This discussion is closed.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi, has anyone recently contracted those really anoying homepage hijackers. the ones that continously change your homepage to something like coolsearch.cc and crap like that? im trying to fix mine at the moment.

oh yeah, and another question, is it my dodgy comp or do some people have red gems, i saw one person a second ago before logging on.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
hi, has anyone recently contracted those really anoying homepage hijackers. the ones that continously change your homepage to something like coolsearch.cc and crap like that? im trying to fix mine at the moment.

oh yeah, and another question, is it my dodgy comp or do some people have red gems, i saw one person a second ago before logging on.
Its just a bit of Javascript that changes your homepage. Are you using that internet explorer crap?
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Yeh I have the same, my homepage changes after a say or two.
SasunD
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Its just a bit of Javascript that changes your homepage. Are you using that internet explorer crap?
it may be crap, but its all i got at the mo. although i plan to make my own browser like my friend has done.
SasunD
Rep:
?
SHANDY, how come you have two red gems????
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Get Mozzila Firebox, its great, it is so much more reliable than I.E
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you are around here a bit more often you'd realise the reason why.
SasunD
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
If you are around here a bit more often you'd realise the reason why.
i wasn't here for like 1 day! what did i miss?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

you can usually get cleaner programs from the sites you're redirected to. there should be a link somewhere on coolsearch.cc saying "stop making coolsearch.cc my homepage" that will search your PC for the trojans/hijackers and delete them.
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do not know.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Download Spybot search and destroy, update it and give your computer a scan. You'll surprised what it will find. Once this is done click fix selected problems. If you like download "hijack this" and post your report and i'll take a look.
Sahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I manage to get infected with crap like that all the time.. AND i'm using Mozilla not IE.

Download this www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip .. which is specifically to remove CoolWeb stuff from your computer.. just download the zip file, unzip and run the program.

EDIT: sorry the link doesn't work, just search Google for "cwshredder.zip"
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sahir)
I manage to get infected with crap like that all the time.. AND i'm using Mozilla not IE.
Do you use a lot of P2P? Do you have a firewall? I could recommend you a good, free firewall if you like.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Do you use a lot of P2P? Do you have a firewall? I could recommend you a good, free firewall if you like.
is it the windows XP one? :cool:
Sahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Firewall at the router which I'm on a wireless connection to.. It's pretty secure.

Reason for the infection are those ActiveX things that can automatically run when you open a webpage. I've selected to prompt for ActiveX running.. which is pretty annoying seeing as it comes up often but recently it seems to be okay-ish.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
is it the windows XP one? :cool:
No, ZoneAlarm. Do you use it?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Zonealarm are only useful for deterring amateur hackers. Any hacker with an ounce of experience know the ways round zA, but apparently it is rpetty time consuming and so obviously they need a good reason to do it beforehand.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
i dont use any firewalls, the uni network is pretty much firewalled.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Zonealarm are only useful for deterring amateur hackers. Any hacker with an ounce of experience know the ways round zA, but apparently it is rpetty time consuming and so obviously they need a good reason to do it beforehand.
If someone really wants to get into your system, they will. It doesn't matter what you have on it. The rule is if it's made by man it can be broken. I don't see why they would really want to waste their time hacking my machine, there isn't exactly much interesting on it - they're more likely to hack into servers and use them to Email virii and spam over the internet - which i have actually seen happen in my line of work.
yOUR_dESTINY
Report 16 years ago
Someone changed mine to a popup test site so whenever i turned my lapop on and connected to the internet, over 100 popups come up and it crashes :'(

but then i changed it after about a week of trying to find out how
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads