Difference in driving a petrol car from diesel?

Watch
JustDisturbia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Title says it all..Ive been learning in a diesel,but people say driving a petrol car is different..how is it different?
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Assuming you've been taught how to use an accelerator properly and to move off properly under control, then there will be hardly any difference. You will not be able to move away with the biting point fighting against the footbrake, less so on an uphill gradient.

You may notice a different power response across the rev range, with lower torque at lower revs. There will be no need to pre-heat the diesel with the ignition on before starting the emgine and you can push your luck more with the fuel gauge approaching empty. Petrol engines tend to respond a little quicker and are somewhat quieter. They run hotter and when measured over thousands of miles on older cars, don't seem to last as long as diesel engines.
Darkarium
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I learnt in a diesel and it was a lot easier to not stall but it felt sluggish and I didn't like how the low rumbling engine noise makes it more difficult to hear what the engines doing, makes it feel unresponsive whereas in a petrol you can hear an immeadiate response to pressing the accelerator.
Converse Rocker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Diesel cars are harder to stall, in my instructor's car (a diesel) I can find the bite and nothing else happens. If tried that in my parent's petrol car, it would most likely stall. You need higher revs when starting a petrol or it stalls.

Diesel I found to be more forgiving, but it really doesn't matter which you learn in
Veni Vidi Fugi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You probably won't be able to get away with starting in second or third gear in your petrol. My instructor's car (the corsa diesel) was pretty good for torque, but my 1.0 corsa, erm, isn't. You've just got to learn where the bite is, and listen to what the engine is doing.
Robertall
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have owned a diesel and petrol car. I think it is preference.

I prefer petrol for the sound, and prefer diesel for the extra 15mpg compared to the same petrol equivalent.
skiies
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's not really much difference. In a diesel, you don't need to add much gas to move off, whereas in a petrol, you have to. I prefer diesel because it lasts a lot longer and it is worth spending a little bit more.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my instructors diesel car it's easy to get the biting point without stalling or revving lots. In my dads petrol car I often over rev the engine so I don't stall when moving off.

Not sure if that is because of the fuel or because of the electronic throttle control in my dads car though.
FarhannahMontana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My instructors car is a diesel, as a lot of the people have stated above it's harder to stall compared to a petrol which needs more revs while moving off. For learning how to drive diesels are easier however the first time you drive a petrol car after that you'll see the difference. It's a lot easier to stall, however diesels can be noisy while I find petrols are quicker and more refined
randomgeeza
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
I passed in a Diesel and haven't really driven since then (about a year), I'd say Diesel is clearly easier. Especially when you're learning....because at first learning how to be adept at clutch control is pretty much the hardest thing, it affects all aspects of your driving. With a diesel, I could 'cheat' a bit by purely relying on the clutch when moving off, in traffic/moving slowly. It is definitely easier and personally I'd recommend anyone who is learning to drive to learn in a diesel simply because it is easier to control as a beginner. I have had two instructors, my first instructor had a Clio and I took two lessons with him...I could barely go around the block in his car. My third lesson, I had a lesson with my friends instructor who had a Yaris 1.3/4 Diesel and I was driving in fourth gear in my first lesson. It felt SO much easier to drive. The only way you can really stall is if you raise the clutch up TOO quickly or if you're in the wrong gear quite blatantly.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As soon as I passed (in a diesel, Citroen DS3), I used my Dad's petrol car and it took me a while to adjust to putting more gas than I needed to with the diesel when setting off. With diesels you don't need much gas when setting off (maybe it was because of the big difference between the cars?)

Citroen DS3 and a Honda Civic (2000 reg)
Llandudnoboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is very little difference in driving a petrol or diesel vehicle, apart from the power curve being much lower down the rev range in a diesel car making the over all driving experience more relaxing, especially in town traffic.
You can rev a petrol car to way beyond 6-7000rev, but its virtually impossibly to rev a diesel beyond 5000.
The main reason many driving instructors favour a diesel car over a petrol, is its superior fuel economy.
Remember a driving instructor is on the road for quite a few hours, and diesel returns better fuel economy.
Learning to drive in either a diesel or petrol car has little to do in the way they behave, its down to economy and the amount of fuel the instructor uses during the week, which over the months and years can be considerable.
I suppose that the pulling power of the engine happening in the lower rev range, makes driving the diesel car more relaxing and in certain respects easier, but then you have to use the gears more often which then comes down to foot control with the clutch and gearbox, and in that respect both petrol and diesel are the same.
Get the so called kangaroo driving wrong in either car and it will stall.
DenverDenver25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tell me this please. What is the BIG DIFFERENCE with moving off using gas first, and the clutch biting point than Clutch biting point first, then gas slowly? I had been to many driving schools, but they taught me different methods, which now is confusing. During my lessons I drove my instructor diesel car, and now I'd been driving petrol and I am used to it, which I need to put more gas. Its like I'm used by the feel of it lift up clutch and push down gas at the same time for petrol. So why do I need to use the technique using gas first, then clutch biting point on my petrol car? When I can do it the same time together? Clutch up and gas together hang on to it. Which I don't understand and confusing me now. Help me out. Thanks
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DenverDenver25)
Tell me this please. What is the BIG DIFFERENCE with moving off using gas first, and the clutch biting point than Clutch biting point first, then gas slowly? I had been to many driving schools, but they taught me different methods, which now is confusing. During my lessons I drove my instructor diesel car, and now I'd been driving petrol and I am used to it, which I need to put more gas. Its like I'm used by the feel of it lift up clutch and push down gas at the same time for petrol. So why do I need to use the technique using gas first, then clutch biting point on my petrol car? When I can do it the same time together? Clutch up and gas together hang on to it. Which I don't understand and confusing me now. Help me out. Thanks
I believe the difference is largely personal preference in all honesty.

One thing that does come to mind, since this is largely an instructor thing by the sounds of it, is that gas then clutch simply reduces the chance of you stalling because you're putting that extra power through. Why for petrols specifically? Diesel engines produce more torque at lower RPMs IIRC this is down to the combustion method used (compression as opposed to Spark ignition) and the heavier components used in diesel engines which gives them more inertia and thus produces more torque. This makes diesels very forgiving with a manual transmission, they can handle more stress at idle RPMs before stalling. For example, I was slowing down from 30 in my instructor's car, braking normally and forgot to put the clutch pedal in, it just stalled there and then. In my own car I had come from a 60 MPH road to a 30 MPH road and left it in 5th gear. Went to slow down at the lights (again braking normally), car drops to idle RPMs and then starts pulling against the brakes. Another time I set off in 3rd, built up a bit of speed and came off the clutch as I normally would, the car surged forward. A petrol would just flat out stall (larger ones might cope, but small ones wouldn't have any of it). That's the kind of differences we're talking about here.

In short, gas before clutch probably just makes it easier to teach people how to drive.
DenverDenver25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, it's okay I failed my driving test today. Although, I worked on that, "gas first then biting point techniques" I have no issues during my test for that matter.
The reasons why I failed because my examiner gave me grade 3 faults which are 3 altogether. First was he said, I am coasting he caught me coasting ONCE going around the corner after changing my gears, second was the JUNCTION with traffic lights associated with a little junction box before turning to a major road, issue here was, i was turning right from a traffic lights, left road was clear, and in my right hand side road there was a 2019 for fiesta who indicated to the left by far, and suddenly changed his/her mind and knocked off his indicator, and completely stopped in the side of the road, what I did I moved off slowly as the fiesta was far from me, and there's 3 cars behind me waiting for to finish my righ turn. Suddenly, after finishing my right turn this fiesta moved off so quickly, I didn't hit him nor he didn't hit me we were so far to each other, but the examiner failed me to it because he said I should have waited for that fiesta car until they finally decided to go. Which is unfair really to failed me. Third, was zebra crossing, yield sign on the left for the right oncoming traffic, as by law, you have to yield on the right so I did, and never stepped on the zebra crossing unless u find a gap from the car at the front, and I followed the rules of the road. But still he failed me because he's reason was I didn't gave enough distance, which I argued to it and I said to the examiner, "I didn't step on the zebra crossing, with yield sign for oncoming traffic on the right, I even stopped fully to give way, and I didn't move off until the car in front me moved so I would have enough space to cross the zebra crossing without stepping on it nor stopping on it. Still he failed me cos it wasn't enough distance for him. All grade 3 faults and 8 minors, mostly he said I go too fast a 10 miles per hour and on 3rd gear in a busy town, and failing me minor mistakes for too much observation, and lack of observations for moving off. I asked him, "which is which?" It is my 2nd time attempt today after 3 years, and now I feel like I'm a total dumbass for failing again. I am hopeless now to the point of giving up this whole driving thing. The examiner told me, I am natural born driver and I just need more lessons to work on my minor mistakes that failed me big time, yet if it is only minor mistakes why he gave me grade 3 faults to failed me big time too? Which I don't understand. Help me out? Am I dumb as ****!? Thanks
Curiel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DenverDenver25)
Hi, it's okay I failed my driving test today. Although, I worked on that, "gas first then biting point techniques" I have no issues during my test for that matter.
The reasons why I failed because my examiner gave me grade 3 faults which are 3 altogether. First was he said, I am coasting he caught me coasting ONCE going around the corner after changing my gears, second was the JUNCTION with traffic lights associated with a little junction box before turning to a major road, issue here was, i was turning right from a traffic lights, left road was clear, and in my right hand side road there was a 2019 for fiesta who indicated to the left by far, and suddenly changed his/her mind and knocked off his indicator, and completely stopped in the side of the road, what I did I moved off slowly as the fiesta was far from me, and there's 3 cars behind me waiting for to finish my righ turn. Suddenly, after finishing my right turn this fiesta moved off so quickly, I didn't hit him nor he didn't hit me we were so far to each other, but the examiner failed me to it because he said I should have waited for that fiesta car until they finally decided to go. Which is unfair really to failed me. Third, was zebra crossing, yield sign on the left for the right oncoming traffic, as by law, you have to yield on the right so I did, and never stepped on the zebra crossing unless u find a gap from the car at the front, and I followed the rules of the road. But still he failed me because he's reason was I didn't gave enough distance, which I argued to it and I said to the examiner, "I didn't step on the zebra crossing, with yield sign for oncoming traffic on the right, I even stopped fully to give way, and I didn't move off until the car in front me moved so I would have enough space to cross the zebra crossing without stepping on it nor stopping on it. Still he failed me cos it wasn't enough distance for him. All grade 3 faults and 8 minors, mostly he said I go too fast a 10 miles per hour and on 3rd gear in a busy town, and failing me minor mistakes for too much observation, and lack of observations for moving off. I asked him, "which is which?" It is my 2nd time attempt today after 3 years, and now I feel like I'm a total dumbass for failing again. I am hopeless now to the point of giving up this whole driving thing. The examiner told me, I am natural born driver and I just need more lessons to work on my minor mistakes that failed me big time, yet if it is only minor mistakes why he gave me grade 3 faults to failed me big time too? Which I don't understand. Help me out? Am I dumb as ****!? Thanks
well sue him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.13%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.51%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.85%

Watched Threads