Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    magenta comic sans ms 3 B
    hey guyz ,
    i had a question about physics coursework.
    simple harmonic motion!!!
    would u recommend a simple pendulum or a mass-spring system???
    thx
    zaz
    xx : :eek:

ReputationRep:
    the mass spring system, as the pendulum is only an approximation to the SHM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    the mass spring system, as the pendulum is only an approximation to the SHM
    Thx
    but what would be better a datalogger or using a protractor and stopclock???
    zaz
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Thx
    but what would be better a datalogger or using a protractor and stopclock???
    zaz
    xxx
    a datalogger would be so much better because it removes some significant sources of error, ie the human reflexes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    a datalogger would be so much better because it removes some significant sources of error, ie the human reflexes.
    thx so much!!!
    the most offputting thing about this practical wa sthe fact that the schools datalogger records the displacement in degrees !!!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else have any further opinions?????
    hmmmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how you could use a protractor with a mass on a spring unless you are going to study some rather complicated vertical and horizontal combined motion.

But, I agree with elpaw...dataloggers are fantastic assuming you can get them to work properly. I would recommend that you had your datalogger connected to a computer while you are making your measurements so that you can see them on the screen. Also, plot graphs as you go along so that you can see that predicted relationships are being seen.

ReputationRep:
    thank you,
    that's exactly what i considered but my physics teacher didn't approve of it much, thus i doubted myself.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if its any consolation, Professors of physics in Cambridge tell us to do it that way so I think you should tell your teacher that. If he still thinks he knows best then...............

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, perhaps she wanted an easier option and that was the use of no information technology in the investigation

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.