Turn on thread page Beta

Arsenal 1st, Chelsea 2nd, Man U 3rd!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    The mid-table premiership teams would embrace it as it would aid them in snatching a trophy they do not really merit. Lower teams wouldn't even notice it and the top teams wouldn't like it because it would actually reduce their chances of winning the league

I admit, rugby has some very good rules which football could certainly borrow from to make the game better. But I dont think this playoff lark is one of them. We'll have to agree to disagree
    Agreed.

One of those rules is a salary cap. That would mean, that teams like Man U, CHelsea couldnt buy their team, but have to nuture home grown talent more. The rule in Rugby league in this country is 1.8 million on all players, and your not allowed to spend more than 50% of your income on players. In other words Leeds wouldnt be in the mess they were in now if that was in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Seems rugby will take any chance to differentiate itself from its father sport. Remember the proper name, rugby football.
    in elementary school we werent allowed to play rugby.....it was to "rough" :rolleyes: i got suspended from school for playing soccer which rapidly turned to rugby EVERY recess.

ReputationRep:
    Seems rugby will take any chance to differentiate itself from its father sport. Remember the proper name, rugby football.

Yes, I refer to rugby as 'footy' usually when talking to my friends, it would just confuse people on here though!

Adapting a sport and making it better is the way forward

ReputationRep:
    If you base your season around playoffs, you might see teams like Arsenal not try too hard in the premiership. They'd know that there's no point in over-exerting yourself, when even if you do get many points, you do not have that much more advantage over the team placed 6. It would be silly. The teams would not really have any incentive to try and play at their best week in, week out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    If you base your season around playoffs, you might see teams like Arsenal not try too hard in the premiership. They'd know that there's no point in over-exerting yourself, when even if you do get many points, you do not have that much more advantage over the team placed 6. It would be silly. The teams would not really have any incentive to try and play at their best week in, week out.
    Which ruins Joey's suggestion that it would make the season more exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Which ruins Joey's suggestion that it would make the season more exciting.
    do you guys watch sports more than you play them? just curious!

ReputationRep:
    Never have known why on earth rugby is called american football in america and stuff. Makes no sense whatsoever. I don't think americans realise what it mean by football. It means using your FEET, not your hands. Kind of defeats the purpose of the name of the sport if you use hands and feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    do you guys watch sports more than you play them? just curious!
    For me there's more opportunity to watch than play. But I still play regularly. I participate in about 5-6 football games and about 1 basketball game per month. I watch hardly any basketball and about the same number of games in football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Never have known why on earth rugby is called american football in america and stuff. Makes no sense whatsoever. I don't think americans realise what it mean by football. It means using your FEET, not your hands. Kind of defeats the purpose of the name of the sport if you use hands and feet.
    we dont know.....we consider rugby to be a much rougher form of soccer, which is why we got in trouble at school for playing rugby! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i'm just back from the game. After 4 minutes, it looked like it was going to be a rout, we were totally dominating and charlton were doing absolutely nothing. We should have gone in at half time at least 4 clear. But instead, just to make it interesting, we start the second half very slowly, and charlton score from a dodgy freekick (desicion-wise) with their first short on target. From then on the place was as nervous as hell, and we conspired to miss 2 guilt edged opportunites within 5 minutes of them scoring. After that it was a backs-against-the-wall job, just soaking up pressure, only lit up by the fact that news came around that Fulham had equalised. I knew Charlton would get another chance, and they did, a shot came in, Lehmann did the most theatrical dive ever, and it hit the inside of the post, and somehow bounced across the goal. That was the big let off, i think it was either during or just before injury time, and I'm screaming all sort of expletives along with most of the north bank. Still Tel did his "ball in the corner" routine, and finally the whistle went, 3 points, 9 points clear, thank you very much.

As for Joey_Johns argument, it would be ridiculous to have play offs. The league is the standard, you know every game is important, right from the beginning of the season til the end. Its about consistency, not who can win a few games at the end, if you want to have peaks, then peak during cup runs. The league is the league, and every major football league is the same. I don't care about Aussies, and in footballing terms they're nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    For me there's more opportunity to watch than play. But I still play regularly. I participate in about 5-6 football games and about 1 basketball game per month. I watch hardly any basketball and about the same number of games in football.
    yeah, in my younger years when we had recess during school i played soccer, football, and basketball, but now i can only play soccer when i go to camp or in PE, which i dont have because im on swim team. and i play bball about twice every week.

ReputationRep:
    if you're wondering why we're the best team in the land, here's an indication
    btw, this is before a ball has even been kicked
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    henry without doubt is the best striker in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    i'm just back from the game. After 4 minutes, it looked like it was going to be a rout, we were totally dominating and charlton were doing absolutely nothing. We should have gone in at half time at least 4 clear. But instead, just to make it interesting, we start the second half very slowly, and charlton score from a dodgy freekick (desicion-wise) with their first short on target. From then on the place was as nervous as hell, and we conspired to miss 2 guilt edged opportunites within 5 minutes of them scoring. After that it was a backs-against-the-wall job, just soaking up pressure, only lit up by the fact that news came around that Fulham had equalised. I knew Charlton would get another chance, and they did, a shot came in, Lehmann did the most theatrical dive ever, and it hit the inside of the post, and somehow bounced across the goal. That was the big let off, i think it was either during or just before injury time, and I'm screaming all sort of expletives along with most of the north bank. Still Tel did his "ball in the corner" routine, and finally the whistle went, 3 points, 9 points clear, thank you very much.

As for Joey_Johns argument, it would be ridiculous to have play offs. The league is the standard, you know every game is important, right from the beginning of the season til the end. Its about consistency, not who can win a few games at the end, if you want to have peaks, then peak during cup runs. The league is the league, and every major football league is the same. I don't care about Aussies, and in footballing terms they're nothing.

And the salary cap idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    And the salary cap idea?
    it would have to be a uefa/fifa directive, otherwise the prem would lose too many players, but as an idea i would agree with it

ReputationRep:
    and why united aren't....

ReputationRep:
    it would have to be a uefa/fifa directive, otherwise the prem would lose too many players, but as an idea i would agree with it
    I agree. Word of advice if it ever happens, monitor the amount of payment to the players wifes for two hours of 'secreterial' work a week

One infamous rugby players wife was alledgedly on 100k a year. 100k a year in Rugby terms is Beckhams salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I agree. Word of advice if it ever happens, monitor the amount of payment to the players wifes for two hours of 'secreterial' work a week

One infamous rugby players wife was alledgedly on 100k a year. 100k a year in Rugby terms is Beckhams salary.
    yeh thats the problem, there can be too many secret payments, such as houses etc. it would be very hard to implement, so probably will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    Also, as for the aussies, in the next 20-30 years they will become a major player in the sport. Its rapidly becoming more popular in Aus, and we all know when they do something, they are usually the best.

ReputationRep:
    yeh thats the problem, there can be too many secret payments, such as houses etc. it would be very hard to implement, so probably will never happen.
    I disagree. It was clamped down on in rugby, so it can be clamped down on in football!!

I dont think it will happen either though, football clubs are too greedy.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.