Turn on thread page Beta

damn homepage hijackers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    If someone really wants to get into your system, they will. It doesn't matter what you have on it. The rule is if it's made by man it can be broken. I don't see why they would really want to waste their time hacking my machine, there isn't exactly much interesting on it - they're more likely to hack into servers and use them to Email virii and spam over the internet - which i have actually seen happen in my line of work.
    What type of server is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yOUR_dESTINY)
    Someone changed mine to a popup test site so whenever i turned my lapop on and connected to the internet, over 100 popups come up and it crashes :'(

but then i changed it after about a week of trying to find out how
    I fixed a laptop that had exactly the same thing. I ran an Ad-aware scan, removed anything in the control panel that shouldn't be there, delete cookies and temporary internet files and checked the processes menu. It seemed to sort things out.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of those such sites (coolsearch etc) will install random crap on your machine, so make sure you clean it up real good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What type of server is it?
    It wasn't anyhting special, but then they bought some really huge dell server, i'll find out the model (it had xeon processors, they had 3 hard drives in it - it's capable of having up to 8 hard drives) and it weighed a ton. They just had rubbish security on their server (rubbish firewall) and they were taken advantage of. They had one server and it was their file server and their mailgate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It wasn't anyhting special, but then they bought some really huge dell server, i'll find out the model (it had xeon processors, they had 3 hard drives in it - it's capable of having up to 8 hard drives) and it weighed a ton. They just had rubbish security on their server (rubbish firewall) and they were taken advantage of. They had one server and it was their file server and their mailgate.
    But obviously they must have had some beasty connection, to make it worth while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It's the Dell Poweredge 2600 if you're interested. It's a monstrous thing I think it was about 2 mega-bit. Not entirely sure. It took about 15 minutes to receive an internal Email there :eek: before we started working. It took so long because it was queued and there were about 11000 Emails in front of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I fixed a laptop that had exactly the same thing. I ran an Ad-aware scan, removed anything in the control panel that shouldn't be there, delete cookies and temporary internet files and checked the processes menu. It seemed to sort things out.

Yeah, but it was hard for me as i was a newbie at computers, but not anymore

I had 2 get rid of that [email protected] virus blaster or something

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.