The Student Room Group

Salary advice, graduate job

I went to an interview for a job yesterday and I might be offered a position based on the feedback they gave me. However, the basic salary is only £18,000 with a possibility of earning £22,000 if I have enough experience. But they weren't able to tell me until I had worked there a while so that they can judge my skills.

The role sounds interesting and it would be great experience, but £18,000 after tax, student loan payments and travel costs really isn't that much. I would actually be taking home less than I did in my placement year because of the student loan repayment.

Just wanted some advice on whether or not you think it's worth taking it. Is that the going rate for non-graduate scheme type jobs after graduation? This is in a marketing field btw.

I just don't want to accept a job without much money if I could be earning more elsewhere.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well what degree did you get? If you got a mediocre degree then that's okay but if you excelled in a decent subject you could earn more elsewhere. You said it looks interesting though and would be great experience, so be grateful you found a job and take it until you find something better?
Reply 2
Original post by tinman1
Well what degree did you get? If you got a mediocre degree then that's okay but if you excelled in a decent subject you could earn more elsewhere. You said it looks interesting though and would be great experience, so be grateful you found a job and take it until you find something better?

2.1 in business and IT, got a first in my final year project.

I know that I could earn more money for a graduate scheme position, but I'm mainly looking for a role to get experience for a year and then move elsewhere. I am grateful that I found a job, it's just that I was expecting to be able to get a little more money. I'm just not sure if my expectations were too high, and this is actually an average salary for a grad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Oh please, take the bloody job. I hate to break it to you but no employer will care that you got a first in your final year project. Take the job but keep an eye out for others. The most important thing is getting into the job market and whilst £18k isn't a massive salary, it isn't terrible for a graduate and will no doubt lead to bigger and better things.
Original post by biffyclyro27
I went to an interview for a job yesterday and I might be offered a position based on the feedback they gave me. However, the basic salary is only £18,000 with a possibility of earning £22,000 if I have enough experience. But they weren't able to tell me until I had worked there a while so that they can judge my skills.

The role sounds interesting and it would be great experience, but £18,000 after tax, student loan payments and travel costs really isn't that much. I would actually be taking home less than I did in my placement year because of the student loan repayment.

Just wanted some advice on whether or not you think it's worth taking it. Is that the going rate for non-graduate scheme type jobs after graduation? This is in a marketing field btw.

I just don't want to accept a job without much money if I could be earning more elsewhere.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

How would you live on that? You wouldn't.
Reply 5
Where do you live, what are the hours, is it good experience...
Reply 6
Original post by monk_keys
Where do you live, what are the hours, is it good experience...

I live in Oxfordshire, but the job is near Reading. Hours are normal 9-5 and yes it's good experience, just **** pay.
For outside of London that is actually not bad pay. It is better to have a job and to continue looking for one then be looking for a job whilst on the dreaded soul-destroying £65-a-week that is Job Seeker's Allowance.
Reply 8
Bare in mind that you don't get 9-5 with most higher paying grad jobs. If they offer it to you I'd be more probing on the salary, explain that you can't be expected to make a decision on such a broad salary range. If you could get 20k confirmed I'd take it.
Reply 9

You won't be paying back any student loans until you earn over £21,000.
Original post by Em_Huong

False.

Under the old system, which the OP must have been on, it's £15,000.
Original post by Em_Huong

I thought it was still £15,000 for those of us who took out the £3000ish loan before they hiked up the prices?

Edit: Just checked, it's £15,795 for me. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_171572
(edited 11 years ago)
I thought it was still £15,000 for those of us who took out the £3000ish loan before they hiked up the prices?

It is.
Reply 13
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
It is.

Sorry guys, my bad :colondollar:
Reply 14
You can easily live off that salary for a year. Plus, much easier to get a new job once you're already employed. Far better than having nothing.
Reply 15
I think its a good starting point. I've finished my degree and set to graduate next month and atm, I have a job which pays between 18k and 20k (depending on overtime hours) but it's not even remotely related to my degree discipline so it's just additional pressure to somehow break into something that does make my degree relevant. Imo, you have a really good chance to build up on experience and skills and then apply for something better. You shouldn't be focusing so much on the income but more on the fact, it's you getting your foot in the door which most people would kill for atm!
(edited 11 years ago)
Take the job.
£18k is a good starting salary and beats being on the dole in terms of pay and in terms of finding employment somewhere else. It's a year, it's experience and you can apply for other jobs/ schemes whilst working there. Money isn't the be all and end all anyway.

Your expectations were too high I think.
I say take it and keep your eyes open for something higher paid.

It's much easier to get a new job while in a job already and not being a raw recruit fresh out f Uni with no experience will count hugely in your favor.
Reply 18
Don't you only start paying your student loan after you're earning 21K+ a year?
Also, your lucky to even get that in my opinion! I know people with the same degree as you who've been out of Uni and looking for a medioca salary of around 25-30K for about a year!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Weeves
Don't you only start paying your student loan after you're earning 21K+ a year?
Also, your lucky to even get that in my opinion! I know people with the same degree as you who've been out of Uni and looking for a medioca salary of around 25-30K for about a year!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Did you even read this thread? It's only a few posts, bloody hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending