This discussion is closed.
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
is voluntary work important for medicine courses. or is relevant work experience enough. just had a thought. if volunteering at a hospital, arent you doing work experience? would that count as volunteering or would volunteering be more like at a fire station or something?
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Undry1)
is voluntary work important for medicine courses. or is relevant work experience enough. just had a thought. if volunteering at a hospital, arent you doing work experience? would that count as volunteering or would volunteering be more like at a fire station or something?
Giving up your own time, and not being paid for your efforts is volunteering. It's brilliant work expierience, rewarding and enriches your personal statement, particularly if you are intending to do a medical course.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am currently invovled in voluntery work. I am making a database driven website for a local community centre. As I am a web developer it is what I do all the time however because I am doing it for free and giving up time its counted as volunteering and will look good on my CV.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I am currently invovled in voluntery work. I am making a database driven website for a local community centre. As I am a web developer it is what I do all the time however because I am doing it for free and giving up time its counted as volunteering and will look good on my CV.
I did voluntary work last summer, i gave it up when i decided to continue four subjects. I worked with people with physical or learning disabilities. It was mentally strenuous. If you're volunteering, make sure you're comfortable with what you're doing!
bOdOING2
Report 16 years ago
It dosent matter really if u have a TON of volenteer work or work experience, wot matters is wot u LEARN from it, A person I know who got into Oxford med school said that he had only done a afternoon of volenteer work at a nursing home, and at the interview they wont ask you how long u volenteered for, they are more interested in wot u gained from the experiance.

However, that being said, alot of volenteer work or work experience certainly wont look bad on ur PS!
Bitewing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try volenteering at a hospice, - that definately looks impressive on a PS.
*Debi*
Report 16 years ago
just thought i add in maybe a good idea for a few days/ hours a week would be to become a member of your local st john ambulance division,depending largely on the division u will be able to go on duties and work towards service sheilds. i think uni's rate that sorta thing quite highly cause your wrking with the public all over the place and u can coem across a big variety of incidents. another thing that you may be able to do through the division is do work for the ambulance service in your area. hope this is of some interest
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Work experience is always gooood - just phone your local hospital and ask for work experience on the wards. If you're under 18 you won't be allowed in theatre but they're usually gagging for doctors so they'll snap up anyone wanting to do work experience for medicine Though mind you, when I was doing my work experience they took me in to meet the consultant and she invited me to observe in theatre, so that was an added bonus!

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'd recommend doing a basic first aid course - it's great fun, useful in future employment and it's a good thing to put on your PS, though I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.
presebjenada
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by madmazda86)
Work experience is always gooood - just phone your local hospital and ask for work experience on the wards. If you're under 18 you won't be allowed in theatre but they're usually gagging for doctors so they'll snap up anyone wanting to do work experience for medicine
admissions tutors will have an orgasm if youve done lots of volunteering

(Original post by madmazda86)
and I'd recommend doing a basic first aid course - it's great fun, useful in future employment and it's a good thing to put on your PS, though I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.
st johns ambulance do good courses and a friend of mine was invited to shadow an ambulance crew for the summer after completing the course
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.79%
Better than expected (129)
21.75%
Worse than expected (317)
53.46%

Watched Threads