direct you to the Tesco party toy aisle, where you can buy them in multipacks and lots of different shapes. The ice cream cone shape is a personal favourite. Too expensive for the whole class to get one, but good as a prize.
Reply 77
It depends on your class. Usually I give stamps to year 7 and 8 (although some year 10s/11s like them too). I gave a sweet to the first person ready to leave form time and go their class once the bell had gone - really speeded up the whole class. Whenever I finished placement I got some sweets and chocolates for everyone. Occasionally I would give a chocolate as a reward e.g. the group with the best presentation.
My year 12 chemistry teacher gave a lollipop to the winning team in a quiz we did, and my physics teacher gave me a Mars bar when he found out I got an A in physics. Also, my year 11 PSHE teacher used to give us stickers :biggrin:
It's those ever small things which teachers give me, which allows me to be motivated. Even if it is just a "Well done, keep up the hard work" comment on my work, or by face, it motivates me to know that the teacher believes that I can reach my full potential.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending