Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    I've always said playoff systems are unfair on the teams who've performed brilliantly all season, in that it turns a league tournament into a more unpredictable cup situation.
    It creates winners though. Ever wondered why Aussies are so damn good at winning things when it comes tot he crunch? There is often little pressure on a normal league game.

The intensity is raised when you play knock out, it would certainly help England's chances of lifting a major championship anyway. The play off system does favour the top ranked teams though, thats the key to it, its fairer than football promotion play off systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I take it you're studying in London and lived in Manchester previously then?
    If that addresses me, no I've lived in London all my life. I'll be going to university in Manchester (grades willing).

(Original post by waiting2smile)
    Don't worry. You're just in denial
    No. Don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    It creates winners though. Ever wondered why Aussies are so damn good at winning things when it comes tot he crunch? There is often little pressure on a normal league game.

The intensity is raised when you play knock out, it would certainly help England's chances of lifting a major championship anyway. The play off system does favour the top ranked teams though, thats the key to it, its fairer than football promotion play off systems.
    A team who is clear on top of the table deserves to win. If the teams at the top of the table are close in points, the battle will always be close, and you get a competition where the tiniest slip-up can prove costly. The premiership has had it's own share of dramatic endings, at both the top and the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Never did like that system. If a team wins the premiership over 38 games, they deserve to win. Especially if they win by many points.
    I disagree. When you know there is a play off system, you dont have to win the most out of 38 games, thats the whole point. You base your season around the end, to peak at the right time so to speak. This creates a great spectacle. I find it quite amusing how Australians have a completely different view to the average british person. If you dont win the grand final after finnishing 1st in the normal league you dont deserve to be crowned champions, it sorts the winners from the losers IMO.

ReputationRep:
    If that addresses me, no I've lived in London all my life. I'll be going to university in Manchester (grades willing).
    fair enough, i would still call you a glory hunter mind unless your parents from there or something :P but thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    fair enough, i would still call you a glory hunter mind unless your parents from there or something :P but thats just me.
    Just you and many others. But I'm loyal to my team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    A team who is clear on top of the table deserves to win. If the teams at the top of the table are close in points, the battle will always be close, and you get a competition where the tiniest slip-up can prove costly. The premiership has had it's own share of dramatic endings, at both the top and the bottom.
    Its fair share isnt good enough for the passing supporter. You get dramatic, intense games guarenteed. Like I said before, you dont base your season around the games leading up to the play offs, you base the maround the play offs (obviously you have to get enought points to get into the play offs)

ReputationRep:
    Stay loyal at all costs

ReputationRep:
    But when you're drunk - you're a real Arsenal fan

ReputationRep:
    Its fair share isnt good enough for the passing supporter. You get dramatic, intense games guarenteed. Like I said before, you dont base your season around the games leading up to the play offs, you base the maround the play offs (obviously you have to get enought points to get into the play offs)
    The Premiership is entertaining and intense enough without any la-di-dah playoff system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    Chelsea are still awful bearing in mind that they've spent about £120million since the August.. Whereas Arsenal have spent about £25million.. on two players.

And Utd.. that's just funny.
    u can not expect them to gel that quickly and just spending 125 milliion does not mean that they would be good...half of them are not even in the team for god sake...
    utd is funniest...they really suck now :-)

ReputationRep:
    it'll never happen in football joey, and im glad of it. the division 1/2/3 play offs are often very poor, playoff football does not guarantee an exciting game.

another example is when watford won promotion to the premiership, they were over 10 points behind 3rd place (ipswich i think?) but went up in the playoffs, which isn't really fair if they just play out of their skins or the opponent has an off day for a seasons work to be wasted.

ReputationRep:
    But when you're drunk - you're a real Arsenal fan
    No I'm really not. I'm always a United fan. Don't try and convert me, I'm now in a foul mood.

ReputationRep:
    The Premiership is entertaining and intense enough without any la-di-dah playoff system.
    I disagree, it isnt i've watched some absolutley dire games with nothing to play for. It makes it more interesting, it allows teams to have hope of still winning the champinship right down to the last day of the regualr season.

No one dared answer my question before. Why do you think Aussies always peak at the right time in crunch games? They have been brought up with these kinds of system. Do you ever want to see England lift a major trophy again? This system would certainly help.

ReputationRep:
    The top 6 are already playing for places in European competition, they shouldn't get the domestic trophy too.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm really not. I'm always a United fan. Don't try and convert me, I'm now in a foul mood.
    ...another time then. Being in denial isn't a very good thing. You have to confront the truth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    it'll never happen in football joey, and im glad of it. the division 1/2/3 play offs are often very poor, playoff football does not guarantee an exciting game.

another example is when watford won promotion to the premiership, they were over 10 points behind 3rd place (ipswich i think?) but went up in the playoffs, which isn't really fair if they just play out of their skins or the opponent has an off day for a seasons work to be wasted.

I'm not sure. It was rumoured it might be put into place about a year ago for the distant future. It has certainly been discussed.

Watch the british or Australian rugby league play offs, that might just change your mind, the problem is people are scared of change, most rugby league fans now embrace the system and will defend it, because it creates a much better product.

And like I said, you dont waste a seasons work. The season builds up to the play offs, not the other way around. If England go and whack every team in the EURO champ group stage then lose in the Quarters, it proves they are losers, not winners, to help breed winners this kind of system is needed.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, it isnt i've watched some absolutley dire games with nothing to play for. It makes it more interesting, it allows teams to have hope of still winning the champinship right down to the last day of the regualr season.

No one dared answer my question before. Why do you think Aussies always peak at the right time in crunch games? They have been brought up with these kinds of system. Do you ever want to see England lift a major trophy again? This system would certainly help.
    I reckon making the Premiership much smaller is the answer, that way we avoid mid-table mediocrity. There shouldn't be a playoff system that could still rob the overall best performer of their prize.

As for the Aussie thing, in cricket they have much fewer teams in the top division don't they. The trouble in England is that the season is so long and tiring, a problem that could be solved again by reducing the numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    The top 6 are already playing for places in European competition, they shouldn't get the domestic trophy too.

Lol. Europe means nothing. Especially today apart from Champions league. When you have a chance of winning the actual League, some teams would certainly raise their game over getting a place in the Uefa cup thats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    ...another time then. Being in denial isn't a very good thing. You have to confront the truth...
    Denial schmenial. Truth is I'm always a United fan through whatever happens, you ain't changing that. Don't joke with me now, I'm pissed off. Sorry.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.