The Student Room Group

Graduated with a shoddy job...jeakous

Hi All,

I'm feeling depressed with regards to post-graduation. I achieved 4As at A-level in Econ, Maths, F.Maths and History. Then I went on to read Economics at University of Manchester and had completed internships and had prior experience.

However I have not managed to find myself a graduate job, I seemed to always mess up in the assessment centre or final interview. I have found a job in Manchester for a private bank as a trainee on about £28k. Though I have friends who have gained jobsi in investment banks and firms in London on £38-45k + bonus.

It just makes me feel really depressed and jealous!!

Advice? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Fisrtworldproblems.jpg
Honestly you need a good smack.
:rolleyes: OP, I graduated 2years ago, working two measly jobs to barely scrap £450 a month! Thank your lucky stars you've even got a job with what I would deem in my eyes, a very good annual income.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Silver Arrow
Fisrtworldproblems.jpg
Honestly you need a good smack.

This.

I am seriously depressed as I've graduated and am working in a crap job, not relevant with no progression and hand to mouth wages. A good few of my friends are too. You are in training in an area you want to go into with a £28k start... And I know it's all relative and that, but when you have finished training, you will have experience and be earning more. You mightn't have had the same quick start of your friends but you are a LOT better off than most.
Stop comparing yourself to others, you've got a job paying a good wage in the middle of a recession, just chill out a bit!
Reply 5
Be happy you've got a job (and a very good paying one) in this current economic climate.
Reply 6
28k starting? I hope you're a troll. If not, quite frankly, you're a complete moron. There are plenty of people who have graduated who are stuck in min wage jobs and the like. Stop whining, and grow up.
Reply 7
You're the type of person who people laugh at when they get hit by trucks.
If you're willing to go that far, pretty sure trainee hitmen pays a bit more than 28k. A lot more if you include benefits.
Original post by Genocidal
You're the type of person who people laugh at when they get hit by trucks.

hah
£28k in Manchester is probably worth more than £40k in London. Cost of living etc. Get over yourself.
Original post by Anonymous

However I have not managed to find myself a graduate job, I seemed to always mess up in the assessment centre or final interview. I have found a job in Manchester for a private bank as a trainee on about £28k. Though I have friends who have gained jobsi in investment banks and firms in London on £38-45k + bonus.

have you checked if they are still your friends? if they are working in investment banks I'm not sure how many of their precious hours outside of work they will want to spend with some dude earning sub-30k up in Manchester lol
I have a friend of a friend. If you know what I mean :holmes:
Reply 14
I've graduated and I don't have a job yet, I live in a tourist town where there is nothing for graduates anyways. To get back to London and have the possibility of finding a decent graduate level job, I'm going to have to work **** jobs down here for the next 3/4 months to save up enough cash to do so, which is going to be boring as **** and there's no guarantee I'll find anything great in London either.

So man up already, you have it good.
I'd kill for a full time job never mind 28k!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by ProStacker
£28k in Manchester is probably worth more than £40k in London. Cost of living etc. Get over yourself.

Agreed.

Was OP really expecting the same exact wage? He/she must be really deluded.
Show me a graduate who earns £28k and I'll show you a green dog.
If you don't want the job I'll have it :biggrin:
Reply 19
Obviously a post designed to cause a kerfuffle. Don't feed it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending