The Student Room Group

Contraceptive Implant

I have decided to go on the Nexplanon contraceptive implant, but just had a few questions to ask. See the main thing that has put me off sex is the worry of getting pregnant even with the use of the condom and being very careful during foreplay. I am still a virgin but even when me and my boyfriend are just messing around with foreplay I am very concious about how close his cum gets to me! We are at the stage where we both feel ready to have sex but I said I don't feel comfortable just using condoms, and that I was considering the pill or the implant, there's something about the pill that I just don't trust as it's quite specific about having to take it at the exact same time every day and that there is always going to be a day when you miss it regardless of how organised you are, I also said I'd want to use condoms as well as the pill but then thought what's the point in getting contraception if I'm going to use a condom anyway. So I thought I'd settle with the implant as it says it's over 99% effective and I know a few people who have had it and what not and don't have to worry about contraception for 3 years. My question is that if you're on the implant or have had the implant, did you still use condoms to prevent pregnancy? Or just relied purely on the implant? (I know condoms are to prevent STI's also but me and my boyfriend are both virgins so no worry about that!)

This is a legitimate question, I do know a lot about contraception and am very careful when it comes to sexual activity with my boyfriend, it's just something I am curious about and if anyone else has the same worries? Because we obviously want to try sex without a condom if I am on another form of contraception, so yeah, thanks for reading!
Reply 1
I just rely on the implant.
Reply 2
I just rely on the implant too :smile:
I just rely on the implant too, although due to continuous spotting I'm also on the progesterone only pill as well to try to stop the bleeding. Seeing as both are individually used as stand alone very effective types of contraception I feel super safe (I'm aware its just essentially a higher dose of progesterone though). Hopefully after a while I can stop taking the POP but I'll still just rely on the implant.
Reply 4
I use only the implant. Its designed as a stand alone pregnancy prevention (no STI protection ofc), and because there isn't the potential for user error such as missed pills, stomach bugs,or condoms splitting, I'm much happier using the implant and only the implant.
Reply 5
I just use the implant, its soo effective i dont think you need to worry about condoms! When i got mine in, the nurse told me that no one had ever got pregnant on it unless they were pregnant before it was put in or it was the old type of implant (which they no longer give people, and people only got pregnant on this coz they were being fitted wrong). Apparently its a lot more effective at preventing pregnancy than the pill so don't worry basically!
Reply 6
Does anyone know how it works immediately just because it's been put in during your period? They said at the doctors and on every website I've read about the implant that if it's inserted when you're on your period it's effective immediately but if it's not then it takes 7 days to become effective, luckily I was on my period when mine was put in but I still wanted to wait a week.. turns out me and my boyfriend done it for the first time 6 days after I got it inserted, even though I know everyone was saying it's effective immediately if you're on your period when it's inserted I was still a bit worried in the back of my mind that I had only waited 6 days instead of 7 even though I apparently didn't need to wait a week, just wondering does anyone actually know why it's effective immediately just because you're on your period? I know I must sound very paranoid but there's nothing wrong with not wanting to become pregnant :P!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know how it works immediately just because it's been put in during your period? They said at the doctors and on every website I've read about the implant that if it's inserted when you're on your period it's effective immediately but if it's not then it takes 7 days to become effective, luckily I was on my period when mine was put in but I still wanted to wait a week.. turns out me and my boyfriend done it for the first time 6 days after I got it inserted, even though I know everyone was saying it's effective immediately if you're on your period when it's inserted I was still a bit worried in the back of my mind that I had only waited 6 days instead of 7 even though I apparently didn't need to wait a week, just wondering does anyone actually know why it's effective immediately just because you're on your period? I know I must sound very paranoid but there's nothing wrong with not wanting to become pregnant :P!

The implant is put in during the first 5 days of your period so as to 1) make sure you're not pregnant and 2) make sure that you're not ovulating. If both of these are assured, then it's safe to say the implant will be effective right away. Outside this time frame, it's impossible to tell whether you've ovulated or not (as menstrual cycle length varies greatly between women, and even in the same one woman) and thus the chance of getting pregnant increases.

Hope that helped. :smile:
Reply 8
Always use a condom. Increased protection is always a good thing.
Reply 9
I just use my implant. Sex without condoms makes sex feel more intimate, especially when he cums.

I used to use the pill but sometimes id forget to take it and id end up worrying about being pregnant. Whoever invented this implant deserves all the praise and money in the world.
Reply 10
I just rely on the implant :smile: I've always been wondering how effective it really is even though it says 99% but for someone to have never become pregnant with it? That's epic :smile: Im a very happy bunny now :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If you get the implant can u have unprotected sex after 5 days ?
Do you know can u have unprotected sex after 5 days of getting the implant
You can have unprotected sex 7 days after getting the implant :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest