The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JChristy
Why would I want an apprenticeship when I'm starting university in less than 3 months?

I want to sign on to get some money while I am looking for work which is what the system is there to do. You can't live for free I'm afraid.

Well if it is a paid apprenticeship, presumably for the money..?

The system is there to find you paid work so that you can support yourself and if you cannot, to provide some money.

The point I'm making is that, if you refuse to apply for jobs, apprenticeships etc, then the Job Centre can refuse to sign off on your JSA as they will deem you as not actively seeking work.

If it's unpaid apprenticeships, then fine I can understand you as having sufficient reason to refuse.
Reply 41
Original post by Zerforax

The system is there to find you paid work so that you can support yourself and if you cannot, to provide some money.

The point I'm making is that, if you refuse to apply for jobs, apprenticeships etc, then the Job Centre can refuse to sign off on your JSA as they will deem you as not actively seeking work.

If it's unpaid apprenticeships, then fine I can understand you as having sufficient reason to refuse.

Apprenticeships usually run for a certain amount of time and you don't get anything if you quit them early which will likely be the case because I doubt they last less than 3 months.
People on here have already said that they have told them they are going uni and they are not making them apply for apprenticeships because they realise that the positions are valuable to some people who do not have any plans for the future.

Also I didn't say I'm not applying for jobs.
Get A Job
Reply 43
Original post by Prepare-Yourself
Get A Job

Easier said then done.
Reply 44
Original post by steviemcg
Lol i acc just signed on this morning and I start uni in september, they said everything was fine just don't say your going to uni unless they ask you. They are sending my application to head office but the woman said everything was fine and I should get my first payment friday. The tax man overcharged me last year so an eye for an eye as they say.

You are right. I tried that because as I wrote above I left my previous course and didnt think they would give me any since I was going back to uni and left a course if you see what I mean. I didnt say I was going back to uni just that 'I have left my university course' but at my advisor meeting she seemed to think I was going back to uni even tho it didnt say on any documentation I was that they have. There'll be a point were I wont be able to apply for much jobs at the moment I'm trying for 4-5 a week because I'll be full time at uni. Even at interviews I dont mention I'm going back to uni but the interviewers seem to assume I am probably from my grades so far. My summer will consist of checking online every afternoon and signing every second Thursday- one summer to be remembered lol. I have to travel 16 miles too and public transport isnt frequent to the town from my village. biked it twice and bus twice but had 2 hours to wait in the library until my sign time.
Reply 45
Original post by Zerforax

Also I don't need you to "understand" my actions because unlike some people I don't search for approval from condescending idiots like you on the internet. One day you might learn that you can't just get a job out of thin air.
(edited 11 years ago)
Easier said then done.

That's no reason to give up and get on JSA, you'd be suprised at what you have to do to get JSA as well. It isn't free money like EMA.
Reply 47
That's no reason to give up and get on JSA, you'd be suprised at what you have to do to get JSA as well. It isn't free money like EMA.

Claiming JSA isn't "giving up" it's to get some money to live on while you are looking for work. I didn't get EMA so I wouldn't know about that.
Original post by Doskey
If you are 18 you can't but if you are 19 or over you can (I think), that's what I'm doing. Any jobs they give you you have to apply for, otherwise you don't get your money. You can say that you may be going to uni but I've found that I still get pushed towards apprenticeships and pernament full-time work.

You can claim if you're 18. Some can claim if under 18.
Reply 49
Spongers? I'm claiming job seekers until I can find a job which will be at most 3 months of claiming it because in case you haven't noticed, you need money to live. I'm sure when I get my degree and start earning money I will pay back the money in no time at all because unlike some people I'm doing a worth while degree so if you want to blame anybody blame people that do terrible degrees and don't pay the money back which they borrowed. Oh and my dad pays about £30k tax per year so I'm sure he has pretty much covered me for longer than 3 months.

If your dad is wealthy enough to pay 30k tax per year, then surely he'd be able to help you out for the 3 months before you start uni..before you start trying to get your hands on money, 1) you quite clearly don't need and 2) don't really deserve...
Reply 50
Original post by cdoyle
You are right. I tried that because as I wrote above I left my previous course and didnt think they would give me any since I was going back to uni and left a course if you see what I mean. I didnt say I was going back to uni just that 'I have left my university course' but at my advisor meeting she seemed to think I was going back to uni even tho it didnt say on any documentation I was that they have. There'll be a point were I wont be able to apply for much jobs at the moment I'm trying for 4-5 a week because I'll be full time at uni. Even at interviews I dont mention I'm going back to uni but the interviewers seem to assume I am probably from my grades so far. My summer will consist of checking online every afternoon and signing every second Thursday- one summer to be remembered lol. I have to travel 16 miles too and public transport isnt frequent to the town from my village. biked it twice and bus twice but had 2 hours to wait in the library until my sign time.

frig!! all that travelling must take a good chunk out of your dole? lol.. and its nothing illegal were basically screwing the government before they get the chance to screw us :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by shezshez
If your dad is wealthy enough to pay 30k tax per year, then surely he'd be able to help you out for the 3 months before you start uni..before you start trying to get your hands on money, 1) you quite clearly don't need and 2) don't really deserve...

My dads money isn't my money for a start so I don't have any right to ask him for money. Also how do you know I clearly don't need it and Why don't I deserve it? I'm pretty sure there are about a million people on JSA who just spend it on drugs and alcohol and have never worked a day in their life which I have and have paid tax on so I'm pretty sure I've contributed to the economy enough to ask for a small favour while I am looking for a job.
Reply 52
Original post by shezshez

shut up.. fair play to him he's not living out of daddy's pocket which loads of young people do these days and i'm sure he had a job before and paid tax and national insurance before so he's entitled to apply for it.. fickle fcuk
Reply 53
Original post by cdoyle
I finish my JSA in September as I start uni. stopped my previous course and went to them got my money. anyway the money I get from my JSA will have to go towards my £3465 tuition fees in NI because I dont qualify for a tuition fee loan. They havent told me of any jobs I have to apply for. Strange?! I have applied to well over 40 jobs got 4 interviews back and one tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure the jobs they give me they give to about 50 other people. Good luck with your interview! I've only had one in the last 6 months :colondollar:
Claiming JSA isn't "giving up" it's to get some money to live on while you are looking for work. I didn't get EMA so I wouldn't know about that.

To live on? Do you mean you need it for Food or Rent? If not I don't think its necessary to claim it?
Reply 55
OMG. I thought people who are at uni were meant to have some sort of intelligence. Let me make this crystal clear.

I am not asking whether I can sign on I am asking whether I can say to them that I don't want to do any apprenticeships. I have already had 2 interviews this week so it's not like I'm going to claim JSA and not look for jobs. Some people on here who are taking the moral high ground need to just shut up and stop trying to make me feel guilty about signing on just because they are 18 years old and still get supported by their parents.

Being on JSA myself after being made unemployed in May it really gets me **** the amount of people who talk about JSA. Why talk just try to claim it or shutup wondering about claiming!
Claiming JSA is not giving up, the clue is in the name. You rather tell some one to keep looking for a job for two months and have no money to pay for rent, bills, clothes or food? right. JSA isn't hard to fake either, at my local job centre my mate would just feed them lies on a paper he had to complete every two weeks or something. So yeah, they don't exactly follow you with a 24/7 camera asking for proof that you're searching for a job.
Reply 57
Having also claimed JSA at a few points throughout the year its been fine for me despite the fact I too am off to university in September.
For every 10 wasters on JSA there are hundreds of keen people looking for work that just isn't there so it does annoy me when people are tarred with the same brush.

I've spent a lot of the past year doing temp work for agencies and I would advise the OP and anyone else not in work to do so as well (if this avenue hasn't been explored already!). They deal with a lot of students and people looking for short term contracts, the work is generally easy and the agreements are flexible.
Reply 58
Original post by steviemcg
frig!! all that travelling must take a good chunk out of your dole? lol.. and its nothing illegal were basically screwing the government before they get the chance to screw us :smile:

They gave me a half fare pass. Has meant my travel to my part time courses were cheaper too. Screw the Government sounds good to me.
Reply 59
yh you can claim jsa before going to uni becase i did last summer just dont tell them that your going to uni or that you have applied for a student loan (if you have)
just say your keeping you options open and that you are looking for work
they dont really ask much to be honest :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending