Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    got a real old computer (apricot MS540, if that helps) can i upgrade to XP?? 1.96GB in c-drive if that helps.?????????????????//////can i upgrade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ianbradshaw2002)
    got a real old computer (apricot MS540, if that helps) can i upgrade to XP?? 1.96GB in c-drive if that helps.?????????????????//////can i upgrade
    Man you got loads of computer problems.

ReputationRep:
    You won't have enough hard drive space, you will have to format too. Apricot went bust a long time ago so you're not going to get XP on it. You need a new base unit as the very least.

ReputationRep:
    yep. well can i??

ReputationRep:
    well its got Apricot MS540 underneath the floppy but its got Mitsubishi on it aswell????????????/

ReputationRep:
    well its got Apricot MS540 underneath the floppy but its got Mitsubishi on it aswell????????????/
    Yes Mistisbishi would have made the floppy drive. Trust me you aint gonna get XP on that old piece of crap. Leave it like it is or buy a new base unit. Somthing for £100 will be able to run XP with ease.

Do you know how much memory the computer has?

ReputationRep:
    1.96GB in c-drive if that helps

ReputationRep:
    No, that's hard disk space. He wants to know how much RAM there is in your machine.

ReputationRep:
    how do i find that ????

ReputationRep:
    Thats your hard drive space you have left, XP alone used 2GB before you have even started installing applications.

What operating system do you currently have? If it came with Windows 95 then there is no way on earth it will run XP.

To run XP properly you need at least

800MHz processor
    128MB RAM (256mb strongly recomended)
    around 10gb free hard drive space.

ReputationRep:
    how do i find that ????
    Go into control panel, then system. It will tell you somthing like

Intel 486 CPU
    8MB RAM

ReputationRep:
    came with 95. bugger.
    i hear there r some good and cheap laptops about/////////////////.................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Thats your hard drive space you have left, XP alone used 2GB before you have even started installing applications.
    I ran XP off a 1.5 gig drive with space left over.

ReputationRep:
    came with 95. bugger.
    i hear there r some good and cheap laptops about/////////////////.................
    Second hand a laptop that will run XP well will set you back a good £300 if not more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I ran XP off a 1.5 gig drive with space left over.
    Yeah but its not idealy at all, you will run out of space for applications and a typical XP swap file can be 1gb if you don't have much RAM.

ReputationRep:
    48.0MB Ram

ReputationRep:
    48.0MB Ram
    You need 64MB to even boot XP up, 128MB RAM for basic word processing etc, a bit of surfing, 256mb RAM for multimedia apps, and above 256mb for graphics stuff.

It sounds like you have an early Pentium, it should run Windows 98 ok but forget XP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yeah but its not idealy at all, you will run out of space for applications and a typical XP swap file can be 1gb if you don't have much RAM.
    i know, it was a temporary solution while my normal HDD was busted in december. but i didnt think it was too bad, there wasnt any complications or slow programs or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i know, it was a temporary solution while my normal HDD was busted in december. but i didnt think it was too bad, there wasnt any complications or slow programs or anything like that.
    Yeah but I was meaning more of a practicaly when I said he dosn't have a enough hard drive space rather than theory. I managed to run Windows 95 on an 80MB hard drive once. In fact I may install Win95 on my USB pen drive and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Elpaw, i take it you don't want to help me then?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.