Turn on thread page Beta

Screwed Computer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My Computer keeps turning off randomly...anyone know why? Its started Thursday night(I think) when I left my computer on downloading things off KaZaA and when I came home it had turned off. Windows XP..

ReputationRep:
    Do you have kazaa set to shut down computer when downloads are complete? Not sure if it has that option tho :P

XP usually shows a stop error screen or reboots, strange it should turn off. Maybe your power supply is dodgy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    My Computer keeps turning off randomly...anyone know why? Its started Thursday night(I think) when I left my computer on downloading things off KaZaA and when I came home it had turned off. Windows XP..
    Virus?

ReputationRep:
    Mine has been doing that recently. When it goes sleep the screen does not turn back on.

I've just help sort my mums friends computer, it turned out that it had a virus on from cazaa from her son...so there you go.

We had to clear the whole memory, start from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    I had a trojan a while ago, came with something that I downloaded. It just turned my pc off at random times. All I had to do was disable it in the 'startup' menu of msconfig and it solved the problem. Maybe you have something similar..

ReputationRep:
    this smells of remote shutdown commander

ReputationRep:
    My computer kept turning off, except mine was worse than yours. Every month or so since about September, the computer would just turn off and then it wouldn't turn on for about a 2-3 weeks. Then in December after it happened I took it to get fixed and had to have my mother board replaced.

ReputationRep:
    mostly likely a virus as everyone is saying, check for dodgy stuff on ur startup.

However, it could be your CPU overheating. Is your base unit near a radiator or anything hot. If its overheating its most likley it will switch itself off when its working hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    Mine has been doing that recently. When it goes sleep the screen does not turn back on.

I've just help sort my mums friends computer, it turned out that it had a virus on from cazaa from her son...so there you go.

We had to clear the whole memory, start from scratch.
    On my last pc i could never work out how to wake it up from sleep for ages. It turns out you had to press to power button on the front to wake it up. Ur pc is probably set to something silly to start it up again.

Try the power button and all the keys on the keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your desktop, right click somewhere blank (i.e. not an icon) then click properties, then click screensaver, then settings and go to where it says 'turn of hard disks' it may be set to a low time reading, like 2hrs or summit, (so when u left kazaa on it shut off after that time period).

My computer turned off randomly once, turns out it was summit to do with the power supply to the motherboard, you may want to get that checked.

ReputationRep:

do a ctrl alt del, and can you list what is on and maybe i can help

ReputationRep:
    Could be over-heating. Your fans could be clogged with dust and your computer just turns itself off due to the heat. I'll need a bit more information though before coming to that conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    There is a well known virus that kinda shuts down your PC, a count down timer of 2 minuts appears and your computer shuts down. Hence why I choose to run Win 98SE as opposed to crapy XP, as I dont like running Norton Internet Security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    There is a well known virus that kinda shuts down your PC, a count down timer of 2 minuts appears and your computer shuts down. Hence why I choose to run Win 98SE as opposed to crapy XP, as I dont like running Norton Internet Security.
    well i chose to have a mac!

ReputationRep:
    overheating probably, open it up and hoover it out

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.