?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Helloo! Anyone out there planning to apply for a scholarship to UWC? 0.0
kristinaigcse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey! I have applied for this year and got in UWC of the Adriatic in Italy. If you have any questions on interviews, essays or anything that you need, just ask
lemmethinkaboutit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
(Original post by kristinaigcse)
Hey! I have applied for this year and got in UWC of the Adriatic in Italy. If you have any questions on interviews, essays or anything that you need, just ask

Cool! Congrats!
I'm from Singapore and I want to apply for a scholarship, but they haven't released the 2012 scholarship application form yet. I even emailed the committee over here last week but haven't got back any reply. I've started writing my personal essay though, because I realised the question has been the same for the past few years.
Would you give any suggestions as to how I should write it? What points do they look out for most in the essay? ^^
kristinaigcse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lemmethinkaboutit)
Cool! Congrats!
I'm from Singapore and I want to apply for a scholarship, but they haven't released the 2012 scholarship application form yet. I even emailed the committee over here last week but haven't got back any reply. I've started writing my personal essay though, because I realised the question has been the same for the past few years.
Would you give any suggestions as to how I should write it? What points do they look out for most in the essay? ^^
Thank you I have noticed that every committee has its own topic essays and interview questions (I'm from Serbia, but I have friends from other countries that applied too) but if you'd like i could send you my application on your e-mail so you could see how it looks like... BTW which college are you most intrerested into?
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
(Original post by kristinaigcse)
Thank you I have noticed that every committee has its own topic essays and interview questions (I'm from Serbia, but I have friends from other countries that applied too) but if you'd like i could send you my application on your e-mail so you could see how it looks like... BTW which college are you most intrerested into?
Oooh, ok. Cool! That'd be really awesome! Haha, I'd love to see it. It could help me out with the applications here.

I'm really interested in the UWC Red Cross Nordic in Norway. I want to do medicine or something which deals with biology lol, so it seems like a nice place to go to since its sortta connected with the Red Cross. :P
If not there then I'd like to go to UWC Adraitic (That's where you are right?) because it seems really nice too.
mariaellie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i really want to apply for a UWC school- do you have to do loads of extra-curricular activities to get in?
hedwig8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
oh I'd love to be accepted into practically any of the UWC schools!! has anyone got a scholarship? And yea I'd also really like to know what sorts of things they ask you to write for the personal essay/application form.
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
I just got an email from UWC telling me that applications for UWC - Red Cross Nordic and USA have opened for Singapore applicants.
The eassay part seems the hardest to craft out. Here is the essay I'm supposed to write:

In your essay, describe briefly:
 Who or what, in particular, has influenced you and made you who you are today?
 Tell us about a particularly painful, or embarrassing, failure or experience in your life, and how that has
shaped you as a result
 Why do you want to go to a UWC?
 Why should we select YOU? Would you select yourself? How would your best friend describe you? How
would a stranger/acquaintance describe you? How would an elder figure in your life describe you?
 What are your plans for the future? How does a UWC education figure into that?

Any tips as to how to go about crafting the best possible essay?
Oh, and I'm restricted to two sides of an A4 paper. Can't write anything more than that.
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
(Original post by hedwig8)
oh I'd love to be accepted into practically any of the UWC schools!! has anyone got a scholarship? And yea I'd also really like to know what sorts of things they ask you to write for the personal essay/application form.
Oh, hahaha, I just posted what is required by the Singapore committee in the personal essay. ^^
helios02
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just got an email from UWC telling me that applications for UWC - Red Cross Nordic and USA have opened for Singapore applicants.
The eassay part seems the hardest to craft out. Here is the essay I'm supposed to write:

In your essay, describe briefly:
 Who or what, in particular, has influenced you and made you who you are today?
 Tell us about a particularly painful, or embarrassing, failure or experience in your life, and how that has
shaped you as a result
 Why do you want to go to a UWC?
 Why should we select YOU? Would you select yourself? How would your best friend describe you? How
would a stranger/acquaintance describe you? How would an elder figure in your life describe you?
 What are your plans for the future? How does a UWC education figure into that?

Any tips as to how to go about crafting the best possible essay?
Oh, and I'm restricted to two sides of an A4 paper. Can't write anything more than that.

Hey (: I'm planning on applying for the UWC scholarship from Singapore too haha. Which of your grades are you submitting? Your O level Mocks results?

Thanks
kristinaigcse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey it's me from adriatic again... Answer to your question: yeah you need loads of extracurricular... As i saw on the group interview there were many people academicly stronger then me ( something like 12A predicted igcse) but i still got in because of my extra curriculars... Also your personality and opinions matter.. just try UWC is worth it!
Perfect Proposal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm a current final-year student at Pearson UWC (Canada). I'd be more than willing to answer any questions you may have/provide advice on the application process.
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
(Original post by helios02)
Hey (: I'm planning on applying for the UWC scholarship from Singapore too haha. Which of your grades are you submitting? Your O level Mocks results?

Thanks
Yeah, my Prelims haven't even started properly yet, so after they're over I'll be sending them my results.
Have you started on your personal essay yet?

Which CCA are you in? I'm in choir.
helios02
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, my Prelims haven't even started properly yet, so after they're over I'll be sending them my results.
Have you started on your personal essay yet?

Which CCA are you in? I'm in choir.
Ohh, mine just ended HAHA. Do we have to follow up with our 'actual' results next year? (: Haha vaguely. Bits here and there. You? Haha I'm in MUN, Swimming, Squash, Fencing and Floor ball. (Way too many :\)
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
Ohh, mine just ended HAHA. Do we have to follow up with our 'actual' results next year? (: Haha vaguely. Bits here and there. You? Haha I'm in MUN, Swimming, Squash, Fencing and Floor ball. (Way too many :\)
Oooh, how did they go? Yeah, I think so. I think they have a more equal gauge of our academics through our O's.
Same case, I've roughly written a draft but its nowhere near complete. Anyone else from your school trying for the scholarship?
Wow! Hahaha, that is a lot! I'be had other cca's too, but choir is my core.

This is posted from my awesome android
helios02
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oooh, how did they go? Yeah, I think so. I think they have a more equal gauge of our academics through our O's.
Same case, I've roughly written a draft but its nowhere near complete. Anyone else from your school trying for the scholarship?
Wow! Hahaha, that is a lot! I'be had other cca's too, but choir is my core.

Haha pretty decent I guess (: But I don't do O's, I take IGCSE's, hence the 'international'. Ohh good (: I think academics aren't the discriminant though, they are just like, a requirement. EC's matter much more, it would seem. And personality! haha. Oh, I see. Well I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I'll take some time to do it. Well, a couple of people, but no one as dead-set on it as I am. What about you? (:

Yeah haha it is. Oh, nice! What other stuff do you do (:
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
Haha pretty decent I guess (: But I don't do O's, I take IGCSE's, hence the 'international'. Ohh good (: I think academics aren't the discriminant though, they are just like, a requirement. EC's matter much more, it would seem. And personality! haha. Oh, I see. Well I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I'll take some time to do it. Well, a couple of people, but no one as dead-set on it as I am. What about you? (:

Yeah haha it is. Oh, nice! What other stuff do you do (:
Oh right! Hahaha, I really wanna go too! I've wanted to go since later year when I found out about it. I'm as dead-set about it as you are! ^^ Oh, ok. There should be quite a number of people from other schools too.

Definitely EC's will be looked into more. Hahaha, well, lets hope they like our personality! XP
How many places are there? I hope at least 2!

I was in journalism, infocomm, badminton. Haha, have u held any leadership positions in school?

helios02
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh right! Hahaha, I really wanna go too! I've wanted to go since later year when I found out about it. I'm as dead-set about it as you are! ^^ Oh, ok. There should be quite a number of people from other schools too.

Definitely EC's will be looked into more. Hahaha, well, lets hope they like our personality! XP
How many places are there? I hope at least 2!

I was in journalism, infocomm, badminton. Haha, have u held any leadership positions in school?

Yup same! Hahaha it's so exciting. Do you know any other people applying for it?

Yeah haha hopefully they will Yeah definitely more than one, maybe 2-3? Haha I'm not sure. It was about that last year. Ohh naice (: Yup I have! Student Council, MUN President and a few other ones. What about you? (:
lemmethinkaboutit
Rep:
?
Yup same! Hahaha it's so exciting. Do you know any other people applying for it?

Yeah haha hopefully they will Yeah definitely more than one, maybe 2-3? Haha I'm not sure. It was about that last year. Ohh naice (: Yup I have! Student Council, MUN President and a few other ones. What about you? (:
Nope, you're the first other person I know applying for it. Oh, that's good, hahaha, there is a higher chance of getting in then. (:

Yeah, I was in the exco of the prefectorial board and my cca.

mariaellie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
are you guys applying through the british comitee?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (27)
21.26%
Labour (63)
49.61%
Liberal Democrats (15)
11.81%
Green Party (9)
7.09%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
3.15%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.57%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)