The Student Room Group

DT Resistant Materials - Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dandaman9999
Colouring pencils are a must for the development of a design question! You get marks for your drawing skills which includes colouring :smile: For the 5 designs question I would recommend to colour the designs since it helps the examiner to view the 3D aspect of your drawings as you would shade the colours, etc. However, do the colouring of this question at the end IF YOU HAVE TIME because it is not mandatory but will make the examiner happier to mark your work (and psychologically want to give you a higher mark!) :biggrin:

Ah ok cheers for the help! And one other question, what sort of designs would you incorporate into your drawings to make them look like Mackintosh designs, because I've beenn trying to draw flowers and stuff but failing badly...:s-smilie:
Original post by Mehroze1
Ah ok cheers for the help! And one other question, what sort of designs would you incorporate into your drawings to make them look like Mackintosh designs, because I've beenn trying to draw flowers and stuff but failing badly...:s-smilie:

All I'm going to draw is some flowers on my designs as well as some small boxes and ladders (Mackintosh did this on his furniture)... I don't think there's anything else to it!
Could someone tell me what technology push and market pull is. Nothing about it I the revision guides... Cameup in2010
Original post by hassantahir
Could someone tell me what technology push and market pull is. Nothing about it I the revision guides... Cameup in2010

I'd never heard of it before this but did a quick search and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_push

Seems like a sound meaning to me... Please tell me if we need to know more about it!
Reply 64
I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to write a rough guide of what each question will entail and what needs to be done (For them). I am very confused over the format of the test and what I have to draw and can't seem to find any help online.

Thanks in advance
Original post by hassantahir

Technology push is where new technology has an influence on the development of products. An example is the phone, where the technology keeps updating and new features are being made due to better technology.

Market pull is where the society influnces product development. An example is the Hybrid car, where the society's want for a more sustainable car influenced the develpoment of this hybrid car which uses half petol and half electric motor.:cool:
Original post by Dandaman9999
I'd never heard of it before this but did a quick search and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_push

Seems like a sound meaning to me... Please tell me if we need to know more about it!

Im sure that it is quite important to know this, and is in the specification :smile: read my answer above for more detail :wink:
Original post by CWE
I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to write a rough guide of what each question will entail and what needs to be done (For them). I am very confused over the format of the test and what I have to draw and can't seem to find any help online.

Thanks in advance

Well the correct layout varies from year to year but there are some trends which stay the same:

First question, you get a design brief based on the preliminary material you got in march. you must then create a specification for the product like, it must be durable. you must come up with 3.

Next you must use the design brief and you spec to create 5 designs of possible products and each could get upto 3 marks (a total of 15).

the you must go into detail with one of the designs and draw it bigger, make notes for it, materials and sizes.

Next you must say how what you did in question 3 is similar to you design spec.

Now section B. It is not in any particular structure but generally, these questions tend to come up.

Commonly 3 tools will be shown and you must state their name and purpose.

Then it can be about marking, where you must list the 5 step process of building a specified product from a chosen material from a list. it is worth 16 marks!!!

Then it can be about materials, where 2 - 4 products are shown and you must list their material made from and why it is made from it. It may also ask for where the material is sourced (e.g. wood is sourced from trees or forests).

After that it gets harder to estimate, but a question on the following may come up:

Sustainablility, market push and technology pull. the 6r's.

Your welcome :smile:
I can't find my preliminary information sheet and am panicking so bad!! Please can someone explain briefly what it says on it ??? Would be so damn grateful! :biggrin:
Original post by Dazzle-me-blind
I can't find my preliminary information sheet and am panicking so bad!! Please can someone explain briefly what it says on it ??? Would be so damn grateful! :biggrin:

the storage of small items and the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh :smile:
I am freeaakkiinngggg out :frown:
Are we supposed to get a preliminary sheet? Lol, our teacher just told us how to prepare.
Reply 72
Original post by CWE

Thanks in advance

I'm sure many people are in the same situation as you and I was aswell, we were never really taught about exam technique or format of the exam throughout the year as we had the coursework to focus on!! Anyways the best tip I can give u is to look at past papers as they all have similar format and structure. I'll write what I know to help:

Section A of the paper: (Charles Rennie Mackintosh and small storage units)
It is likely there will be questions on: specification (creating 3 or 4 points and justifying them in regards to what your storage unit designs should be like)

Initial Ideas (creating 5 initial drawings for the storage units, where the quality of drawing, suitability of drawing and creativity will be assessed)

Design Development (picking one of your designs you made, develop it, showing the materials, how to make it etc

Evaluation (evaluating ur desgin against your original specification points to see how good and successful the product is)

Section B: (this is where any random DT questions could come up about everything you have learnt this past year or so)
likely topics:materials, uses and properties of these materials
sustainability
safety in the workshop
tools and uses
processes e.g casting and laminating

there is a final essay type question which is usually on sustainability and I think is 6 marks!!

Good luck in the exam, and don't worry most of it is usually common sense anyways!!
Original post by Tanvir.A
Are we supposed to get a preliminary sheet? Lol, our teacher just told us how to prepare.

What kind of things did he say because my teacher barely told us anything! :mad:
Original post by nivvy21
the storage of small items and the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh :smile:

Ok, thanks!
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Im sure that it is quite important to know this, and is in the specification :smile: read my answer above for more detail :wink:

Oh ok,thanks for the explanation! Our teacher never said anything about this!!
Reply 76
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Well the correct layout varies from year to year but there are some trends which stay the same:

First question, you get a design brief based on the preliminary material you got in march. you must then create a specification for the product like, it must be durable. you must come up with 3.

Next you must use the design brief and you spec to create 5 designs of possible products and each could get upto 3 marks (a total of 15).

the you must go into detail with one of the designs and draw it bigger, make notes for it, materials and sizes.

Next you must say how what you did in question 3 is similar to you design spec.

Now section B. It is not in any particular structure but generally, these questions tend to come up.

Commonly 3 tools will be shown and you must state their name and purpose.

Then it can be about marking, where you must list the 5 step process of building a specified product from a chosen material from a list. it is worth 16 marks!!!

Then it can be about materials, where 2 - 4 products are shown and you must list their material made from and why it is made from it. It may also ask for where the material is sourced (e.g. wood is sourced from trees or forests).

After that it gets harder to estimate, but a question on the following may come up:

Sustainablility, market push and technology pull. the 6r's.

Much appreciated :biggrin: - I have a few little questions about specifics if you don't mind answering them.

- Do you have to do notes for the intital 5 designs, or only for the one you choose to elaborate on?
- Do you have to give information for the construction on the design you pick out of the five (eg. It will be made using a lase cutter or whatever)
- What kind of things are said about the construction in the question where you have to made an object out of one of the set materials

Thanks!
KD fittings havent come up before, have they? so, that might come up, i guess
Original post by nivvy21
KD fittings havent come up before, have they? so, that might come up, i guess

What are they???? :confused: :eek:
Original post by CWE
Much appreciated :biggrin: - I have a few little questions about specifics if you don't mind answering them.

- Do you have to do notes for the intital 5 designs, or only for the one you choose to elaborate on?
- Do you have to give information for the construction on the design you pick out of the five (eg. It will be made using a lase cutter or whatever)
- What kind of things are said about the construction in the question where you have to made an object out of one of the set materials

Thanks!

No, you only need to use notes on the elaboration question.
No, you don't need to say how it is made, but make sure to include what it is made from.
construction question - YOu have to list the tools, equipment, or if using computers the list lazer cutters and software. Draw small pictures of the processes at each stage and cutting out and also you must write notes on what to do, e.g. cut the piece of wood in half then sand it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending