Reply 40
Username: LukeyJB
Course: LL.B Law
Accommodation: Not sure as of yet.
GCSEs: 1A*, 2A's, 4B's, 5C's.
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Biology, Economics & Law
AS Grades: BBC
A Level or Equivalent Predictions: AAA
Extras: Access to York (ext. circumstances).
University of York
York
Reply 41
Original post by Cameron 1
Still not completely sure, but at the moment:
-York
-Southampton
-Warwick or Lancaster
-St Andrews or Edinburgh?
-Birmingham

Ah, they're all good choices, although I'm not applying to any of them! I'm going York, Exeter, Sheffield, UEA and I haven't decided my last one; maybe Bristol?! Not sure.
Original post by pricey26
Ah, they're all good choices, although I'm not applying to any of them! I'm going York, Exeter, Sheffield, UEA and I haven't decided my last one; maybe Bristol?! Not sure.

York have already given out a Chemistry offer to someone who applied today :tongue:

They got great grades, and the admissions tutor had already met the candidate for 15-20 minutes at Open Day. Nothing more was needed :tongue: The uni hasn't even opened for admissions, so they sent an unofficial email to say they'll give an offer when they can :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by The Polymath
York have already given out a Chemistry offer to someone who applied today :tongue:

They got great grades, and the admissions tutor had already met the candidate for 15-20 minutes at Open Day. Nothing more was needed :tongue: The uni hasn't even opened for admissions, so they sent an unofficial email to say they'll give an offer when they can :smile:

Oh my god no way! I need to get into action then, I've done my PS and am just getting it checked and am aiming to send off UCAS by the end of next week. Thing is, I haven't actually seen York yet; the open day is this Saturday. But, now I'm worried I won't be able to go see it because of the floods... :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by The Polymath

Surely the uni will be open for admissions now because UCAS applications could be sent from the start of this month?
Original post by pricey26
Oh my god no way! I need to get into action then, I've done my PS and am just getting it checked and am aiming to send off UCAS by the end of next week. Thing is, I haven't actually seen York yet; the open day is this Saturday. But, now I'm worried I won't be able to go see it because of the floods... :frown:

I wouldn't worry - almost everyone seems to be interviewed, it was just that the tutor had already met him on open day, and had a long chat about the course. Also, his grades are... not bad :tongue:

Original post by eimmas
Surely the uni will be open for admissions now because UCAS applications could be sent from the start of this month?

They couldn't give out an offer. They said the system was not yet open to give them out, so they sent an unofficial letter "We are delighted to say that we WILL be giving you an offer as soon as we can"
Reply 46
Hello, would it be possible for me to be added please? Because I couldn't figure out how to. Thank you. :smile:
Username: Chisto6
Course: Archaeology or Historical Archaeology
Accomodation: Not sure
GCSES: 2As, 5Bs, 3Cs, one half a B and a Distinction.
A levels or equvalent subjects: Maths, Classics: Ancient History and Archaeology
AS levels: Maths, Classics: Ancient History, Classics: Classical Civilisations (doing this year), Modern History and Archaeology
AS Grades: ABBC
Predicted Grades: Not sure, but aiming for AAB or AAA or A*AB or A*AA
Extras: Level 1 in Sports Leadership, Level 2 in Preparation for Working Life, a Yellow belt in Taekwondo, former Prefect, former Peer mediator, former member of Young Archaeologist's Club, member of Council for British Archaeology and Certificate for Entry for Ancient History essay competition from St John's College, Oxford.
Could someone please add me too? :smile: I tried but failed terribly :frown:

Username: Straspberry
Course: Children's Nursing
Accommodation: Probably Alcuin
GCSEs: 2As, 4Bs, 2Cs and 1 Merit
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: Biology & OCR National Diploma in Health, Social Care and Early Years
AS grades: C, E and a Distinction
A level or Equivalent Predictions: Distinction and D (hoping to do better though! :biggrin:)
Extras: Volunteer at local hospital
Reply 48
Hey guys, very recent York convert here! Added it to my UCAS form at the last minute before sending it to my referee yesterday :smile: so I thought I'd pop over here and say hi :smile:
English applicant, by the way :smile: have visited, but only briefly in March time (my decision was so last minute I didn't go to the open day on Saturday, although not that I could have cos I was in Newcastle anyway...) Any other English applicants here?
Reply 49
Username: JFA 95
Accommodation: Alcuin
GCSEs: A*A*A*A A A A B C
AS grades: AABB (resitting a module)
A level or Equivalent Predictions: A*A*A
Extras: Local charity, Head Girl, MP work experience, experience at The New Statesman and The Spectator, debating society, chosen as a UK representative at an EU conference in Brussels, write online articles

Has anyone visited the campus? :smile:
Original post by JFA 95

Has anyone visited the campus? :smile:

I visited in July for the open day and York is definetly my favourite campus! The colleges were all different (some definetly nicer than others in terms of rooms etc), but the campus felt friendly, safe and compact. The library looked really modern and had lots of good facilities. At first I was a bit put off as it is located on the outskirts of the city, but the bus services are very good and my mum and I walked back from the university on the open day and it only took about half an hour. I'm not really sure what else to say! Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Kind of excited here.
Got a chemistry offer last week :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by summer_dreamer
I visited in July for the open day and York is definetly my favourite campus! The colleges were all different (some definetly nicer than others in terms of rooms etc), but the campus felt friendly, safe and compact. The library looked really modern and had lots of good facilities. At first I was a bit put off as it is located on the outskirts of the city, but the bus services are very good and my mum and I walked back from the university on the open day and it only took about half an hour. I'm not really sure what else to say! Hope this helps! :smile:

Wow, sounds great, thanks!

I heard some of the buildings seemed kind of outdated, however. For instance, I'm looking at Vanbrugh College but it seems rather grey? (I know, I know, it's superficial)
Original post by JFA 95
Wow, sounds great, thanks!

I heard some of the buildings seemed kind of outdated, however. For instance, I'm looking at Vanbrugh College but it seems rather grey? (I know, I know, it's superficial)

Some of the most central buildings were a bit older looking, I think Vanbrugh was one. I only visited James and Halifax, both of which were quite modern. They ran a mini bus to Halifax, but it really is only about a 5/10 minute walk through a really lush garden area :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by ErrinR
Kind of excited here.
Got a chemistry offer last week :biggrin:

me too! :smile: did you go to one of the august open days?
Username: tragicwords
Course applying for: English Language & Linguistics
Predicted Grades: AAB/ABB

I'm going to be honest here, I've heard that York is a beautiful place but I've never actually visited the university in my life. But I've sent off my UCAS form today and I'd love for anyone to message me/reply on here to tell me a little more about the university (obviously I've done my research and fell in love with the course) since I haven't visited there yet to get a feel for the place/look at the accommodation... things like that. :smile:

Has anyone received an offer yet from York? or is it too early days for them to be sending out applications?
Reply 56
Username: Lucy-x
Course: English in Education
Accommodation: Not 100% sure yet.. liking the look of Langwith/Goodricke though!!
GCSEs: 5As, 5Bs, 1C
A Level or Equivalent Subjects: English Lit, History, Religious Studies (A2), Media (AS - dropped)
AS Grades: AABC
A Level or Equivalent Predictions: AAA
Extras: Writer for the college magazine, relevant work experience, CU group.
Reply 57
Was it everyone's first day today? How did you find it. I'm studying applied social science and social policy

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 58
Original post by SusieChild
Was it everyone's first day today? How did you find it. I'm studying applied social science and social policy

We're applying for 2013 entry, so if we actually get in to York next year should be the first day :P
Reply 59
Original post by EllyR
me too! :smile: did you go to one of the august open days?

Yeah I did! I thought the mini interview thing had gone quite badly though because I was nervous! The letters they send are so personal and nice aren't they! Where else have you applied?

Quick Reply