The Student Room Group

How good is Farnborough Sixth

Hi guys. I'm probably going to go to farnborough sixth, however doing so involves a cycle,train and walk to get there and the same again to get back. The other option however is my secondary schools sixth form (collingwood) its a decent sized sixth form, and pretty good for a schools sixth form, however I don't feel has quite the same standard as farnborough.

I was just looking for opinons on farnborough and what it is actually like to be there??

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I have a friend who left my school last year to go to Farnborough for sixth form (so she's just finished Year 12) and she loves it! She studies Drama, Psychology and two other subjects (which I can't remember - sorry!) and she says the drama department is really good (but then she did come from a school who has a terrible drama department :lol:)

The only negative thing I've really heard from her about Farnborough is that it's massive - my friend feels like she hardly knows anyone apart from the friends she's made in her classes, because there are so many students and it feels slightly more like a university than a school. So it depends on whether you think you'll thrive in an environment like that.

But overall, Farnborough has a pretty good reputation, I've heard they've got good facilities and decent results. I was considering going there this September for sixth form (I'm only in Year 11 atm :tongue:) but it would have involved getting a bus, a train, and then walking there, which my Mum said was a bit OTT so wouldn't let me go there! :lol: But to me, it seemed like a decent place to study and my Mum agreed, we just decided against it because of the travel issues. For me, it wasn't worth it, as I go to a grammar school that is only one bus ride away, so it made sense for me to stay there. You will just need to weigh up the pros and cons of both and decide what you think is best for you. In my opinion, you need to do what feels right, and from your OP I think you're slightly leaning towards Farnborough :tongue:

What subjects are you applying for btw?
Reply 2
I'm going to be doing Maths,Physics,History and Computing as in year 12 then swapping to additional maths as in year 13.

Yeah, you realised I'm siding on farnborough. I'm thinking that the possibly better grades is worth it for the slight travel inconveniece for 2 years. I would be so gutted if I just missed out on a place at a uni like loughborough and wishing I had gone to farnborough.
Original post by lbsf1
I'm going to be doing Maths,Physics,History and Computing as in year 12 then swapping to additional maths as in year 13.

Yeah, you realised I'm siding on farnborough. I'm thinking that the possibly better grades is worth it for the slight travel inconveniece for 2 years. I would be so gutted if I just missed out on a place at a uni like loughborough and wishing I had gone to farnborough.

Yes I see what you mean about the grades thing, and although wherever you go and the quality of teaching there is important, the most vital thing is how you work as a student so you could potentially do just as well at Collingwood (which, admittedly, I know nothing about reputation-wise)

Just go wherever feels right - which seems to be Farnborough. Just make sure that the travel arrangements aren't completely impossible and end up making your commute hell for the next 2 years! Maybe do a trial run in the morning one time soon, and see how you find it? Just an idea :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by lbsf1
Hi guys. I'm probably going to go to farnborough sixth, however doing so involves a cycle,train and walk to get there and the same again to get back. The other option however is my secondary schools sixth form (collingwood) its a decent sized sixth form, and pretty good for a schools sixth form, however I don't feel has quite the same standard as farnborough.

I was just looking for opinons on farnborough and what it is actually like to be there??

Late but Farnborough is awesome! Currently doing maths, further maths, physics and music tech A2s and did AS Geography last year. I got straight As in my AS levels :smile:

Highly recommend it, but some negatives:
In winter the eating places get very crowded.
There are a lot of people so that could be negative for some.
You have to do general studies, but that's not too bad.
Current building work going on was started in like July and is still not finished, and it means the corridors get all blocked and crowded.
We finish at 4.15 which for me was nearly 2 hours later than secondary school.
Some teachers are good, some not so good, but you get that everywhere.
Not quite enough computers in the Dell during frees, though there are always loads in E-Assessment but you have to be silent there.
They introduced lanyards which we now have to wear which are annoying.
I'll probably think of more later.

Positives:
Most people are friendly.
I have never seen bullying anywhere.
Treated more grown up than you would at a school, you can call teachers by first names, no uniform etc.
Extra curricular stuff is good!
Standard of teaching is generally good and it's easy to catch up if you fall behind.
Free periods :biggrin:
Most of the tutors I have met have been genuinely good, helpful, unbiased etc, but I'm quite a good kid so... :wink:
There are people to help with everything, it's so much better than school was for me!
Reply 5
Original post by test_drive
Late but Farnborough is awesome! Currently doing maths, further maths, physics and music tech A2s and did AS Geography last year. I got straight As in my AS levels :smile:

Highly recommend it, but some negatives:
In winter the eating places get very crowded.
There are a lot of people so that could be negative for some.
You have to do general studies, but that's not too bad.
Current building work going on was started in like July and is still not finished, and it means the corridors get all blocked and crowded.
We finish at 4.15 which for me was nearly 2 hours later than secondary school.
Some teachers are good, some not so good, but you get that everywhere.
Not quite enough computers in the Dell during frees, though there are always loads in E-Assessment but you have to be silent there.
They introduced lanyards which we now have to wear which are annoying.
I'll probably think of more later.

Positives:
Most people are friendly.
I have never seen bullying anywhere.
Treated more grown up than you would at a school, you can call teachers by first names, no uniform etc.
Extra curricular stuff is good!
Standard of teaching is generally good and it's easy to catch up if you fall behind.
Free periods :biggrin:
Most of the tutors I have met have been genuinely good, helpful, unbiased etc, but I'm quite a good kid so... :wink:
There are people to help with everything, it's so much better than school was for me!

I'm now at Farnborough and yeah what you say is a pretty fair description. Never found getting a computer too much of an issue though and it is a pain having such a late day. But overall I'm loving it, much better than secondary school all of my teachers are good and actually know what they are talking about.

I have found though that we get much more work then those who did the same subjects at the schools sixth form, but hopefully it will pay off with grades :s-smilie:
Original post by lbsf1

This is really late but I am very local to farnborough sixth and I'm planning to go there next year, I also know collingwood. You are right about one thing farnborough is 100000000 times better so I hope you picked there in the end?

Also, you say about you journey but why don't you get the bus to farnborough there is plenty of buses going from all over Camberley which stop right outside the college?
Reply 7
Original post by Musicology23
This is really late but I am very local to farnborough sixth and I'm planning to go there next year, I also know collingwood. You are right about one thing farnborough is 100000000 times better so I hope you picked there in the end?

Also, you say about you journey but why don't you get the bus to farnborough there is plenty of buses going from all over Camberley which stop right outside the college?

Yep I'm at farnborough now, and it is so much better than the crap hole that collingwood is. And about travel there is no easy way from Lightwater (where I live), my journey of cycling and then a train is definately the easiest way from my house.
Original post by lbsf1

I have found though that we get much more work then those who did the same subjects at the schools sixth form, but hopefully it will pay off with grades :s-smilie:

That's funny, I found it was the opposite.
Reply 9
Original post by such_a_lady
That's funny, I found it was the opposite.

What subjects did you take??
Original post by lbsf1
What subjects did you take??

German, Spanish, English Literature, English Language (not combined, separate), and finished my Maths AS early in Y12.
Reply 11
Original post by such_a_lady
German, Spanish, English Literature, English Language (not combined, separate), and finished my Maths AS early in Y12.

Ah, I'm taking maths, physics, history and computing and for all of them are definately getting far more than my friends at other colleges.
Reply 12
it doesn't matter what sixth form you go to unless it's eton or something. The rest will just be seen as normal sixth forms by Universities.

edit: I guess it does make a difference with regards to the atmosphere. If your sixth form is full of people who don't care about there education and discipline is non-existent then you probably won't do as well as you should. My previous point was more to do with how uni's see the sixth form you went to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lbsf1

If you live in Lightwater, Godalming may be a better option. I went there and personally I rate it higher than Farnborough. It achieves fantastic results and has a very very nice campus.

http://www.godalming.ac.uk/

Oh, OP is already at Farnborough. They're both good colleges, just I knew a few girls who lived in lightwater and came to Godalming
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I'M ALREADY AT FARNBOROUGH

Sorry, just thought I would make that clear. If people have general views on farnborough sixth then keep posting them here as they would be really useful for other people who are looking at going to the sixth form, however I'm already there and loving it. As levels are bloody stressful though :wink:

One small thing about farnborough, it has a lovely campus and all however as soon as one building site is about to end they just start building on another bit. I know it improves the campus however it means some parts are always disrupted and thus kinda contradicts the campus looking lovely.
(edited 11 years ago)
The building work will be done by September they said....5 months later after flooding the main building twice it's still not done!

But tbh the new building work is more indoor seating space which is definitely needed!
Hi, I'm a bit late to this conversation, but is everyone enjoying farnborough 6th?? I'm in the middle of choosing where to do my a levels :s-smilie: and any opinions on farnborough 6th, Alton or queen Mary's would be welcome.

To those who do maths/further maths at farnborough, are the teachers good?? Because I'm considering those subjects, plus biology chemistry and physics :biggrin:

Thank you!
I'm just gonna say, you can have the best teachers in the world, but it all comes down to how hard you work, I've seen people go to great schools and do terrible, and others go to rundown public schools and do amazing, so by all means go to a good sixth form, but remember its all down to how hard you work, not others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
holy guacamole you live close to me

get yourself to henley college instead. much better in every way/shape/form

i'll even give you a ride there and back :tongue:
Reply 19
I had many friends who went off to Farnborough and ended up not enjoying it as much as Collingwood, henceforth returning after AS. But as Cake_lover said, so much is down to how much work you put in. I myself did go to collingwood and cannot complain much about the standard of teaching i received. Got where I wanted to be in the end (Uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending