Watch
This discussion is closed.
mollie-
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,
So I bought my new car three days ago. I paid for my insurance yesterday which starts today, everything's perfect BUT when I try to apply for the road tax disc this shows up:

"Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for a tax disc or declare SORN using this service.
You will need to apply for the tax disc or declare SORN at a licence-issuing Post Office® or DVLA Local Office (as applicable for the vehicle) using the reminder (Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration) or the Registration Document/Certificate together with the Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, MOT Test Certificate/GVT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee."

I am so very frustrated because obviously it is my first car and I have a day off today so I was really excited about driving. Why can't I tax my car? I also can't phone them because it's sunday today. Please help I WANNA DRIVE!!!
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you don’t tax or SORN your vehicle

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a computer check each month, as well as roadside checks to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. You could face an automatic penalty of £80 as well as a minimum fine of £1000. Your vehicle could be clamped, impounded or even crushed.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring...le/dg_10021514

Looks like today will be spent cleaning it !!
mollie-
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ROG.)
If you don’t tax or SORN your vehicle

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a computer check each month, as well as roadside checks to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. You could face an automatic penalty of £80 as well as a minimum fine of £1000. Your vehicle could be clamped, impounded or even crushed.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring...le/dg_10021514

Looks like today will be spent cleaning it !!
Hey thanks for the answer,
Though my car IS insured and I do WANT to tax it, their website won't let me though... So I can be punished for not doing something I am willing to do but not allowed? Niceeeeeee... Makes sense!
Hectristic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mollie-)
Hey thanks for the answer,
Though my car IS insured and I do WANT to tax it, their website won't let me though... So I can be punished for not doing something I am willing to do but not allowed? Niceeeeeee... Makes sense!
You can do it at a Post Office, just wait until tomorrow and do it then. Remember that you have no god given right to drive a car and you have to play by their rules.
GarlicPickles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Meh, just gonna have to suck it up and wait. It's not even a full day! Calm down!
M4LLY
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mollie-)
Hey,
So I bought my new car three days ago. I paid for my insurance yesterday which starts today, everything's perfect BUT when I try to apply for the road tax disc this shows up:

"Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for a tax disc or declare SORN using this service.
You will need to apply for the tax disc or declare SORN at a licence-issuing Post Office® or DVLA Local Office (as applicable for the vehicle) using the reminder (Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration) or the Registration Document/Certificate together with the Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, MOT Test Certificate/GVT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee."

I am so very frustrated because obviously it is my first car and I have a day off today so I was really excited about driving. Why can't I tax my car? I also can't phone them because it's sunday today. Please help I WANNA DRIVE!!!
Just go down to the post office tomorrow and do it. I always prefer to do things like this in person
marcopolo1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I presume your name isnt down on DVLA records as the keeper yet (if you have just bought the car) and hence the reason you cant buy the road tax online.

if you need to change the class of tax on the V5 (for example, previous owner didnt have to pay road tax as they were disabled)then you can only tax it at DVLA offices).
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcopolo1)
I presume your name isnt down on DVLA records as the keeper yet (if you have just bought the car) and hence the reason you cant buy the road tax online.

if you need to change the class of tax on the V5 (for example, previous owner didnt have to pay road tax as they were disabled)then you can only tax it at DVLA offices).
So that will just be Swansea when they close all the other offices then......
marcopolo1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ROG.)
So that will just be Swansea when they close all the other offices then......
I guess they will have to change something.
TheWalkinDude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm pretty sure that because you've just bought it (change in the cars records) that you have to go into a Post Office and tax it in person with your insurance and MOT documents
fruit_n_veg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The online taxing won't work as you're not yet listed as the registered keeper by DVLA and your insurance policy hasn't found its way to the Motor Insurers Database. Unfortunately it's a trip to the post office, although I'm pretty sure not every (but still a large majority) post office offers vehicle taxing, so I'd check first!
jenifferhomes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It may take around 7 days for the Motor Insurance Database to update. You can carry your copy of certificate as a proof of your insurance during that time. If you want to tax your car within these 7 days you can take your Certificate of Motor Insurance into the Post Office. If you have any other doubt you can contact Central insurance customer service here.
BrownEyedGirl92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jenifferhomes)
It may take around 7 days for the Motor Insurance Database to update. You can carry your copy of certificate as a proof of your insurance during that time. If you want to tax your car within these 7 days you can take your Certificate of Motor Insurance into the Post Office. If you have any other doubt you can contact Central insurance customer service here.
Cool, why are you posting in a thread that hasn't been touched since 2012 to say this?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads