Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by s_axo
Could someone stick me on? :smile:

Username: s_axo
Course: Sociology
Accommodation: not sure
GCSEs- 2A*s, 2As, 4Bs
AS Levels- English (A), Psychology (A), Sociology (A), Philosophy (C)
A level prediction- A*A*A
Extras- EPQ

Done :tongue:
University of York
York
Reply 21
HI EVERYONE. I am going into my third year at york and if you have any questions about the library or club Salvation then I'm your guy. I'm not too clued up on much else though. You should also note that there's a really good computer room in Vanbrugh.
Reply 22
Original post by AmyLH
Done :tongue:

Thanks Amy :biggrin: :biggrin: 9 days :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by s_axo
Thanks Amy :biggrin: :biggrin: 9 days :frown:

No problem! Don't remind me :frown:
Reply 24
Hey all! So who's looking forward to applying this year? :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Username: JollyGreenAtheist
Course: History
Accommodation: Not sure yet
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAABBB
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: English Lit, History, Politics, Sociology
AS Grades: Pending
A Level or Equivalent Predictions: -
Extras: Head boy at sixth form, Extended Project, Model UN, musical and sporting achievements (although I probably won't fit those into my personal statement)

Original post by Cameron 1
Username: Cameron 1
Course: History
Accommodation: Don't know yet
GCSEs: 4 A*s, 5 As, 1 B
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: History, Geography, Economics, Philosophy +ethics(A.S)
AS Grades: -
A Level or Equivalent Predictions: -
Extras: Community work, school prefect, school mentor, economics prize at school.

Hi, I'm also applying for 2013 history here. Just wondering where else you guys are applying for? :smile:
Original post by pricey26
Hi, I'm also applying for 2013 history here. Just wondering where else you guys are applying for? :smile:

Hey.

I've still not got a definitive list, but right now it's something like

York
Warwick
Durham/Bristol (depending on how ballsy I feel about that A*)
UEA
Kent
Reply 27
Hey.

I've still not got a definitive list, but right now it's something like

York
Warwick
Durham/Bristol (depending on how ballsy I feel about that A*)
UEA
Kent

That is so weird! I'm thinking of:
York
Exeter
Sheffield
UEA
Kent

I take it the last 2 are insurances? :smile:
That is so weird! I'm thinking of:
York
Exeter
Sheffield
UEA
Kent

I take it the last 2 are insurances? :smile:

Yeah, they're my insurances :smile:. I was toying with Exeter, but the whole A*AA-AAB offer spectrum confused me a bit, and it has a bit of a rah-reputation, which I probably wouldn't fit in, haha.
Reply 29
Yeah, they're my insurances :smile:. I was toying with Exeter, but the whole A*AA-AAB offer spectrum confused me a bit, and it has a bit of a rah-reputation, which I probably wouldn't fit in, haha.

Yeah, same actually, I don't know how they decide what to give! Ah well, I'm off to the open day on Saturday so I guess I'll decide whether to risk it or not! And same with UEA and Kent; just can't decide if I think an AAB insurance at UEA is too risky. What do you mean 'rah-reputation'?
Yeah, same actually, I don't know how they decide what to give! Ah well, I'm off to the open day on Saturday so I guess I'll decide whether to risk it or not! And same with UEA and Kent; just can't decide if I think an AAB insurance at UEA is too risky. What do you mean 'rah-reputation'?

I'm hopefully going to the Kent open day on Wednesday, so I'll get a better idea. I'm torn between UEA and Kent as well. I'll aim for my insurance to be 2 grades lower than my firm. So, if I firm A*AA (Durham), my insurance will be AAB (UEA), but if I firm AAA (York, Bristol, Warwick), my insurance will be ABB (Kent).

Rah-reputation, as in, lots of gorgeous, rich, blond people wearing Jack Wills, Uggs, using Daddy's credit card willy-nilly. I know it's a silly stereotype, but there tends to be an element of truth in most stereotypes. That said, I expect most top 20 universities will attract a large portion of that group...
Reply 31
I'm hopefully going to the Kent open day on Wednesday, so I'll get a better idea. I'm torn between UEA and Kent as well. I'll aim for my insurance to be 2 grades lower than my firm. So, if I firm A*AA (Durham), my insurance will be AAB (UEA), but if I firm AAA (York, Bristol, Warwick), my insurance will be ABB (Kent).

Rah-reputation, as in, lots of gorgeous, rich, blond people wearing Jack Wills, Uggs, using Daddy's credit card willy-nilly. I know it's a silly stereotype, but there tends to be an element of truth in most stereotypes. That said, I expect most top 20 universities will attract a large portion of that group...

Ah okay, that makes sense! And oh, I didn't know that about Exeter; I know it's expensive though! Ah well, I shall see what I think on Saturday :smile:
Ah okay, that makes sense! And oh, I didn't know that about Exeter; I know it's expensive though! Ah well, I shall see what I think on Saturday :smile:

Keep me posted on how it goes? I've not completely ruled it out yet.
Reply 33
Keep me posted on how it goes? I've not completely ruled it out yet.

Will do! :smile:
Reply 34
I'm hopefully going to the Kent open day on Wednesday, so I'll get a better idea.

Let me know how that goes! I'm looking at Kent too and am curious what others think of it cause I haven't had a chance to look there yet :smile:
Original post by eimmas
Let me know how that goes! I'm looking at Kent too and am curious what others think of it cause I haven't had a chance to look there yet :smile:

Just returned from it.

It was surprisingly nice, actually. The buses are fairly regular from the train stations and are between 75p and £1.50 depending on time of day. The campus is pretty large - comparable in size to Nottingham, if you've ever been? It's supposed to be 300 acres, and there's a great deal of greenery with some really lovely views over the whole of Canterbury. It's a collegiate system to the same degree that York is, and having visited about 3 colleges, the layout is basically the same as York's. Colleges contain accommodation, some contain a small restaurant, a reception, seminar rooms, computer rooms and a couple have lecture halls (notably, Woolf college). I only saw a room in Keynes - nothing hugely impressive, but probably not as decrepit as some of the rooms in Derwent and James. The majority of the buildings were flash and modern. The only building that looks like a council estate is the library, compared to about 75% of York's buildings.

I spoke to a history admissions officer, and he seemed like a nice enough chap as well. If it's not clear on the website, the history course is VERY flexible. There are only 2 compulsory modules over the three years, that's an introductory 'Making History' module, and the year three dissertation. Plus, there's a fairly broad range of periods to focus your modules on. The sports facilities looked adequate, there's a small uni shop, a bookshop and a supermarket on campus, all reasonably priced.

The city of Canterbury is very pretty. I'd say it's like a watered down, smaller version of York. There are a nice range of pubs and restaurants and whatnot, alongside cobbled streets, a fair about of medieval ruins and a great big, gorgeous Cathedral. That said, everything seemed a little too expensive. A lot of the heritage buildings offer tours that cost a few quid, and you have to pay £10 to just be within 150 yards of the Cathedral.

Hope I was helpful.
Reply 36
Anyone mind sticking me on too? :smile:

Username: JFA 95

Course: Politics & International Relations
Accommodation: Not sure yet
GCSEs: 3 A*s, 4 As, B, C
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Politics, History, English Literature, English Language (dropped)
AS Grades: AABB
A Level or Equivalent Predictions: A*A*A
Extras: School newspaper, Head girl, elected as UK rep at Your Europe, Your Say in the European Parliament, House of Commons debating, MP Placement, Newstatesman Journalist shadowing, internship at The Spectator

Cheers!
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak

If you're having trouble, please feel free to ask, and I'll add you myself.

Hi :smile: Please could you add me?

Username: Ellie_May :smile:
Course: Environmental Geography
Accommodation: Not sure, leaning towards James.
GCSEs: Distinction*, 5A's and 3B's
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Geography, Environmental Studies, English Lit.
AS Grades: AABC
Extras: Volunteer work, entered this years Young Geographer Of The Year competition, 'greenfect', been on fieldtrip to Iceland, won student of the year multiple times.

Reply 38

Still not completely sure, but at the moment:
-York
-Southampton
-Warwick or Lancaster
-St Andrews or Edinburgh?
-Birmingham
Hi everyone :biggrin:
Username- Annabel2455
Course- Chemistry probably with a year in industry
Accomodation- Like the look of Goodricke
GCSE- 8A* 3A
AS Level- Chemistry (A) Maths (A) physics(A) Biology (A) Further maths (-)
A Level Predictions - A*A*A
Extras- World challenge, chemistry mentor.

Please can someone add me to the stalking page, Thanks a lot :smile:
Anyone else for chemistry?

Quick Reply