Turn on thread page Beta

university - should every1 be able to go? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    every1 agrees that unis need more money but they're rowing about how it shud b funded. I think there's an easy answer. Have a lot less unis. Crap unis like Thames Valley + Anglia Polytechnic shouldn't b around. I don't think people with D's and E's should b goin 2 uni anyway. I may b sounding elitist here but thewhen people with D's and E's can get a degree it really does devalue a degree. Originally only academically able people could go to university for a degree - that was it's purpose. Now every1 can get a degree. If u r one of those people who doesn't do that well at school u shud b able to get practical training to be a plumber or an electrician for example. You could earn a lot more than a graduate and fulfil the country's national shortage of skilled workers. You'll probably think this is an elitist idea but if u think about it carefully it is very logical. If there were less unis then there would not need to be tuition fees and young people who don't go to university could get decent job-based trainin g and earn a decent wage and not get into debt by goin 2 uni.

ReputationRep:
    Only the academic elite should get into university.

ReputationRep:
    If they're capable of succeeding in University then obviously they should go.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. If a student fails to achieve a decent pass at A-Level, why should they feel entitled to go to a university?

It’s like saying people who aren’t exceptional at athletics should be chosen for an Olympic squad, in order to fulfil an unrealistic potential.

ReputationRep:
    We need more vocational orientated graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    We need more vocational orientated graduates.
    We do not need to label them graduates. That just undermines the academic superiors.

ReputationRep:
    if you have the capabilities, then you should go to uni. however, there are so many people with those capabilities that it is difficult to work out who should go and who should not based on A-level grades. an extra, more stringent exam would be useful, or something based on your intelligence- althought such a test might only measure your ability to do IQ tests, rather than your potential IQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    We do not need to label them graduates. That just undermines the academic superiors.
    I couldn't find a better word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    Now every1 can get a degree.
    By everyone do you mean the 25% or so of our age group who get three A level passes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    By everyone do you mean the 25% or so of our age group who get three A level passes?
    Even without three A-Level passes you can get into a degree course. At a struggling one albeit but you can. Which is shambolic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    if you have the capabilities, then you should go to uni. however, there are so many people with those capabilities that it is difficult to work out who should go and who should not based on A-level grades. an extra, more stringent exam would be useful, or something based on your intelligence- althought such a test might only measure your ability to do IQ tests, rather than your potential IQ
    Perhaps the argument is that A-Levels do not effectively test your suitability for a degree?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the argument is that A-Levels do not effectively test your suitability for a degree?
    It would ruin the global economy if everyone went to univeristy, the workplace needs unskilled and manual labourers

ReputationRep:
    Even without three A-Level passes you can get into a degree course. At a struggling one albeit but you can.
    Well yes, but that is splitting hairs, really.

The point being that those eligible to do academic courses are in fact in a definite minority of our age group as a whole. Not "everyone".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    It would ruin the global economy if everyone went to univeristy, the workplace needs unskilled and manual labourers
    It's an awful statement to make but it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    It's an awful statement to make but it's true.
    lol not that bad to make... some manual labourers pull in 6 figures and they can always do it under the table and avoid tax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    very true, which is where the labour government went wrong in trying to get most people into uni. some people shouldn't go to uni, not because they're thick, but because they would be better working on something tangible e.g. repairing cars, then something intangible e.g. advertising.

to ZJuwelH: yes, I think that was the argument I was trying to make, but at the moment I am finding it difficult to make my points coherant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    I may b sounding elitist here but thewhen people with D's and E's can get a degree it really does devalue a degree.
    How does it devalue a degree? An EED student is unlikely to get a good degree pass and therefore wont be up against an AAA Bristol degree holder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Well yes, but that is splitting hairs, really.

The point being that those eligible to do academic courses are in fact in a definite minority of our age group as a whole. Not "everyone".
    But plenty of people that aren't eligible to do an academic degree are doing them. That's a reflection on the universities that their degrees aren't worthy of the name "degree".

Alee, what's so bad about the statement?

ReputationRep:
    your first point was true, albeit within the very limited sphere of a capitalist economy.

(Original post by MuniE)
    lol not that bad to make... some manual labourers pull in 6 figures and they can always do it under the table and avoid tax
    but this is just utterly bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    25% of people people do only get 3 A level passes. There was a report on this on the BBC. As for getting into university without A level passes you would have to an access course before going onto degree level.

Universities need to provide education for different areas of study, why is developing internet forums such as vBulliten less valid than say reading English?

We all watch TV (I assume) we all watch edited programmes, this involves a lot of background knowledge which cannot be learned on the job.

The attitude of some people on this forum really annoys me. Its like you're still living in the 1950's.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.