The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Kurdt Morello
be honest now nik - if they have succombed to peer pressure how strong are their characters - they care too much what others think and have given in - strong characters dont care what the madding crowd think.

ah no, but thats it, many have simply asked their older siblings for a puff or maybe asked their mates without being offered and without feeling pressure to do so.
'
{ingnik']83% of statistics are made up :biggrin: what's your source?

A reliable one...lost the link now, it was on the BBC news website.
blissy
60% of Cambridge undergraduates would vote Lib Dem...

WHat's going wrong with these "citizenship" lessons?

actually to me that is a pleasant surprise - wouldnt u say Alee?
Reply 123
'
{ingnik']"All drugs to some degree or another are addictive, but you know what? So's alcohol. And smoking. And caffeine. And sex. Doesn't mean that everyone's going to get addicted to them though"

"If people decide that they want to put themselves at risk by taking ecstacy or speed or a line of coke..."

would you not say that these are references to the health implications?

Addiction is mental. There is also the physical health effect to consider.

My point was that drugs are not OK because they hurt the health. What's yours?
Reply 124
Kurdt Morello
actually to me that is a pleasant surprise - wouldnt u say Alee?

It's sad.... intellectual elite my bottom. Lib Dem... pff!
blissy
60% of Cambridge undergraduates would vote Lib Dem...

Thanks for telling me that :smile: Am quite pleased to hear it :tongue:
Reply 126
waiting2smile
A reliable one...lost the link now, it was on the BBC news website.

good old bbc. well then the government needs to invest on educating them doesnt it.
'
{ingnik']ah no, but thats it, many have simply asked their older siblings for a puff or maybe asked their mates without being offered and without feeling pressure to do so.

doesnt that show a lack of good upbringing - and also with those who behave strong it is often bravado to cover up deep emotional turmoil - those people lash out and behave like big people in front of an audience
Kurdt Morello
were u ever part of that percentage - or did u think screw it i'll take a chance?

Leave me alone :smile:
Reply 129
waiting2smile
Thanks for telling me that :smile: Am quite pleased to hear it :tongue:

Yes, it was a direct comment (I saw who voted for what on the UKL general election thread). :P
Reply 130
ZJuwelH
Addiction is mental. There is also the physical health effect to consider.

My point was that drugs are not OK because they hurt the health. What's yours?

that drugs can be ok because the pleasure derived from their use can outweigh the displeausre derived from the implications on health if you are careful.
Reply 131
waiting2smile

Yeah Kurdt don't besmirch the name of milady now...
blissy
It's sad.... intellectual elite my bottom. Lib Dem... pff!

why? - would u say it is intellectual to vote for say the Conservatives ? or perhaps another fringe party? :biggrin:
ZJuwelH
You forgot that drugs carry a serious health risk. That's the main reason they're illegal. And yes it does affect people if you smoke in their homes, they can suffer healthwise too.

The risk of passive smoking is less than that you would get from moving to a polluted area. And i know that if you smoke in someone's home, they can suffer healthwise too, but i'm not anti-social with it - i would NEVER spark up a joint (or even a cigarette, come to that), without their consent, i would smoke outside (wooo, that was badly phrased - i wouldn't sit and smoke a joint alone outside. I don't smoke weed alone. But i do smoke cigarettes, and if they dislike it, i'd go outside to do it). Anyway, the point was about me being in MY home. Not someone else's :smile:

I know that drugs carry a health risk. But again, refer to my previous point. If the reason that drugs were illegal was because of the health risk, cigarettes and alcohol would be illegal too. Cigarettes are known carcinogens and alcohol causes liver damage. Drugs are illegal because they can't be taxed, and because they are socially unacceptable because of the stigma associated around them caused by government advertising. Most of the health risks associated with taking drugs isn't the drug itself but the fact that the drug trade, being illegal, is unregulated. Dealers and producers can mix whatever they want with the pure form of their drug, and noone will be any the wiser. I do know that people die from OD's, but you can die from alcohol poisoning too.

Look, i'm not sticking up for all drug taking. I personally don't do anything other than smoke a bit of skunk occasionally, and like i said, i have seen how drugs, when taken too far, can really mess people up. I just think that the backlash by some people against individuals smoking cannabis occasionally was a little extreme.
waiting2smile

:biggrin: - serious question but hint taken :smile:
Reply 135
I'd say it would be more intelligent to vote for a credible party.
ZJuwelH

The head of the drama department was offering us joints after the production. Now have to go and eat my chocolate sundae, so you guys laters, love Alee x
Reply 137
Kurdt Morello
doesnt that show a lack of good upbringing - and also with those who behave strong it is often bravado to cover up deep emotional turmoil - those people lash out and behave like big people in front of an audience

well maybe, i personally dont know if the majority of my friends suffer deep emotional termoil, but i suspect not. maybe it comes from being my friend :biggrin: as for the unbringing thing, surely that depends on your view of drugs and what a good education of them would consist of. a one minded 'drugs are evil' education? whatever happend to free will? :smile:
ZJuwelH

bloody plageriser :biggrin:
Reply 139
waiting2smile
The head of the drama department was offering us joints after the production. Now have to go and eat my chocolate sundae, so you guys laters, love Alee x

ahhh the theatre :biggrin: enjoy your sundae

Latest

Trending

Trending