Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Temp Job.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I'm heading to Australia in December or January, and unfortunately I won't be able to get a job until late September due to a number of different factors. I know this doesn't leave me a very long time to save up some money for my trip. I'm just wondering, when applying for jobs, would I apply for a permanent position or a temporary one?

Whilst I'm in Australia, I'll be on the on the year working visa, which would mean I'm only able to stay at a company for 6 months at a time. Does this mean I'd apply for a permanent position, then hand my notice in just before my 6 months are up? Or just apply for a temporary position?

Do I need to let the employer know how long I intend to stay for at a job in the UK or Aus?

Sorry if it's a really dumb question... which I have a feeling it is!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamMac)
    Hey Guys,

I'm heading to Australia in December or January, and unfortunately I won't be able to get a job until late September due to a number of different factors. I know this doesn't leave me a very long time to save up some money for my trip. I'm just wondering, when applying for jobs, would I apply for a permanent position or a temporary one?

Whilst I'm in Australia, I'll be on the on the year working visa, which would mean I'm only able to stay at a company for 6 months at a time. Does this mean I'd apply for a permanent position, then hand my notice in just before my 6 months are up? Or just apply for a temporary position?

Do I need to let the employer know how long I intend to stay for at a job in the UK or Aus?

Sorry if it's a really dumb question... which I have a feeling it is!

Thanks!
    I'm pretty sure you can apply for a permanent job and just leave when you leave.

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.