The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone heard from the philosophy department?
University of York
York
Original post by Eboracum
An interesting argument. And of course, I accept Evolution. Perhaps if Sarah Palin was writing this response things would be a little different. So you've made humans, but what about society? what about civilisation? Your subject just provides Fred Flintstone esq cavemen who go round beating each other over the head with a clobber. Politics provides that civilisation. If we take the Hobbesian doctrine, everyone gives up a few freedoms to be part of a society. Or going back further to Ciceronian thought, the very Republic we live in consisting of a state and institutions, is because of Politics. I appreciate I'm getting technical, but we wouldn't have laboratories and experiments if it wasn't for politics, the State sets the conditions for you scientists to thrive.

I enjoy history and culture more than pouncing on sheep, dude. To be honest, each to their own. But for me I need the buzz of being in historical places, it's one of my three great loves actually is travel, you just can't beat it. But my Mum hates travelling also, so you are like her. Not weird, but you are your own woman.

Woman turn up to see me, it's an accepted fact. As you will this evening.

Alright, peace out.

To be honest, I don't know what most of that paragraph means. I really don't understand Politics at all!

My brother is just like you! He's actually going abroad to teach English as a foreign language next summer because he wants to 'see the world'. :smile: Travelling is just hassle for me though.

I turned up to do work, you just happened to be here. :tongue:
Anyone definitely firming York? I think I will be, for history. I'm quietly relieved that Durham rejected me, because I really doubt I'll get an A* this year. Too much pressure!
Reply 383
Username ShahramN
Course: History
Accommodation: hopefully Vanbrugh
GCSE: 3A3B5C
AS Levels: History B (retaking for A) Economics A Geography A Psychology A
Predicted: AAA
Extras- World Challenge + applying through Access
Has anyone hear back from the economics department?

Still waiting for a reply!!! :/
Has anyone had an offer for Politics & International Relations? My application got sent off last week Monday and I'm already a nervous wreck :L
Original post by Rennie Akoni
Has anyone had an offer for Politics & International Relations? My application got sent off last week Monday and I'm already a nervous wreck :L

Took York 22 days to give me an offer for Pol & IR! Calm down :P.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 387
Username: JoeWill
Course: English/Linguistics
Accommodation: Unsure
GCSE: 3A* 3A 3B 2C
AS Levels: History A (Resitting) Economics B English Language A (100%) Engligh Literature A (100%)
Predicted: A*A*A
Extras: EPQ
Original post by Northern_Ireland
Took York 22 days to give me an offer for Pol & IR! Calm down :P.

Hah! Okay that's calmed me down a bit :smile:. What conditions did you get?

Original post by Rennie Akoni
Hah! Okay that's calmed me down a bit :smile:. What conditions did you get?

AAB - Was surprised because the prospectus says AAA, but apparently that's a misprint.
Original post by Northern_Ireland
AAB - Was surprised because the prospectus says AAA, but apparently that's a misprint.

Oh right! I'm predicted AAB so I hope that's what I get offered.. If I get one x_x

Reply 391
Anyone heard from the Maths / CompSci department? I've applied for CompSci/Maths Equal
Reply 392
Original post by Astonix
Anyone heard from the Maths / CompSci department? I've applied for CompSci/Maths Equal

I have a computer science interview on December 8th.

Reply 393
Original post by Astonix

Had an interview about 2 weeks ago, offer AAA.

Think they said they do 3 main interview days each year, an early one (which I was at), then the main one which most people go to, and then one later on, so you have plenty of time.
Reply 394
Username: IQ Test
Course: Chemistry (MChem)
Accommodation: I've not really looked at this :biggrin:
GCSEs: 5A*s, 7As + 1A (short course)
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Physics
AS Grades: AAC (The C was 2 marks off a B and I'll resubmit my practical to pull it up, hopefully).
A Level or Equivalent Predictions: AAB
Extras: EPQ

I was given an interview last week for 7th January, but they said they will "guarantee me an offer once I've attended interview", so that's reassuring!

Best of luck to everyone, maybe I'll see you in January/ October?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 395
I already have my offer, but anyone else here applied for History? :smile:
Anyone heard from the environment department? x
Original post by vicky1234
I already have my offer, but anyone else here applied for History? :smile:

I have, and I've an offer too :smile:. Are you looking at firming?
Reply 398
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
I have, and I've an offer too :smile:. Are you looking at firming?

Oh, yay! Are you going to one of the visit days in February?
I will most likely be firming, yes; if I get an interview (and then offer) from Oxford, it'll be a hard decision, but there's a ridiculously high chance that I'll be firming York.

Yourself?
Original post by vicky1234
Oh, yay! Are you going to one of the visit days in February?
I will most likely be firming, yes; if I get an interview (and then offer) from Oxford, it'll be a hard decision, but there's a ridiculously high chance that I'll be firming York.

Yourself?

Yeah, I'll be firming it and visiting on the 20th :smile:. Don't discount yourself from Oxford though :P.
Have you visited York before?

Quick Reply