OK I got a letter but now I need some clearheaded advice...

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I got my letter from LCP (or LCC as it's now known) today. It's inviting my for an interview on the 12th March. Along with the interview I have to write a 500 word essay on the question:
In the light of thre reporting leading up to the war with Iraq, to what extent is the media to blame for the diminishing trust people are said to have in politicians?
to be written in the style of a Comment from a leading national newspaper.

I understand the question but I don't know what to do with it whether to write different people and institutions that the blame could be placed on whether to write on the sociological issues such as 9/11, the Afghan war, History of America and Iraq. And as for the lead to up to war reporting I can barely remember last weeks news rather than over a year ago.
I don't want answers as such, just a nudge in a direction. I already know what to write for each one but I don't want to end up being rejected because of my opinions, I want to give them what the lecturers want but without selling myself out in the process.
Any takers?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I got my letter from LCP (or LCC as it's now known) today. It's inviting my for an interview on the 12th March. Along with the interview I have to write a 500 word essay on the question:
In the light of thre reporting leading up to the war with Iraq, to what extent is the media to blame for the diminishing trust people are said to have in politicians?
to be written in the style of a Comment from a leading national newspaper.

I understand the question but I don't know what to do with it whether to write different people and institutions that the blame could be placed on whether to write on the sociological issues such as 9/11, the Afghan war, History of America and Iraq. And as for the lead to up to war reporting I can barely remember last weeks news rather than over a year ago.
I don't want answers as such, just a nudge in a direction. I already know what to write for each one but I don't want to end up being rejected because of my opinions, I want to give them what the lecturers want but without selling myself out in the process.
Any takers?
you could discuss the problems with hutton's decision. also I'm sure the grauniad website will have the news from a year ago. If you want dates the war officially started on March 20th.

Good luck with it.

Musicboy
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If it were based on a Comment section in a newspaper, surely they would allow own opinions?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
I jotted down some "ideas" earlier and unfortunatley it came to well over 500 without even scratching the surface, and I reknown myself as being articulate grrr

Don’t trust strangers. That was what your mother always told you, wasn’t it? So why are all these strangers running the country, claiming to have your best interests at heart and taking away your money? They are called, Politicians. We put our trusts within them and yet we still don’t trust them. How is that possible? Well if we don’t give them our money then we get thrown into one of their overcrowded prisons and made to suffer for not putting our lives in their hands. Funny old world isn’t it?

In 2003, Tony Blair, Prime Minister for the United Kingdom along with his cabinet, made one of the biggest actions that could cause any doubt within our trust with the government. He took us to war. Against the evil dictator Saddam Hussein, but once again we were having trouble with trusting him because the media in the run up to the declaration of war were torn.
The Sun reported on the run up saying that Tony Blair was a hero and that the war with Iraq was a courageous act but the Guardian proclaimed that why are we messing in someone else’s desires for warmongering, that wasn’t even about liberty and justice (as we had been led to believe) but oil.

People form their opinions by their upbringing and environment, many people who support Labour, their children will continue to support Labour. Their parents have given them a set of values since the day of their birth and influenced them with what they watch, where they went to school, who they mixed with, to what they believe is right. They also take their views on the world from what the press say. Newspapers are still very much within the class system as much as we’d like to deny it. What newspaper we read usually dictates the kind of person we are. But as we are all so very different, the news has to “cater” to what we want. Because of this there are a lot of different slants on a single news story. Each newspaper has a set of values which they uphold by and because of these great divide between the difference of each story to each paper caused a certain sense of disbelief and mistrust with the government.

So, we are being led to believe here that to a great extent a lot of the distrust towards the Government is caused by the media. However a lot of distrust towards the media is possibly taken from how the Government acquires their knowledge. Big Brother,
denotes a nanny state, where we are watched all the time. The Official Secrets act, spies, informants. The media try to give us as much as they can without breaking any laws and because of that we have a jigsaw with many missing pieces. Which leads to a distorted picture. It’s not really the Government’s fault though, they try to tell the country as much as they can without letting through the bad stuff that could cause a panic and deal with it quietly. Gate keeping is the term for it. People believe that we should tell them everything but surely, Ignorance is Bliss?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Come on guyssssssss pleaseeeeee
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have you tried trawling the net for articles. I'm sure that articles have already been written about this subject that could give you ideas of how to approach it.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
Have you tried trawling the net for articles. I'm sure that articles have already been written about this subject that could give you ideas of how to approach it.
Yeah apparently everything is deleted after a year or so It seems, all I can remember from before the war is 9/11, the equipment problems and that I had a bf....my brain has got frazzled from turing 18
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When it says "comment" does it mean an opinion of one journalist of the newspaper, or does it mean a sort-of press release where the newspaper's position is defended?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)
When it says "comment" does it mean an opinion of one journalist of the newspaper, or does it mean a sort-of press release where the newspaper's position is defended?
It literally says "as a comment piece in a leading national newspaper" so I'm assuming like the editor's take on it at the back pages
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh ok, the word "piece" does change the meaning slightly! Funny how one word changes a whole meaning - very journalistic
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)
oh ok, the word "piece" does change the meaning slightly! Funny how one word changes a whole meaning - very journalistic
I know but where they've not put in a word i'm confusedddddd
it's so vague is that because they want to give me a lot of leeway or what
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know but where they've not put in a word i'm confusedddddd
it's so vague is that because they want to give me a lot of leeway or what
I was going to type "oh yeah for original interpretation" but then I suddenyl thought - perhaps they want you to take the style and political stance of a certain newspaper and write like that, to show that you recognise journalistic bias and ethics as well. Rather than just writing what YOU would think, take it like you're writing it for a certain newspaper that you are employed by? I suppose they're looking for someone who stands out. You could write: In the style of the economist or whatever (I have a house style-sheet of theirs at home, that's why they srang to mind!).

Obviously you will have read a lot of different print-media matter so will have a lot of styles to choose from .
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A single newspaper would not defend "the media" as a whole, they would take it to mean themselves and would therefore defend themselves - they are, after all, in competition.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Right now I'm looking for someone I find trustworthy enough to read it through and tell me which newspaper it sounds like, couldn't be arsed to accomodate it to a newspaper....jeopordises my free thought.
It's only a first draft, if I know you and you think you could give me some useful criticism, IM me
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right now I'm looking for someone I find trustworthy enough to read it through and tell me which newspaper it sounds like, couldn't be arsed to accomodate it to a newspaper....jeopordises my free thought.
It's only a first draft, if I know you and you think you could give me some useful criticism, IM me
where is it?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
I'll PM it to you I doubt there would be any cause for plagarism though, but better safe than sorry.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads