The Student Room Group

Is underbutt the new cleavage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by suncake
Are the majority of the female short-short-wearing population naturists?

If its true that it is "what is left on show", that defines someone as "slutty", then by definition all naturists are slutty.

I'm gently pointing out the flaw in his argument. Clothing is irrelevent to any notion of "sluttiness", if such a thing even exists.
Original post by Becca94
I do not refer to the gluteus maximus as 'booties', or to women as 'buxom ladies'. That is degrading.

But you said "Objectifying women by 'oogling' and such, which is obviously perverted."

So you don't look at women you find attractive?

Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Hahaha, you're a very good rustler you know that? You should think about getting into the biz professionally, could rustle a lot of jimmies.

My jimmies are indeed slightly rustled right now. Don't know if she's trolling or not...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Are naturists slutty?

Are naturists people on nudist beaches and so on?

If so then I'd argue that they are doing it in designated areas where it is the "norm" and so it isn't invoking any sexual connotations.

Wearing micro shorts or micro dresses (or whatever they're called) in an area where it isn't the norm, does, however, invoke sexual connotations. That is the key difference.

Naturists aren't looking for sexual attention, people wearing these mini dress things are, oftentimes.
Original post by Astronomical
Are you asking why is it bad to be slutty, or merely appear slutty?

The former because if the former is established to be okay then it follows there's nothing wrong with the later.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
My jimmies are indeed slightly rustled right now. Don't know if she's trolling or not...

Has to be, no one can be that dumb.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Shh, no tears. Only dreams now...
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Shh, no tears. Only dreams now...

Reply 106
Are naturists people on nudist beaches and so on?

If so then I'd argue that they are doing it in designated areas where it is the "norm" and so it isn't invoking any sexual connotations.

Wearing micro shorts or micro dresses (or whatever they're called) in an area where it isn't the norm, does, however, invoke sexual connotations. That is the key difference.

Naturists aren't looking for sexual attention, people wearing these mini dress things are, oftentimes.

So anyone who looks for attention off the opposite sex is slutty? I looked for such attention every time I went out clubbing when I was single, was I slutty?

I would also argue that wearing microskirts hasn't been non-normative behaviour since the 1960s, and showing areas of the buttocks is really no different to showing the legs or the upper breasts.

Of course, when showing cleavage and upper legs became acceptable there were repressive moralist luddites who described it as "disgusting", and "slutty". It doesn't surprise me that the same argument is being held this time round.
Original post by py0alb
So anyone who looks for attention off the opposite sex is slutty? I looked for such attention every time I went out clubbing when I was single, was I slutty?

I would also argue that wearing microskirts hasn't been non-normative behaviour since the 1960s, and showing areas of the buttocks is really no different to showing the legs or the upper breasts.

Of course, when showing cleavage and upper legs became acceptable there were repressive moralist luddites who described it as "disgusting", and "slutty". It doesn't surprise me that the same argument is being held this time round.

If you wore revealing clothing with the sole intention of attracting a sexual partner, then yes, you were being slutty, so to speak.

Indeed, but you have to draw a line else twenty years from now people will find it acceptable to walk around openly flaunting their genitalia. Is that acceptable in your opinion?

As far as I know, showing a lot of cleavage at inappropriate times is still frowned upon in the same manner as micro skirts/shorts. People who constantly show a lot of cleavage are usually seen as slutty.
most people who wear them have heaps of cellulite or no bum.
Reply 109
If you wore revealing clothing with the sole intention of attracting a sexual partner, then yes, you were being slutty, so to speak.

Indeed, but you have to draw a line else twenty years from now people will find it acceptable to walk around openly flaunting their genitalia. Is that acceptable in your opinion?

As far as I know, showing a lot of cleavage at inappropriate times is still frowned upon in the same manner as micro skirts/shorts. People who constantly show a lot of cleavage are usually seen as slutty.

Its perfectly acceptable to me, yes. I find it puzzling why anyone would find the sight of specific bits of other people's bodies so much more offensive than other bits. Why is a breast more offensive than an elbow?
i admit to having shorts like these
BUT i have an excuse
i'm 5.9 1/2
do you know how hard it is to find actually nice shorts that short enough to just below the bum and not long enough to be mid thigh length which i don't like?

don't hate. appreciate.
Reply 111
Original post by Laura1234567890
i admit to having shorts like these
BUT i have an excuse
i'm 5.9 1/2
do you know how hard it is to find actually nice shorts that short enough to just below the bum and not long enough to be mid thigh length which i don't like?

don't hate. appreciate.

appreciated :wink:
The former because if the former is established to be okay then it follows there's nothing wrong with the later.

It's just not very classy, really. There isn't anything inherently wrong with having sex, but when somebody is having sex with effective strangers just for the sake of it, it does bring their standards into question, and even more so, their respectability.

I feel promiscuity encourages the objectification of women, which I'm sure you'd agree is not befitting of 21st century Britain, or, indeed, of anywhere else.
Original post by py0alb
Its perfectly acceptable to me, yes. I find it puzzling why anyone would find the sight of specific bits of other people's bodies so much more offensive than other bits. Why is a breast more offensive than an elbow?

It's not offensive; nowhere did I say it was offensive.

It all boils down, to me, to the fact that when somebody is revealing most of their body to everyone in the public, they lack self-respect with respect to their appearance. I can't respect people who have no respect for themselves.

It also gives the impression that said person is lacking in creativity and personality, to the extent that they cannot fathom a manner in which to dress and look attractive without exposing most of the body parts that the other sex is naturally drawn to. It's unimaginative, dull, and tasteless.
Reply 114
I feel promiscuity encourages the objectification of women, which I'm sure you'd agree is not befitting of 21st century Britain, or, indeed, of anywhere else.

I feel people feeling the need to comment on other's sex lives - particularly repeating this ridiculous notion that women should somehow behave differently to men just because they're women, is what encourages the condescension towards women, and concurrent objectification of them.

Never mind the 21st century, your views belong in the 1930s. Sex is fun, you should try it some day.
Reply 115
It all boils down, to me, to the fact that when somebody is revealing most of their body to everyone in the public, they lack self-respect with respect to their appearance.

*******s. NOT bothering to make yourself look attractive reveals a lack of self respect. Making an effort to impress people is the direct opposite, surely.
It's just not very classy, really. There isn't anything inherently wrong with having sex, but when somebody is having sex with effective strangers just for the sake of it, it does bring their standards into question, and even more so, their respectability.

Classy is subjective. In many parts of the world, premartial sex is seen as unclassy. That's like arguing against mars bars because you personally don't like it. Surely you can recognize the problems with trying to apply your opinions to everyone? What does it have to do with respectability? How are they related? Humans have sexual desires thus what's wrong with fulfilling these desires? People tend to have sex more than 50 times a year, so what exactly is the difference between having sex 50 times a year with the same person and having sex 50 times a year wit a different person each time? It could make sense for you to not want a relationship at this present time because you're focusing on school or work.

Nah, you're just trying to take the easy way out and justify yourself as somehow a patron for women's right by talking about objectification. Please, tell me how it objectifies women? Because it encourages men to look at women's bodies? What's wrong with that? Women look at men's bodies too. Unless you're asexual, you're going to look.
If I wanted to wear hotpants that showed off my 'undercleavage' my parents wouldn't let me leave the house!! (And I wouldn't want to either).
I just think the whole look is slutty, whereas I am a fan of shorts and own several pairs I am not in favour of 'denim thongs'. I've seen girls in town wearing them, they look like slags and its really not a good look!!!
Original post by py0alb
*******s. NOT bothering to make yourself look attractive reveals a lack of self respect. Making an effort to impress people is the direct opposite, surely.

I don't entirely agree. You'll find that with many girls, they 'dress to impress', if you like, so as to conceal their insecurity. Of course, this doesn't speak for all chicks, but I've noticed that when girls put on more make-up and more revealing outfits (and I have absolutely nothing against either), it's normally because they feel more confident about themselves. To go out with pretty average clothes and no make-up is a sign of true confidence as you feel fine in your skin.

Like I said, this doesn't speak for everyone.
Reply 119

Nah, you're just trying to take the easy way out and justify yourself as somehow a patron for women's right by talking about objectification. Please, tell me how it objectifies women? Because it encourages men to look at women's bodies? What's wrong with that? Women look at men's bodies too. Unless you're asexual, you're going to look.

It is somewhat ironic that the same person who decries any liberated female proud enough of her bum to make a feature out of it as a disgusting "slut", then claims to be speaking out in favour of modern 21st century liberal values. Talk about irony.

I will castigate all women as filthy sluts to save them from being objectified by patronising men!

Quick Reply

Latest