Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cos im not so bothered by which college i really wanted to go to, so I figured that I would apply to a college that is easiest to get into, (i.e. have to lowest applicats to offers ratio, and usually have the 'worst' (in terms of Oxbridge medicine) applicats).

Could som1 help plz?

ReputationRep:
    why not go for an open application instead? the applications per place ratios can be a lil misleading, cos they change every year, so if 300 people applyin for medicine se that one college had a low ratio they'll all go for that,increasing the odds of you beign successful. coming from a (very good) state school that generally send people to oxford though, we were advised to steer clear of the prestigious colleges, kings, trinity, st johns etc, cos there'd be too many applicants and there would still be a bias towards public school, no matter what they said. it worked...loads of us got offers, and the girl in my school who applied to kings, for english, got rejected, even though she's probably better than the other 2 girls who got in elsewhere.
    thats just my opinion though, if you're a woman go for a womans college too? apparantly new hall is right next to churchill (70% men)

ReputationRep:
    The appplicant ratio as the above post said is misleading. Go for the college that seems suitable for you. Going just for the name is not a good enough reason, and the interviewers can normanlly see through people like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    Cos im not so bothered by which college i really wanted to go to, so I figured that I would apply to a college that is easiest to get into, (i.e. have to lowest applicats to offers ratio, and usually have the 'worst' (in terms of Oxbridge medicine) applicats).

Could som1 help plz?
    woman college/girton

by the way person a gets thrown into girton interview, and person b gets girton interview through 1st choice, do they both have equal chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    woman college/girton

by the way person a gets thrown into girton interview, and person b gets girton interview through 1st choice, do they both have equal chances?
    I think Girton doesn't find out whether you applied directly or via an open application, so yes.

ReputationRep:
    open app would be best or if you are feeling rich then you could try homerton (if they do med) but the rents there are about twice everywhere else.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    open app would be best or if you are feeling rich then you could try homerton (if they do med) but the rents there are about twice everywhere else.

MB

Does anyone know why they cost twice as much? Is it just economic reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    why not go for an open application instead? the applications per place ratios can be a lil misleading, cos they change every year, so if 300 people applyin for medicine se that one college had a low ratio they'll all go for that,increasing the odds of you beign successful. coming from a (very good) state school that generally send people to oxford though, we were advised to steer clear of the prestigious colleges, kings, trinity, st johns etc, cos there'd be too many applicants and there would still be a bias towards public school, no matter what they said. it worked...loads of us got offers, and the girl in my school who applied to kings, for english, got rejected, even though she's probably better than the other 2 girls who got in elsewhere.
    thats just my opinion though, if you're a woman go for a womans college too? apparantly new hall is right next to churchill (70% men)
    I wouldnt even try and read into it that much. Kings is 80% state school, so thats actually very good if your state. Trinity is very presitigeous. Put in an open application, then youll get put into one of the colleges with least applicants. But i wouldnt try and second guess the system too much, go for where looks nice and atkes a good number of medics. I ended up going for emma cause i liked it, i ignored what everyone said about it being very academic, and just went for it, and got itn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    I wouldnt even try and read into it that much. Kings is 80% state school, so thats actually very good if your state. Trinity is very presitigeous. Put in an open application, then youll get put into one of the colleges with least applicants. But i wouldnt try and second guess the system too much, go for where looks nice and atkes a good number of medics. I ended up going for emma cause i liked it, i ignored what everyone said about it being very academic, and just went for it, and got itn!
    You have a great hatred for public schoolers dont you? I dont have a problem if someone is state or public school, it depends on what sort of person they are, you get w*nkers in both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Does anyone know why they cost twice as much? Is it just economic reasons?
    didnt know that it costs twice as much? :confused: is that for everyone?

ReputationRep:
    i think its because its a newer college?my friend has got in there for natsci, she visited last week, very plush accomodation aparantly, all en suited and everything.

btw how do u quote a reply? i havent worked out how to do it on here yet
    priya xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    I think Girton doesn't find out whether you applied directly or via an open application, so yes.
    No, they do. But Open Applicants and people who choose colleges directly officially have the same chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i think its because its a newer college?my friend has got in there for natsci, she visited last week, very plush accomodation aparantly, all en suited and everything.

priya xxxx
    like this! by clicking the reply button inside the post.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    like this! by clicking the reply button inside the post.

MB
    like this?>woohoo! thank u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, they do. But Open Applicants and people who choose colleges directly officially have the same chances.
    Wow, I'm an idiot. Apparently colleges in Oxford don't find out who applied to them directly so I assumed the same happened in Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)

priya xxxx
    Click the "reply" button situated under the post that you want to quote, not the "post reply" button found right at the top and right at the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    I wouldnt even try and read into it that much. Kings is 80% state school, so thats actually very good if your state.
    Actually, a college with a high state application acceptance rate would be under less pressure from the University to take more state schoolers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Actually, a college with a high state application acceptance rate would be under less pressure from the University to take more state schoolers.
    I agree, a college with a particularly low state school intake would be anxious to increase it, and thus a state-schooler applying to it might benefit from "positive discrimination". I am sure King's Cambridge only accepts 80% state school because mostly state school pupils apply on the grounds that it has gained a reputation for being pro-state school, not because they intrinsically prefer state school educated undergraduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I agree, a college with a particularly low state school intake would be anxious to increase it.
    Unless you're O***L college, Oxford, who are known to have said "our state school ratio is over 40% now. What more do you want?" to the Admissions Office. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, couldnt find this post for ages, no im not a woman, and is not more biased towards applying to Oxford (Having just visited there), and ive heard open applications can be bad for u... can som1 plz suggest some easy colleges to get into for med??

Thanx!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.