Nose piercing help :)

Watch
Chlomc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there!

So i'm actually in love with nose piercings and had mine done 2 years ago but had some issues with it.
First one was what it was pierced with. He used an earring, which was big and bulky and had a massive butterfly clogging up my nose. After 4 weeks he changed it to an actual nose stud (after the swelling went down, which is why he says he uses earrings. Also because the butterfly stops it falling out) But the ones he changed it to was so small thin and flimsy. And the gem was absolutely tiny. So i after a few months and it had healed i ordered some off the internet and bought some from claires sized 20G. However when i tried to put anything other than the ones he sold in they just did not fit. They were too big.

as i was 14 at the time and my school had a fit everytime they saw my wearing it i decided to just take it out and get it redone once i'd left school.

And now i've left school :L So im planning on redoing it next weekend, however im bringing my own jewellery that i want him to put in. The only problem is i REALLY want to avoid the gauge promblem i had before so what size should i go for? I dont want a MASSIVE hole in my nose but i dont want the tinyest one either.

Also what material out of titanium or surgical steel or bioflex should i order to have my nose pierced with?

and finally what type of stud would be best, corkscrew, L shaped etc? I really dont want it to fall out in the night

thanks in advance!
Ocarinaoftime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A decent piercer will do no bigger and no smaller than 1.8mm, and should give you a corkscrew or a ball closure ring- whichever you prefer, it won't fall out and at first put a plaster over it at night incase you nudge it, this will keep it in place. I choose to have a nose ring because it was easier to clean and such.

I recently took mine out for the second time, far too many issues unfortunately :/ My nose just won't accept it even though my other piercings were fine -.-
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's highly unlikely a good piercer will use jewellery you've brought in, as they have no way of knowing the quality. However, a good piercer should have a reasonable selection of high-quality jewellery that you can choose from. Speak to your piercer - don't bother wasting your money buying something that they almost certainly will refuse to use. They should use titanium to begin with, and either a nostril screw, labret stud or a ring. I would avoid the ring (they move around a lot and often delay healing time) and go for a nostril screw or labret. Mine were pierced with nostril screws but I wear labret studs now (threadless Neometal labrets, so they have tiny ends) and much prefer them for comfort.

(Original post by Ocarinaoftime)
A decent piercer will do no bigger and no smaller than 1.8mm, and should give you a corkscrew or a ball closure ring- whichever you prefer, it won't fall out and at first put a plaster over it at night incase you nudge it, this will keep it in place. I choose to have a nose ring because it was easier to clean and such.

I recently took mine out for the second time, far too many issues unfortunately :/ My nose just won't accept it even though my other piercings were fine -.-
Not sure about that - 1.8mm isn't even a standard size, and 1.6mm (14g) is pretty unusual for a nostril piercing. 1mm (18g) is the size most piercers tend to use...sometimes 1.2mm (16g). Also, rings aren't great in piercings and they aren't easier to clean either IMO. As they tend to rotate through the piercing easier than other jewellery, it can drag in bacteria etc and a lot of people find them irritating in a healing piercing.
Ocarinaoftime
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
It's highly unlikely a good piercer will use jewellery you've brought in, as they have no way of knowing the quality. However, a good piercer should have a reasonable selection of high-quality jewellery that you can choose from. Speak to your piercer - don't bother wasting your money buying something that they almost certainly will refuse to use. They should use titanium to begin with, and either a nostril screw, labret stud or a ring. I would avoid the ring (they move around a lot and often delay healing time) and go for a nostril screw or labret. Mine were pierced with nostril screws but I wear labret studs now (threadless Neometal labrets, so they have tiny ends) and much prefer them for comfort.

Not sure about that - 1.8mm isn't even a standard size, and 1.6mm (14g) is pretty unusual for a nostril piercing. 1mm (18g) is the size most piercers tend to use...sometimes 1.2mm (16g).
That's really odd to me because both times my nose was pierced it was 1.8mm and my lip was pierced with a 1.2mm needle, I think my nose was pierced at 1.8mm because I wanted a nose ring though as opposed to a stud so that could be the reason, plus it seems every piercer does something different from my experience. At the time though I'd rather have been pierced with a smaller needle, haha.
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ocarinaoftime)
That's really odd to me because both times my nose was pierced it was 1.8mm and my lip was pierced with a 1.2mm needle, I think my nose was pierced at 1.8mm because I wanted a nose ring though as opposed to a stud so that could be the reason, plus it seems every piercer does something different from my experience. At the time though I'd rather have been pierced with a smaller needle, haha.
Where do you even find 1.8mm jewellery? I don't know any of the big/popular body jewellery websites that sell it. It always baffles me when I see it mentioned occasionally, haha. There's no way I'd want my nostril piercing any bigger gauge than it is, the ends on my labret studs are only 1.5mm and I think any bigger usually looks bulky. I have both nostrils pierced though so rings would look pretty odd!
Ocarinaoftime
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)
Where do you even find 1.8mm jewellery? I don't know any of the big/popular body jewellery websites that sell it. It always baffles me when I see it mentioned occasionally, haha. There's no way I'd want my nostril piercing any bigger gauge than it is, the ends on my labret studs are only 1.5mm and I think any bigger usually looks bulky. I have both nostrils pierced though so rings would look pretty odd!
Yno...I don't even know! I just kept my ring in but took the little ball out because I felt it was far too big and I looked like a bull, the one time I bought a nose stud it was 1.2mm, I was going to just downsize it but I think with those ball closure rings you can get them in 1.8mm because you can wear them in you lip, septum etc so it's not a nostril exclusive piece of jewellery. I'm not going to lie, getting my nose pierced the last time was actually super painful and I have a good pain threshold, the weirdest thing about it was that it hurt more when he pushed the ring through as if the hole was too small! I always seemed to get problems with my nose piercing, both times as well which sucks because I do love them. I also love both nostrils pierced with studs in them!, I bet it looks really nice
shinningchristy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have not pierced my nose but I guess, I'll have to try now, because it is started to sound very interesting.
colef001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I recently had my nose pierced for the second time after I had to take it out for my job. Now that's finished I can have it done again. :-)

Both times I've had a nostril screw put in, made of surgical steel and both have been 1.0mm gauge and I've had no problems with the size. My stud has never fallen out but I did pull it out once in the early days the first time I got it pierced (caught it on my towel drying my face!) but it was easy to put back. I've heard some people put plasters over them to stop them falling out in the night but I've never done that as I was told to leave it open to the air and plasters will create a good environment for bacteria.

Personally I prefer wearing nose screws to rings, I had a captive bead ring in for a little while and it was a nightmare. I found it got infected almost straight away, the fact that the ring moves means you can drag bacteria and dirt into it easily. The fact that it's a nightmare to remove at home didn't help either.

I can't imagine a piercer would let you bring their own jewellery because they can't be sure what it's made from or if it's sterile. A good piercer will open a brand new piercing from it's sterile packaging in front of you.

Hope this is helpful to you, good luck! :-)
Chlomc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks all for the info and help I searched for another studio nearish to me, and found one that was about 40 mins away and 10 pounds more expensive than my local studio but they used proper jewellery so it was worth it in my opinion

I had it pierced with titanium blue jeweled nose screw and its been great so far! (Had it done 11 days now) For the first week it bleed A LOT. I'd wake up and half my nose was covered in dried blood this got me really worried so i contacted the piercer but was told this was normal and in fact that it meant i had good amount of blood flow there which would speed up the healing process.

Right now its great, doesn't bleed at all. Isn't sore, isn't red. The jewellery hasnt fallen out so im happy
Jaha jajajajahha
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have it peirced With titanium that's the best you can get!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (60)
36.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (17)
10.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (9)
5.52%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (39)
23.93%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
14.72%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.59%

Watched Threads