8.85%
    Moderately pro-choice
    21.65%
    Strongly pro-choice
    47.97%

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    On this issue, pretty strongly pro-choice.

When it's still within the mothers' womb, it's just a part of her body and she should be free to get rid of it.
    It's far better to have an abortion than to bring a child into the world which the parents don't particularly want/can give it the attention, time and effort it deserves. Bringing an unwanted child into the world is crullern than not having one in the first place, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Choice all the way, although the earlier done the better. In the early stages of development an abortion is no different from using a contraceptive.

ReputationRep:
    Moderatle pro-life. I value life more than choice, but obviously there would be psychological trauma for the women if she had the child (for instance, if she had been raped or was too young). With this choice I can say that I am pro-life, but I recognise that there are different circumstances for everyone and some element of choice should be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecrimsonidol)

When it's still within the mothers' womb, it's just a part of her body and she should be free to get rid of it.
    It's far better to have an abortion than to bring a child into the world which the parents don't particularly want/can give it the attention, time and effort it deserves. Bringing an unwanted child into the world is crullern than not having one in the first place, in my opinion.
    Agreed. But shouldn't the couple in question be more responsible?

ReputationRep:
    depends largely on circumstances and also how long through the pregnancy. I am strongly against abortion just because 'i'm not ready' or 'i want a boy' type arguments.

ReputationRep:
    All contraceptives are fine. Except the morning after pill/coil insertion after fertilisation.
    Once the egg and sperm are fertilised, a potential life is created.
    Any destroying of life is classed as murder. Murder is wrong.

If the egg and sperm do not fertilise, then fine. I don't see any problems with other contraceptive forms.
    Some people just aren't ready to be parents.

It's when you have people who don't use contraception and go around aborting fetus' left right and centre.
    It's murder. That potential life could grow to be the next Einstein, or could invent the cure for cancer!

I voted Moderately pro-life, as in the case of extreme disability or illness that could cause suffering, then it is (rarely) in certain circumstances, possibly acceptable for abortion.

People say they have abortions because of money, depression, inability to cope.
    Think about the millions of families and couples who can't have children. They would love a child, it would be loved, supported...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Agreed. But shouldn't the female in question be more responsible?
    Indeed but no contraception is 100% effective after all.

And then there's the whole "what if she was raped" scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Strongly pro-life.

Exceptions would be pre-natal testing showing the foetus is incompatible with life post-partum (note: incompatible with life, not disabled) and continuation of the pregnancy would likely lead to the death of the mother.

Otherwise, no I don't think it is right to kill this life for other reasons often cited for abortion (disability of the child, negative context of conception, and most common reason of all, inconvenience of the mother).

BTW, I am an atheist, before I get shouted down as a religious book thumper.

ReputationRep:

That unwanted child could go to a loving couple who can't have children!!

ReputationRep:

So abortion right up until 9 months is fine for you?

Are you sure that the "unwanted" nature of pregnancy is so extreme that is warrants pre-emptive killing of that life (a life that you have not consulted as to whether it wants to be killed or not).

There is always adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    Choice all the way, although the earlier done the better. In the early stages of development an abortion is no different from using a contraceptive.
    So abortion right up until 9 months is fine with you?

ReputationRep:
    Hasnt this thread been over done so so many times now...?
    regardless, womens body womens choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenaLights)
    I imagine if everyone who had an abortion took your aproach and kept the child, to give it to an adoption home there would be more kids waiting to be adopted now then there currently are, which is not a desireable thing. You're assuming there will be a 'loving couple' for every child which is aborted. I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pro-choice, but from a personal perspective I don't think I could ever abort my own child unless continuing with the pregnancy would endanger my own life/health. I have no problem with other women/couples choosing to abort however, if they feel that it's the right choice for them.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops! Got confused and put ,moderately pro life instead of moderately pro choice! :lol: stupid me!

I feel that on the whole the women who choose to have an abortion go through great difficulty in deciding to take such a route. If a woman has an abortion it is usually a decision of responsibility and has reason.

I do however feel slightly sick when I read stories of women who have had abortions because their child would have been a boy/girl etc.. I'm not sure if they were sensationalist fabrications, but I do believe that such reasons are mot a justification for having an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    Strongly pro-choice.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed but no contraception is 100% effective after all.

And then there's the whole "what if she was raped" scenario.
    In terms of the contraception argument, I accept that it may be ineffective, but people should be aware of the consequences when partaking in sexual intercouse. That said, it's tricky as some people may not be emotionally ready to raise a child.

If she was raped, that's different as it is very likely she had no choice in the matter and you cannot expect her to raise a child in those circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenaLights)
    have you seen the adoption rates in this country? they arent good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    regardless, womens body womens choice.
    Woman's body=woman's choice; so she can so what she likes to whoever is in her body? A bit like the patriarchal argument Man's house=man's choice, as an excuse for him to do whatever he wants to whoever is in his house.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.