The Student Room Group

Access Course. Do I have to pay for the fees if...

Hi, everyone!

Was wondering if I would have to pay for tuition fees for the Access Course that I am enrolling in. I have received a letter today detailing me about the course's tuition fees and that I do not have to pay them if I am

19-24 and studying my first full Level 3 qualification

I am receiving any of the following benefits

- Jobseekers Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, etc.

Do I need to be studying my first lvl3 qual -AND- be on JSA?

I am 20 and went to college to do my A levels when I was 17. Unfortunately, I had health problems which resulted in quite a few hospital visits. I didn't do so great in my end of year exams and wasn't able to do the last year of it. Does that mean I am not eligible for the first point?

Right now, I am on Jobseekers Allowance and have been for the past couple of months.

My main question is: Would I still be eligible for them to pay off my tuition fees with me just being on JSA? I don't know if me doing one year of AS means that I've done a full level 3 qualification...?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
In my experience picking up the phone and speaking to your college receptionist often yields good results - it's almost like they are there to handle the administration of the courses.
Reply 2
Original post by pacific4130
In my experience picking up the phone and speaking to your college receptionist often yields good results - it's almost like they are there to handle the administration of the courses.

im sory wat is phone

but srsly, I've been trying to call the Advice and Admissions team several times today with no luck. No harm in posting a thread about it.
Reply 3
Only your college can give a definitive answer. You are a bit vague about your previous A level studies, if you only took AS exams and did not enroll for the A2 course, then technically you haven't attempted a level 3 course. If however you did take your A2 exams, you have already completed a level 3 course. But then there are exceptions for 19-24 year old funding, so your previous level 3 studies may not count, if you did not complete them. But this may depend on your college.

You don't say whether you are on Job Seekers Allowance Contibution or Income based. Most colleges I have looked at, only give concessions for Income based version of Job Seekers Allowance.

There may be a different levels of fee concessions available, depending on your circumstances. If illness forced you to withdraw from your previous studies, the college may exercise discretion on what fees are due.

If you can't get through on the phone, try going in person.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey there :smile:
I was worried also about having to pay fees - I'm in basically the same boat. I went to college after my GCSE's but am currently on JSA. I was getting stressed out about trying to find funding etc but in the end simply phoned up my college and was straight up told that I wouldn't have to pay (I'm 19). Just phone up and see what you're told - it should be the same thing! Hurry though because you don't have long to apply now! Good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by Tigrah99
Hey there :smile:
I was worried also about having to pay fees - I'm in basically the same boat. I went to college after my GCSE's but am currently on JSA. I was getting stressed out about trying to find funding etc but in the end simply phoned up my college and was straight up told that I wouldn't have to pay (I'm 19). Just phone up and see what you're told - it should be the same thing! Hurry though because you don't have long to apply now! Good luck x

Hiya, that's great to hear! I got through to them and they said that I should be eligible for it, but they were concerned about how long my course is because it will affect my JSA, and will also affect any concessions I would get. I didn't understand that. Do they want us to be on JSA while we're studying? Anyway, I'm just going to check with my local Job Centre and ask. Thanks for your reply! :smile:x
Reply 6
You need to be on JSA at the time you enroll and start your course, to qualify for the concession. The Job Centre will make an assessment about whether the time spent on your courses means you are not available for work and therefore not eligible for JSA.

If the Job Centre decide that you are not actively looking for work because you are waiting to start your course, you could have your JSA stopped early. Other posters have suggested that waiting until you have actually enrolled and have your class timetable in hand is the point where you inform the Job Centre of your change of circumstance. It all comes down to whether your timetabled class are seen as below 16 hours a week and whether self study time is taken into account.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by pacific4130

I also find not bothering to post when you're just gonna be a dick is beneficial.

I was in the same boat as you last year, and I got my fees waved apart from a £50 admin fee.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
I'm not sure that actually being on JSA all throughout the course is actually needed for the concession, just at time of applying maybe. I'm also not sure whether we even can stay on JSA while studying - I would think not as it's classed as full time education. However I know that most access courses aren't 5 days a week, in some cases even as little as two days, so depending on that you may be allowed to stay on it if they think you have enough time to still be actively seeking work. I will be having a chat with my job center about it this week too :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by edjunkie
You need to be on JSA at the time you enroll and start your course, to qualify for the concession. The Job Centre will make an assessment about whether the time spent on your courses means you are not available for work and therefore not eligible for JSA.

If the Job Centre decide that you are not actively looking for work because you are waiting to start your course, you could have your JSA stopped early. Other posters have suggested that waiting until you have actually enrolled and have your class timetable in hand is the point where you inform the Job Centre of your change of circumstance. It all comes down to whether your timetabled class are seen as below 16 hours a week and whether self study time is taken into account.

I will do that. Thank you!
Original post by Alencity
im sory wat is phone

but srsly, I've been trying to call the Advice and Admissions team several times today with no luck. No harm in posting a thread about it.

what you mean what is phone? basically all what he/she meant, was give them a call!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Wild Horses
what you mean what is phone? basically all what he/she meant, was give them a call!

Then tell me straight up. He/she didn't have to be a dick about it. I even called them before I made the thread.
Original post by Alencity
Then tell me straight up. He/she didn't have to be a dick about it. I even called them before I made the thread.

in all fairness, i saw no offense with his/her response. It was just positive advice, wasn't meant to be rude or anything. It may of came across negative to you but looking at it, wasn't meant to cause offense.
Reply 13
It was quite obviously sarcastic, which is very unnecessary. This is what the forum is for anyway, for questions like this. Sometimes you just don't get the help you need from phoning up!
Original post by Tigrah99
It was quite obviously sarcastic, which is very unnecessary. This is what the forum is for anyway, for questions like this. Sometimes you just don't get the help you need from phoning up!

It appears so but it wasn't!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending