Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    help me anything will do, maybe even a full coursework in this case, or a place from where i can get it
    this is the question and it counts for 10% of the mark:

Suresh is comparing magazines and newspapers. He chooses a passage from one newspaper and one magazine. They each contain 100 words and he counts the lengths of all the words. Suresh then says that hte magazine has the shortest words.
    * Write a hypothesis about hte length of wrds in newspapers and magazines.
    * Design and cary out an investigation to test your hypothesis.

basically i am terrible in maths i have to give this coursework in for monday and i have absolutely no idea on what im supposed to be doing, i have a lousy teacher who hasnt explained it properly and i only have one lesson a week with him (Im doing resits) i didnt knw about it until this week therefore didnt prepare for it and found out it has to be in on monday when i went to my last lesson

i am really desperate at the moment and if anyone can provide me with extra help email me at: [email protected]
    any posts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz)
    help me anything will do, maybe even a full coursework in this case, or a place from where i can get it
    Hmm, help we can do, but the whole homework? try bribing the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hmm, help we can do, but the whole homework? try bribing the teacher.
    They are usually paid so poorly that they would accept the bribe!

ReputationRep:
    LOL u jokas i think its a bit late for a bribe neway iv tried bribes before (i'v tried everything for maths!!!) they neva work for me!!!
    seriously man i need help desperately, its ok by me if you cant give me the whole coursework, help will be betta than nothin

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to actually come up with a null and alternative hypothesis and carry out a statistical test or just will an ordinary hypothesis do????

ReputationRep:
    lets say we give you the coursework, and you get an A*, will you deserve it?

say you then go to an employer, and he says "it looks like you're good at maths, come here and do some calculations for me...." what will you do then? if he finds out you're crap at maths, will he not sack you?

ReputationRep:
    Plot a bar chart for the newspaper:

|
    |x
    |x
    |xx
    |xxx
    |xxx
    |xxx
    |xxxxx
    |xxxxxxxx
    ------------------> length of word

where

height of bar 1 = number of words with length at least 1 (all of them!)
    height of bar 2 = number of words with length at least 2
    height of bar 3 = number of words with length at least 3
    height of bar 4 = ..., etc

Do the same for the magazine. Compare the two bar charts by combining them into one diagram (use different colours).

In which chart do the bars get shorter faster? If it's the newspaper chart, then you can conclude that the newspaper has shorter words. If it's the magazine chart, then you can conclude that the magazine has shorter words.

ReputationRep:
    elpaw
    A* yeah rite!!! i wouldnt be able to get an A* if my life depended on it anyway this coursework only counts for 10% i doubt that would get me an A* i only need a good mark on it because i knw ill be crap at the actual exam.

Jonny W
    thank you very much that actually helped me get my head around it so i think i knw what im doing now

ReputationRep:
    This is just GCSE so you don't need to come up with a null and alternative hypothesis, I've just taken my stats 1 AS exam, and we had only just learnt about null and alternative hypothesies. For this hypothesis all it is is basically a prediction, just say something along the lines of;

"Hypothesis-The magazine has the shortest word length"-sorry I can't remember the proper details but you see what I mean. Then I would say you want to do a talley, and gather the word lengths of the words in the magazine and paper. Then work out the mean word length, and talk about it, that will basically say which has the greatest word length. Once you've done that you discuss outliers, so if you have done standard deviation and outliers, now would be a good time to work out the standard deviation, state any possible outliers, and discuss it further. Half of this is probably irrelevant but thats all I can remember from last year and all I can put into practise from my AS Stats 1.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be blunt, but if you don't know how to do this, don't you deserve the mark you'll get without help from people on the internet?

Eplaw made a good point and you ignored the important part

I can't believe you're expecting someone to just do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I don't mean to be blunt, but if you don't know how to do this, don't you deserve the mark you'll get without help from people on the internet?

Eplaw made a good point and you ignored the important part

I can't believe you're expecting someone to just do it for you.
    Tis true, using the forum to help you get the correct answer is important for education, as it can help to augment the edcuation you recieve in school.

But to just expect the answer to be done for you is just too much.

ReputationRep:
    Think yo uare being a little harsh here, there is nothing wrong with, i.e thats what this forum was made for. If the teacher hasn't helped you enough then what is the harm in getting some one else to help? No one has given the answers as such, just said what needs to be done, the main work still has to be done yourself.

ReputationRep:
    yo listen people stop gettin so uptight about it cos i dont expect someone to do it for, i said what i did to get the point across of how desperate i am. the advice jonny w and greeny_3 have provided is very useful and has actually pointed me in the rite direction
    secondly i wasnt even sure of how this forum worked until i had read other ppls posts later (becasue i found this forum over a search engine) and neva used until now
    ok so elpaw is rite i only deserve to get the grade im gonna get but everyone deserves a second chance cos i did say i only found out about the coursework two days before it was due

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 29, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.