Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can these results be correct? I thought the thicker the wire the less resistance. I don't know the length or what metal it is. My physics teacher does not even do anything to help us and stopped us half way through coursework and 3 months later wants it in for Monday. The metal is not a common one like iron or copper though.

Resistance in Ohms
    Width SWG 1st 2nd 3rd Average
    36 19.7 19.7 19.9 19.8
    30 7.7 7.6 7.6 7.6
    28 6.0 5.9 5.6 5.8
    24 2.7 2.7 2.5 2.7
    20 1.3 1.3 1.3 1.3

Can U help? I can do length easy but not width. What does SWG stand for Standard Width Gauge???

ReputationRep:
    i dont think SWG is a width measurement. its something else entirely.

you can find a conversion table here: http://www.8886.co.uk/ref/standard_wire_gauge.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LennyX)
    Can these results be correct? I thought the thicker the wire the less resistance. I don't know the length or what metal it is. My physics teacher does not even do anything to help us and stopped us half way through coursework and 3 months later wants it in for Monday. The metal is not a common one like iron or copper though.

Resistance in Ohms
    Width SWG 1st 2nd 3rd Average
    36 19.7 19.7 19.9 19.8
    30 7.7 7.6 7.6 7.6
    28 6.0 5.9 5.6 5.8
    24 2.7 2.7 2.5 2.7
    20 1.3 1.3 1.3 1.3

Can U help? I can do length easy but not width. What does SWG stand for Standard Width Gauge???
    well if ur results show the opposite u were obviously wrong...make sure in ur write up u put ur reasons for ur hypothesis and the reason for ur results is that with a thicker wire there are more metal molecules to block movement of elctrons so res. is higher

ReputationRep:
    Metals will all follow the formulae of conductivity/ resitivity. I know that many use various different material for this just do a web search

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what SWG is then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LennyX)
    does anyone know what SWG is then
    standard wire gauge (SWG) is generally inverse to the diameter of the wire.

i gave you the link for it, but here it is again: http://www.8886.co.uk/ref/standard_wire_gauge.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot elpaw that was where I was getting stuck thinking the higher the SWG the bigger the diameter

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.