The Student Room Group

Will there be more summer riots...

...because I could do with a new plasma TV. :biggrin: Just kidding. Do you think there will be more riots this year? I think last year it was triggered by the heatwave. (And the heatwave the year before that made people crazy and there were two rampaging serial killers). Or do you think the rioters will be scared off because a lot of them were captured on CCTV.

Scroll to see replies

I was thinking of this earlier today. I think that if any rioting does occur it will be in vain attempts by a minority to recreate the violence, but I think a lot less people will get involved and caught up in it because of the good job the police did in catching many rioters many months after the riots occurred.
There wont be another riot because as you said many people got caught. And it wasn't a heatwave that caused it and nobody cared about the guy who was shot (Mark Duggan I think) people just thought free ****, why not ? My younger brother actually had about 2 or 3 people on Blackberry messenger asking him to go saying ''Free ****'' and ''**** the police'' nothing about Mark.
Reply 3
Maybe not a heatwave as such but it was pretty warm during the night and as soon as it got cold and started raining coincidentally the riots stopped.
Reply 4
I hope not
You think a....heatwave...caused riots.

God help people working anywhere where the air conditioning breaks down.

/sarcasm
Reply 6
Any riot will allow the country's true idiots to shine.
Reply 7
yeah cause riots never happen in heatwaves

/sarcasm
Original post by noobynoo
I think last year it was triggered by the heatwave. (And the heatwave the year before that made people crazy and there were two rampaging serial killers).

Could your link be any more tenuous?
Good.
I think last year it was triggered by the heatwave. (And the heatwave the year before that made people crazy and there were two rampaging serial killers)

Then why aren't there riots all over the world every single summer? Or do heatwaves only affect people residing in the UK.
...because I could do with a new plasma TV. :biggrin: Just kidding. Do you think there will be more riots this year? I think last year it was triggered by the heatwave. (And the heatwave the year before that made people crazy and there were two rampaging serial killers). Or do you think the rioters will be scared off because a lot of them were captured on CCTV.

Oh you've said it now - prepare to be raided in the early hours of the morning by 400 police officers (because nothing beats a massive waste of people, time and resources when apprehending criminals does it?) for inciting riots, might want to pack... - see you in 4 years :redface:

In all seriousness no I don't think we will... I think last year it was sparked by the police shooting of someone (can't remember the name of the guy they killed though) which then turned ugly and then turned just into general looting by people claiming to have some kind of vague political cause...which was non-existent.
(edited 11 years ago)

As was the American revolution, the Russian revolution etc.
Reply 13
No, but hopefully there will be protests against areas where it really matters, I'm talking about the labour party, a party which essentially agrees with most of the austerity.
Reply 14
Be interesting how the police would react to it if the riots kicked off the same time while the Olympics where on. Probably send in the army..
Reply 15
There's something about rioting that seems so un-British. Protests and strikes I understand but rioting just seems pathetic.
I'm pretty sure rioting is illegal. Peaceful protesting on the other hand...
you can fool someone one time, but not twice! that will be the case with the Police:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Spaz Man
There's something about rioting that seems so un-British. Protests and strikes I understand but rioting just seems pathetic.

:ditto:

i would never understand rioters mind.
Reply 18
Even if there were riots, it wouldn't affect me much. I work at an Optician's and it seems youth nowadays just don't fancy looting glasses and contact lenses. Odd eh. :dontknow:

On a slightly more serious note, I reckon there will be some form of rioting in the upcoming, considering the amount of cuts the new government has implemented, and the narrowing of benefit criteria by some councils, particularly on housing and disability allowance. But I don't see how that would have anything to do with the summer/heat.
Reply 19
There was a heatwave last year? :confused:

All I remember is coming back from America and everyone was crazy and rioting and then it pissing it down for two months before I went back to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending