The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Safe areas to live in Swansea?

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking for private rented housing in Swansea for sept 2012 start at Swansea Uni (I've applied for halls but I'd like to see if I can find anywhere decent myself whilst I wait to hear back from accommodation services!). I'd ideally like to live in an area that isn't too far from the uni and most importantly, an area is fairly safe to live in. I have only been to swansea twice in my life so I have absolutely no idea! Any ideas, tips or experiences (good or bad) would be much appreciated.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I didn't go to uni in Swansea but I did live there in student houses while I was doing my A levels. I lived on Walter Road, Henrietta Street and Rhondda street; all in the same area of Swansea and all perfectly safe. They're about 10 minutes from Swansea Met and about 25 minutes (both walking) from Swansea Uni. Brynmill is also a safe area.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Most students live in Brynmill or Uplands. Both seem pretty safe :smile:
Reply 3
I've been looking at a house that's on Hanover street. What's that like as a location? xo
Reply 4
Original post by DexterM
Most students live in Brynmill or Uplands. Both seem pretty safe :smile:

Yep they are very nice areas. The really dodgy bit is Townhill, but there's not much students accommodation around there.

You will see a lot of stuff advertised in Mount Pleasant, (mostly on Norfolk Street). If you're going to Swansea Uni give this a miss, it's too far away (but perfectly situated for Swansea Met's Mount Pleasant campus).
Reply 5
Brynmill or uplands possibly sketty if you are looking for somewhere quieter. My advice is to keep away from agencies such as 'the living room' and 'student digs' and go with the university run agency instead as it is much more reliable.
Don't listen to "The only dodgy bit is Townhill" comment, I have lived in Swansea all my life, I attended Swansea University now I am Studying CIS at Swansea Met - For Swansea University the areas are Brynmill and Uplands while for Swansea Met the areas tend to be Mount Pleasant & City Centre.

Every City has its bad area, Townhill isn't a bad place its a Council area so you do get the odd troublesome people there, Mayhill is far worse than Townhill and it is right next to the University, having lived in plenty areas of Swansea, you will find trouble anywhere you go, in or not in Swansea. But do try to stick around Hanover Street, Norfolk street, places around there are generally Student Houses.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I've just sorted out my accommodation and I'll be living in halls. BUT this will all be very useful to bear in mind for the following year, when I find my own place or even when just wondering around and being wary of my surroundings & keeping safe etc! So thanks once again!
Original post by mogambo
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I've just sorted out my accommodation and I'll be living in halls. BUT this will all be very useful to bear in mind for the following year, when I find my own place or even when just wondering around and being wary of my surroundings & keeping safe etc! So thanks once again!

By the time your second year comes around you will probably decide to move in with people from your course or something, I know some people on mine have done that.

Quick Reply

Latest