Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Denial schmenial. Truth is I'm always a United fan through whatever happens, you ain't changing that. Don't joke with me now, I'm pissed off. Sorry.
    - it's only football! Not the end of the world!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon making the Premiership much smaller is the answer, that way we avoid mid-table mediocrity. There shouldn't be a playoff system that could still rob the overall best performer of their prize.

As for the Aussie thing, in cricket they have much fewer teams in the top division don't they. The trouble in England is that the season is so long and tiring, a problem that could be solved again by reducing the numbers.
    Well no, there are more teams in AUS. Just have provincial leagues which in this country would be North and SOuth leagues.

Lol, why cant I get through to people. The best overall performer is the one who wins the grand final. You built your season around the play offs, not through the league. In a pressure situation the best provail, not always the best players ability wise, but the ones who are winners. Thats why England will not win the Euro Championship.

And i'm not talking just about cricket. Every sport Aussies put their mind, at they usually beat the rest of the world. One of the mian reasons is because they have a non complacent mentality that nothing is won, until the end (in other words a grand final)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    - it's only football!
    I know but it's my team, it's a part of me and I take pride in me and my team. I don't appreciate blows to the old pride. I'll get over it.

ReputationRep:
    I know but it's my team, it's a part of me and I take pride in me and my team. I don't appreciate blows to the old pride. I'll get over it.
    wow, you sound like me when someone says, "swimming isnt important, and you guys suck!"

ReputationRep:
    Being third isn't bad surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    wow, you sound like me when someone says, "swimming isnt important, and you guys suck!"
    Of course you'll defend swimming, it's a part of you.

ReputationRep:
    But it is....

ReputationRep:
    Of course you'll defend swimming, it's a part of you.
    yes, and then i get all up their face and tell them to back off.....but usually i only do this to ukalalie, who hasnt learned his lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Being third isn't bad surely?
    It's not first. And we're easily capable of first. The anger is that we aren't performing to our potential.

The worst is having to deal with my mates, Arsenal fans and Chelsea fan, always keen to rub it in, which is harder to take as I do not hate their teams.

ReputationRep:
    the way you say "your season would be built around the playoffs" wouldn't make much difference to the premiership anyway. it would still be arsenal, man utd, chelsea, newcastle, liverpool (haha :P) and the likes of them playing off most years. in fact, i reckon it would actually make the league stage (the majority of the season) MORE boring, for a fortnight of playoff excitement? not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not first. And we're easily capable of first. The anger is that we aren't performing to our potential.

The worst is having to deal with my mates, Arsenal fans and Chelsea fan, always keen to rub it in, which is harder to take as I do not hate their teams.

And thats why a play off system would work. If Man U went on to win a grand final from the position they are in, it would make the champion players as well as champions, wehereas Arsenal would be losers, but we we know that already

ReputationRep:

lol......easily capable of first????? with Arsenal playing the way they are, Man UTD are only capable of second, and if their form over the next 10 or so games, is the same as their previous 7 games, then they are only capable of being 3RD...................i won't be surprise either if they get knocked out the Champions League, with the way they are playing.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    But it is....
    do you seriously want to get on my bad side? because you've taken a step in the wrong direction, right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    lol......easily capable of first????? with Arsenal playing the way they are, Man UTD are only capable of second, and if their form over the next 10 or so games, is the same as their previous 7 games, then they are only capable of being 3RD...................i won't be surprise either if they get knocked out the Champions League, with the way they are playing.....
    Excuse me, did I talk about form? I said we were easily capable of first, and I based that on the squad's ability and potential. That's wy we can make first, but our form means we aren't getting there. Doesn't make my claim ridiculous. So hush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    the way you say "your season would be built around the playoffs" wouldn't make much difference to the premiership anyway. it would still be arsenal, man utd, chelsea, newcastle, liverpool (haha :P) and the likes of them playing off most years. in fact, i reckon it would actually make the league stage (the majority of the season) MORE boring, for a fortnight of playoff excitement? not worth it.

Its more like 3 weeks.

Well, look at rugby league in both aus and here. It makes the season more exciting because teams know they still have a chance of picking up the trophy even if they are mid table. Like I said, people are reticent about change, if installed I have no doubt that people would embrace it, like they have done in other sports after a few years. If you ask most rugy fans in England for example who changed to playoffs in 98, they will tell you they thought it was a bad idea at first, but now love it, it is no coincidence that Britain were narrowly edged out by Australia last Autumn. The players are now experienced in pressure footy, thats what would make England a better team.

ReputationRep:
    do you seriously want to get on my bad side? because you've taken a step in the wrong direction, right there.
    Lol. It was a joke. You are too defensive, i've never been serious with you when I've said swimming was crap. I like watching it at the Olympics, like many sports. Chill, your too easy to wind up

ReputationRep:
    Its more like 3 weeks.

Well, look at rugby league in both aus and here. It makes the season more exciting because teams know they still have a chance of picking up the trophy even if they are mid table. Like I said, people are reticent about change, if installed I have no doubt that people would embrace it, like they have done in other sports after a few years. If you ask most rugy fans in England for example who changed to playoffs in 98, they will tell you they thought it was a bad idea at first, but now love it, it is no coincidence that Britain were narrowly edged out by Australia last Autumn. The players are now experienced in pressure footy, thats what would make England a better team.
    The mid-table premiership teams would embrace it as it would aid them in snatching a trophy they do not really merit. Lower teams wouldn't even notice it and the top teams wouldn't like it because it would actually reduce their chances of winning the league

I admit, rugby has some very good rules which football could certainly borrow from to make the game better. But I dont think this playoff lark is one of them. We'll have to agree to disagree

ReputationRep:
    Seems rugby will take any chance to differentiate itself from its father sport. Remember the proper name, rugby football.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. It was a joke. You are too defensive, i've never been serious with you when I've said swimming was crap. I like watching it at the Olympics, like many sports. Chill, your too easy to wind up
    yes, its a special talent of mine.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me, did I talk about form? I said we were easily capable of first, and I based that on the squad's ability and potential. That's wy we can make first, but our form means we aren't getting there. Doesn't make my claim ridiculous. So hush.
    what spuad ability??? what potential??? RVN is overrated as hell, the new players Ferguson have brought in ain't doing too good either, except for Saha. Losing Beckham was a big blow, and face it, they are just not good enough, to challenge Arsenal for the Title!!!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.