The Student Room Group

Medical Schools Which Put Less Emphasis on GCSE'S?

Hi, does anyone know which medical schools put less emphasis on GCSE's than others? I know that they all require quite high grades but some like Birmingham want very high GCSE's unlike others. I have 5A* and i was wondering which would be the best university for me to apply for. I have heard that these universities do not put a lot of emphasis on GCSE's : Queen Mary, St Georges, Liverpool and Leicester. Is this true? Are there any others ?
Reply 1
Original post by medicdreamer
Hi, does anyone know which medical schools put less emphasis on GCSE's than others? I know that they all require quite high grades but some like Birmingham want very high GCSE's unlike others. I have 5A* and i was wondering which would be the best university for me to apply for. I have heard that these universities do not put a lot of emphasis on GCSE's : Queen Mary, St Georges, Liverpool and Leicester. Is this true? Are there any others ?

Did you only take five subjects? If not what did you get overall and more importantly what grades in English, Maths and Sciences.?
Reply 2
Do a search there is a whole wiki page on TSR showing exactly what the GCSE entry requirements are.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

5A* sounds around the average of what most people have give or take a few.
Reply 3
I received 5a* 5a 2b's at GCSE which includes A* in Biology, A* in Maths, A* in English Lang, A in Physics ,Chemistry and English Lit.

I have looked at the entry requirements for the GCSE's which can be c in maths & english etc. but this does not mean that they accept these students. I wanted to know if anyone, maybe someone who has been on a interview panel, knew which universities there is a greater chance of getting into even if i don't have 12A*.
Reply 4
Original post by medicdreamer
I received 5a* 5a 2b's at GCSE which includes A* in Biology, A* in Maths, A* in English Lang, A in Physics ,Chemistry and English Lit.

I have looked at the entry requirements for the GCSE's which can be c in maths & english etc. but this does not mean that they accept these students. I wanted to know if anyone, maybe someone who has been on a interview panel, knew which universities there is a greater chance of getting into even if i don't have 12A*.

Seriously those GCSEs are absolutely fine for most medical schools apart from places like Oxford, Edinburgh and Kings (unless you get a high UKCAT) . You would get 18/18 for GCSE point score if you applied to Liverpool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending