Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Favourite folk artist/band? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Mine would have to be Laura Marling and she was fantastic live! :lovedup: How about you guys?

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan ftw!!! EDIT: Jake Bugg is quite good too! "Country song"

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Flynn, but Laura Marling is fantastic too.

ReputationRep:
    Bob. And... Simon & Garfunkel

(Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    Johnny Flynn
    The Wrote & The Writ must be the most beautiful song ever written.

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan :love:

ReputationRep:
    Josh Ritter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)
    Bob. And... Simon & Garfunkel

The Wrote & The Writ must be the most beautiful song ever written.
    By quite a stretch... I'm glad I'm not alone in my admiration of it!

ReputationRep:
    I also really like Noah and the Whale's early stuff from Peaceful the World Lays Me Down but they've gone sort of rock-pop, I mean it's alright relatively catchy but i wish they went back to folk!

ReputationRep:
    I'm partial to a bit of John Martyn. RIP

Edit: Beck's album One Foot In The Grave is also very good, I recommend you listen to Woe is Me or Cyanide Breath Mint as a start.

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Flynn, but Laura Marling is fantastic too.
    What's your favourite song by Laura?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    Bob Dylan ftw!!! EDIT: Jake Bugg is quite good too! "Country song"
    YES! I love "Country Song" and "Lightening Bolt", plus he's from Nottingham just like me haha! I saw him at the Dot to Dot festival a few weeks back, he was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmyLauren)
    What's your favourite song by Laura?
    That's a bloody hard question. At the moment, I'm taken by Goodbye England (Covered In Snow). You?

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan, Fairport Convention, Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Van Morrison and Vashti Bunyan

ReputationRep:
    YES! I love "Country Song" and "Lightening Bolt", plus he's from Nottingham just like me haha! I saw him at the Dot to Dot festival a few weeks back, he was brilliant.
    Am I right in thinking that Jake Bugg is like 16/17? What a talent he will be...

ReputationRep:
    That's a bloody hard question. At the moment, I'm taken by Goodbye England (Covered In Snow). You?
    Good choice! Like you, i'm guessing, mine changes a lot but at the moment it's The Beast. So dark, i love it!

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that Jake Bugg is like 16/17? What a talent he will be...
    I think so, definitely around that age...maybe 18? His popularity is rising and fast, not surprised to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Good choice! Like you, i'm guessing, mine changes a lot but at the moment it's The Beast. So dark, i love it!
    Yeah, in fairness, I couldn't absolutely decide on any particular song.

I'm just taken by the lyric "But a friend of mine said it's good to hear that you believe in love even when said in fear".

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving Keaton Henson atm but there are too many good artists to name!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in fairness, I couldn't absolutely decide on any particular song.

I'm just taken by the lyric "But a friend of mine said it's good to hear that you believe in love even when said in fear".
    Ah, so good! I really like Your Only Doll (Dora) from Alas, I Cannot Swim. Have you heard the story behind the lyric "There's a boy across the river with short black curly hair"? It's quite amusing!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so good! I really like Your Only Doll (Dora) from Alas, I Cannot Swim. Have you heard the story behind the lyric "There's a boy across the river with short black curly hair"? It's quite amusing!
    No, I haven't. Do tell!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 21, 2013
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.